What would It's civics be?

United States of America
-----------------------

Universal Suffrage
Free Speech
Emancipation
Free Market
Free Religion

I'll put a few other countries up here too.

Islamic Republic of Iran
----

Representation
Free Speech
Emancipation
Free Market
Theocracy

People's Republic of China
------

Police State
Bureaucracy
Serfdom
Free Market
Free Religion

Russian Federation
------

Universal Suffrage
Free Speech
Emancipation
Free Market
Free Religion

Democratic People's Republic of Korea
-----------

Police State
Nationhood
Serfdom
State Property
Free Religion

And some dead nations/previous regimes.

Roman Republic
--------------

Representation
Vassalage
Caste System
Decentralization
Paganism

Nazi Germany
------------

Police State
Nationhood
Slavery
State Property
Theocracy

I almost agree.

United States of America: With Alternatives, it's not so black and white.

Police State / Representation (the U.S. is more a Republic then a Democracy)
Bureaucracy / Free Speech
Caste System / Emancipation
Free Market
Free Religion

It's also on it's way to gaining a Nationhood mark.

... What a great country

We get a Police State mark for spying on American citizens, which is in a huge legal controversy at the moment and for other ease dropping, in addition to the Patriot Act and Employing Para-Military/Merc groups such as Blackwater, not only in Iraq (which makes the total number of troops much much higher) but within our own country such as to keep order in New Orleans which ended up in a very large fiasco of intimidating citizens, also they have been passing laws in some states that make it illegal to take pictures or videos of cops on duty (now I wonder why that is) also for handgun bans in washington which are unconstitutional and suppressing research and using propaganda within its own country.

We elect our officials democratically but after that we have no say in the government in a true democracy the people dictate the rules, it's put to a majority vote and since federal law trumps local/state law any law your county state passes is really irrelevant, doctors in california are currently being arrested for prescribing medicinal marijuana even though it's legal under state law, people with extreme illness have actually been denied protection by the court even when they are in the court room and the doctor is on stand saying if you deny her this she will be dead in two weeks, yet they don't care.. even though it's legal in cali.

Emancipation is true and not true, the republican party is notorious for suppressing voter turn out especially of minorities in the south.

Also you can remember bush's last election, he lost the majority vote but still won.. thats not being elected by the people, he was elected by the courts and how our "state election" system works. They also turned away thousands and thousands of voters mostly minority because of silly things like overlapping there marks on there ballot.

Caste system because even though you may technically be able to be anything in this country, it works differently in reality, the family you come from has a huge impact on your standing and where you can/will go in life.

Free Religion though technically accurate isn't 100%, watch the elections and debates, almost everyone tries to show christian religion ties and speak to that group, you don't see them talking to the muslim or mormon (even though one is running) and the like. Reading the dollar bill or most currency in the United States it reads "In God We Trust".

We do have a free market.. I guess

Just answering your question, not trying to argue or debate anything, just my opinions.

Like I was saying where you come from in this country has a huge impact on who you are what you think and what you will do. Were just from different lives/worlds.

I don't think any civilization in real life could be put into a single civic very easily. Most have combinations of a few or all.

Curious you didn't put China as State Property.. :)

Let's see, for Brazil...

Representation / Universal Suffrage (though elected by the people individually, deputies represent their parties' interests)
Free Speech (though Brazil has a monstrous Bureaucracy, the Free Speech here is way strong)
Emancipation
Free Market
Free Religion

I think we can put atlest the entire western world down for
Representation/Universal suffrage
Free speech
Emancipation
Free Market
Free religion

Alltough I am pretty sure that many feel the entire western world is the opposite. I hope this thread, which is a good one, can be free of discussions like: "are we really free?"

The problems are the grey areas. I cringe when I see that Russia has the same civics as US (or brazil for that matter). At the same time I can not make a case for anything else.

KK

Spoiler :
Islamic Republic of Iran
----

Representation
Free Speech
Emancipation
Free Market
Theocracy

------

Police State
Bureaucracy
Serfdom
Free Market
Free Religion

Russian Federation
------

Universal Suffrage
Free Speech
Emancipation
Free Market
Free Religion

Democratic People's Republic of Korea
-----------

Police State
Nationhood
Serfdom
State Property
Free Religion

And some dead nations/previous regimes.

Roman Republic
--------------

Representation
Vassalage
Caste System
Decentralization
Paganism

Nazi Germany
------------

Police State
Nationhood
Slavery
State Property
Theocracy

I disagree with the bolded.

State of Israel
Representation
Free Speech
Emancipation
Free Market
Free Religion

Which more or less accurately describes nearly all Western countries.

European Union
Representation
Free Speech
Emancipation
Environmentalism
Free Religion

Tank tunker touches on a hot topic in political science. Does a true democracy excist?

If you give israel the representation civic, you will be hard pressed to give the universal suffrage civic to anyone. In my defenition the civic representation is a system where there is not universal suffrage, but where the nation is ruled by an elected elite assembly. Before Universal suffrage most western countries fit here, along with the Roman republic. A banana to anyone who can think of someone who fits into that category today, I can't at the moment.

I would use the universal suffrage on any nation with universal suffrage (duh). Which means most of the western world.

KK

SickCycle dont forget about what happened on may 9 that as far as im aware was never even commented on by any corparately owned media networks. I refer to NSPD 51, i think it gives a mark to police state myself, or one of them consentrated power goverment forms.

Still people in power dont seem to learn that if you concentrate the power in the hands of the few it will only lead to a downfall for any nation that allows such action, the larger the nation the more freedom it requires to remain intact.

In my opinion the representation civic can represent three diferent systems:

1) The state is ruled by a elected group, but: not every person can vote or has the same weigth on his votes. It may be that everybody can be elected or only people that has the support of the goverment.
Example: Almost all Western countries during the 18th, 19th and early 20th century.

2) A system in which some of the rulers can be elected while the rest acces by other means. The elected part may have no power or may share it with the non eligible part.
Examples: Bismarks Deutsche Reich, Present day Iran

3) A system similar to 2) but in which the elected part of the goverment is the one that has real power.
Examples: Parlamentary monarchies.

The Universal sufrage civic represents in my opinion a system under which every citizen has the right to vote for his representatives and all votes have (more or less) the same value, like the USA, Germany, France and other democracies.
Of course a system in which all the laws and actions are voted directly by all citizens is usually not posible. The country that gets nearest may be Switzerland, where many laws have to be voted by the public.

European Union
Representation
Free Speech
Emancipation
Environmentalism
Free Religion

...but this isn't a country. It consists of 27 different countries. Its quite unique. You should see the problems you have trying to set up in one country coming from another despite laws on the free movement of workers.

I think Democratic People's Republic of Korea is North Korea. I also think TheAmericans assessment is pretty good, except for the free religion bit. Or did I misunderstand you Anonyjjang?

I also think Qwerts arguments are pretty good. A banana for him. I agree that Iran might be a representative civic government.

When it comes to Russia and Free speech, its kind of in the middle. It has some free speech, and none of the other civics fit.

KKL

I think Democratic People's Republic of Korea is North Korea. I also think TheAmericans assessment is pretty good, except for the free religion bit. Or did I misunderstand you Anonyjjang?

I also think Qwerts arguments are pretty good. A banana for him. I agree that Iran might be a representative civic government.

When it comes to Russia and Free speech, its kind of in the middle. It has some free speech, and none of the other civics fit.

KKL

Oh, yeah you're right.

From CIA World FactBook:
conventional long form: Democratic People's Republic of Korea
conventional short form: North Korea
local long form: Choson-minjujuui-inmin-konghwaguk
note: the North Koreans generally use the term "Choson" to refer to their country
abbreviation: DPRK

------

Police State
Bureaucracy
Serfdom
Free Market
Free Religion

You're joking, right? Ask the Falun Gong practitioners about China's freedom of religion. The best way to model the Chinese government's attitude to religion in the game would be theocracy with no state religion.

This seems to be an endless source of confusion for many people here. Free religion = secularism. It definitely does not mean no religion; it means no state religion, and it means tolerance of all religions present in a country, and also of atheist/agnostic thought. If you want to model the more extreme versions of fundamentalist atheism, such as that seen in Russia under Stalin, use theocracy + no state religion. A country which tries to force its citizens to adopt an atheist outlook is not an example of free religion.

Under Dubya Bush it's more like..

Police State (woo Patriot Act!)
Bureaucracy
Caste System (Paris Hilton doesn't have to be punished like us commoners)
Free Market
Theocracy (God bless America, in God we trust, Creationism being taught in public schools)

Top Bottom