I''ll say it first - Civ is dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrhell

Chieftain
It had a great run...greatest game series of all time. But this is just terrible on so many levels...between the intrusive steam bloatware getting between me and my game, unfulfilled preorders, inability to perform on directx10 or 11 after demanding really high system specs, and have to TRY to play the demo; not just simply play it, no, TRY over and over to MAYBE have steam LET you play it...only to stop suddenly and put you back to hitting play for the hundredth time and sitting through the stupid movie AGAIN.
When my copy actually arrives(what was the point of preordering again?) I won't even open it, it'll be sent back.
So long civ, we had a hell of a run.

Typical release day drama queen crap. Nothing to see here.

typical "everything is awesome cause I spent money on it" crap. I'll bet any amount of money this game doesn't have half the sales, mods or forum traffic of civ 3 or 4.

I like how you didn't list a single complaint about the actual game...

It had a great run...greatest game series of all time. But this is just terrible on so many levels...between the intrusive steam bloatware getting between me and my game, unfulfilled preorders, inability to perform on directx10 or 11 after demanding really high system specs, and have to TRY to play the demo; not just simply play it, no, TRY over and over to MAYBE have steam LET you play it...only to stop suddenly and put you back to hitting play for the hundredth time and sitting through the stupid movie AGAIN.
When my copy actually arrives(what was the point of preordering again?) I won't even open it, it'll be sent back.

haha, I can play it on my laptop just fine with medium settings, running about 12 hours now with not a single stutter.

Sucks to be you :lol:

Obviously some players will like the game more than others.

Therefore, so you don't become a hypocrite, when someone says they love the game, we will all expect you to say the same thing there as well.

He didn't even talk about THE GAME. He's whining and crying about stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with actually playing the game.

There are things that are wonderful, and things that need to be fiddled with. The modding community will soon be in high gear, and I expect the few teething pains in the game will be addressed by Firaxis quite soon.

It's much to early to condemn the game at this point. :crazyeye:

I wish there was an UNLIKE button here. I think Civ 5, particularly the combat, has regained focus from becoming a micro management nightmare (I can spend my day reconciling bank accounts for that) to that of a strategy game, with some much more serious military thought required.

I really like it. And strangely enough I really enjoy the strategic map. I mean it is a game, so let's get the game info. If you want photorealistic graphics, why not look outside the window?

Mike

You haven't even played the game. Of course it is terrible! /sarcasm

Hes complaining that the Demo has only DX9 combatability, well so what, the full game has DX11. Anyone whos got it could probably confirm it works.

Just let off some Steam. ;)
What is your system its running on?
I learned my lesson on Civ IV not to preorder something I must have on day 1 ... painful lesson, still hurts too.

I kind of hate posts like these.

It's not the end, the sales will be through the roof, all but guaranteeing a Civ6.

All that aside, because your complaint is probably not about sales, have you played the game? How many times? You've formed a completely bulletproof opinion in...what, less than a day?

Civ 5 is NOT Civ 4.

Civ 4 was NOT Civ 3.

etc.

Each new version brings something new, and sheds some things, and every time people complain.

Do you remember the launch of Civ 4? It was atrocious(bugs, broken elements, etc.), by civ standards, and look what we got in the end.

Civ 5 is nowhere near close to being that rocky at release, and it seems to me, and others, to be extremely polished and clean.

Why don't you take a step back and look at it as a separate game rather than through your Civ4 glasses, and try to play it that way.

You might find you enjoy it.

I've played Civ since numero uno. I think there's a lot to like in Civ5, and little to hate.

-The combat is actually fun, and tactical.

-The social policies are a wonderful addition and much better than the static civics of Civ4(where half were useless).

-The addition of City-States seems like it should have been done ages ago, and really adds to the feel of the world.

-The Music is amazing, the look of the game is elegant and pretty.

I could go on, there's a lot to like. Do yourself a favor and don't rush to a decision.

Why does this thread even still exist(IE: Not deleted) shouldn't it be thrown in the abyss with all the old "PC gaming is dieing/dead" threads from 10 years ago?

Yeah, trying all day to play a game, and having a third-party piece of bloatware telling me no, just watch the intro movie over and over and over is perfectly acceptable. I'm a fool for not thinking this is worth 50 bucks.
BTW since I needed a new pc anyway, I bought one based on civ 5's recommended specs, and blew them out of the water. So in no way is my machine not up to civ 5.

Hes complaining that the Demo has only DX9 combatability, well so what, the full game has DX11. Anyone whos got it could probably confirm it works.

Civ 5's DX11 requires a Quadcore. For those of us with only duo cores, it's back to DX9.

I am not blown away yet with Civ 5. I had a long term romance going with Civ 3, and I played the pixels off of IV and its various expansions. But like others have said, it's a bit early to compare a brand new game to one that was polished over a few years.

I will agree with the OP on one thing: Requiring Steam has taken away a lot of the fun for me. I've belonged to Steam for years and bought a few games through them, but it's nothing but bloatware. I refuse to load it when I boot up, and I'm playing Civ 5 offline just on principal. I miss the days when you bought a game, installed it, and could then actually find the fricking game folder on your HD.

Yeah, trying all day to play a game, and having a third-party piece of bloatware telling me no, just watch the intro movie over and over and over is perfectly acceptable. I'm a fool for not thinking this is worth 50 bucks.
BTW since I needed a new pc anyway, I bought one based on civ 5's recommended specs, and blew them out of the water. So in no way is my machine not up to civ 5.

Dude, calm down. You are unlucky. I'm sorry, but don't ditch Civ 5. They are working on issues like this(also you are complaining about the demo, wait and see).

Do you remember Civ4 release? Much much worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom