I'm Not Even Building Tier 1 Buildings

That's exactly the point! The military AI is so incompetent that it's almost always better to get units than buildings.

I mean Is there even a point in building districts other than campuses barring Mali, Greece, Zulu, or Germany?

Ummm... fun?

I mean if you like beating up on a helpless AI that has no shot at stopping you then more power to you, but that sounds pretty boring to me.

Tier 1 buildings provide +2 of their yield for each City State of their type that you are the Suzerain of.
No...you just need to have 3 envoys with a scientific city-state in order to get the extra +2. You don't need to be their suzerain.
Right, that was the point I was trying to make also. Thanks for the correction/clarification. :goodjob:
However, if the civs that you are at war with (or plan to go to war with) is the current Suzerain of the City States you want boosts to your buildings from then becomming the Suzerain of such City States yourself would be required in order to receive those boosts.

Well, I think it´s a valid point how shallow the game is if you play it in the most efficient way. And that the design of the game allows it.

But as others have pointed out, this is nothing new.

Well, I think it´s a valid point how shallow the game is if you play it in the most efficient way. And that the design of the game allows it.

But as others have pointed out, this is nothing new.
Ummm... fun?

I mean if you like beating up on a helpless AI that has no shot at stopping you then more power to you, but that sounds pretty boring to me.

Let me get this straight.
The game is meant to be played a certain way so that it is Fun?
You are supposed to avoid War at all costs and play a specific way?
Does this mean you do not Trade with the AI?
I find that Trade is just as abusive or more abusive than War.
Better not Chop or use Governors.
Better not build any Wonders.
The biggest of them all is not to play anything other than Deity because Immortal and below are a complete joke.
That being said one can argue that Deity on Civ VI is a complete joke as well.
So many rules to list that give the player an unfair advantage against the AI.
After all these years I didn't realize I am supposed to play this game without Warmongering.
I wish I would of known that 20+ years ago... I would of stayed away from the Civ Franchise.

Let me get this straight.
The game is meant to be played a certain way so that it is Fun?
You are supposed to avoid War at all costs and play a specific way?
Does this mean you do not Trade with the AI?
I find that Trade is just as abusive or more abusive than War.
Better not Chop or use Governors.
Better not build any Wonders.
The biggest of them all is not to play anything other than Deity because Immortal and below are a complete joke.
That being said one can argue that Deity on Civ VI is a complete joke as well.
So many rules to list that give the player an unfair advantage against the AI.
After all these years I didn't realize I am supposed to play this game without Warmongering.
I wish I would of known that 20+ years ago... I would of stayed away from the Civ Franchise.

Dude, play the game however you want, I don't care. If you find warmongering in Civ fun, go for it. He asked why people build these things and I gave answer. Just like *you* find *your* playstyle enjoyable, others may find their own fun doing there own thing, and who has the right to criticize? It's pretty silly to ask why people waste their time with building things when the answer is pretty obvious - not everyone wants to go to war every game. People find their own ways to find enjoyment in the game, yet I don't see anybody posting thread titles bragging about how "I'm not even trying to attack other cities"...

Case in point, there are several things on your list above that I don't bother with. I very rarely chop or build wonders, I can win on Deity just fine (which maybe isn't quite as impressive a feat compared to Immortal as you seem to think), and I have my own little quirks I do that makes it more fun for me (rolepaying, specific challenges, going for different outcomes each game, etc). None of this is because it's the "right" way to do things, it's just more fun for me, just like steamrolling the AI's military might be for you. The nice thing about Civ is that each and every player can do the same thing and find what works for them.

City states make T1 yields quite peerless.
All T1 buildings also offer 1 GPP/turn at the lowest possible cost.

Shrines are dirt cheap and allow for Missionaries.
Markets and Lighthouses provide Trade Routes, which are absurdly important and trigger a key boost. Markets also trigger their own equally key boost.
Barracks/Stables and Lighthouses offer an XP bonus and +1 Housing, at a very compelling cost.
Lighthouse bonus yields to every appropriate tile scales very well.
Amphitheater has 2 GW slots.
Library is boring, but +Sci and +Great Scientist Points are arguably the most valuable yield early game.
Workshop is the weakest, but they do have a boost and Great Engineers are imo the most underrated.

T2 buildings offer worse rates of return, but aren't terrible, still benefit from city states, and (most) still have unique perks:

Temples unlock Apostles and offer a Relic slot.
Universities offer +1 Housing, while being attached to 2 major boosts.
Museums each have a boost and offer GW slots.
Shipyards have a boost, XP bonus, and have and a very easy to max production yield.
Armory is less exciting but still has a boost and XP bonus, and a policy that gives a production bonus towards it.
Banks... have a boost. Okay, it's lame. Can't win 'em all.

T3 buildings are broadly duds with less application and value (especailly requiring power), as described in other topics.

I mean, what's the point? Consider: libraries only provide +2 science. That's like nothing. For the cost of 4 libraries, you could instead build 8 chariots to upgrade into knights and conquer a neighbor and use their districts for science.

If your goal in this game is to simply beat the braindead AI in the easiest way possible, and do that over and over every time you play, then no, there is no point to almost any feature in this game.

But there's also no point in playing the game at all in that case.

That's exactly the point! The military AI is so incompetent that it's almost always better to get units than buildings.

I mean Is there even a point in building districts other than campuses barring Mali, Greece, Zulu, or Germany?

Yeah but..... how is that even fun? You can of course do a range and cavalry spam and conquer everything before you get to the industrial era, but what is the point?

Yeah but..... how is that even fun? You can of course do a range and cavalry spam and conquer everything before you get to the industrial era, but what is the point?
If your goal in this game is to simply beat the braindead AI in the easiest way possible, and do that over and over every time you play, then no, there is no point to almost any feature in this game.

But there's also no point in playing the game at all in that case.

The point is why did they make a game so easy to beat?
Why do they continue to make the game easier and easier?
A game where you not only have to give the AI a bunch of bonuses at the start but you have to handicap the way you play so you can enjoy all the mechanics of the game.
They are making the game easier and easier since Civ IV.
At least Civ V would have a runaway AI and you would actually have a chance of losing if you sand-boxed around too much.

I have to agree with @Takfloyd.
I have basically shelved the game and find no point in playing it.
Since Gathering Storms release I have played 2 and 1/2 games total.
They have simply made the game easier.
In the months prior to the GS release I was playing 4 hours per day on a weekly average.
GS has some good things going for it that look or feel fun.
However, you players that enjoy sim city are getting your wish in the direction this franchise is heading.
Might as well take Declaration of War out of the game entirely since it breaks the game.

I find it interesting that beating the "brain dead" AI the easiest way possible is frowned upon.
I suppose that means if you can beat the "brain dead" AI the hardest way possible you have really accomplished something.
It seems to me that having a "brain dead" AI in the game is the real problem.
Charging 32 dollars to downgrade the game has left a sour taste for some of us.
You literally have the Deity AI with Warriors and Archers running around in the mid and late game now.
Walls... it appears the Deity AI doesn't need them anymore!?

Last edited:
The AI has always been like this in Civ VI though. It's not like it got worse in Gathering Storm, it was just always terrible. In fact, it was even worse at launch of vanilla than it is now.

Top Bottom