I'm Taking for requests for models.

No it doesn't but it could.
It only works on cows. I can make some for the sheep and horses.
Sadly the resources need the resource with the improvement model so each resource needs to be done separately

If you take this one and set if for another resource it will change the resource to look like cows.

I can do those other reaources if you'd like.

I can fix that hut door. Or remove that completely which would you like.
I can change it to another normal sized hut.
I thought the wierd shape would change it up a little and make it look like more then 1 type of hut was used.
I started with just the 1 hut and stretched it different ways. Reshaped it a little.

I can reshape the door or just change out that building.

The cows also don't move :(
I tried my best to try and animate the cows. 79 failed exports later I'm still no closer to having animations.
All 3 cows at one point had everything set up when I was trying to get the animations. Now only 1 cows has all the cow bones just cause I was lazy and didn't delete em.
As far as I know it's outright impossible to animate Resource models in any way, hence why the pigs and elephants have never been reused. So I'm afraid those 79 exports have been in vain.

This is all very nice stuff though. Good to see that new people are still getting into the darkest depths of the modding scene all this time later.

Cool cows, or pasture rather.

Here's something for you:

can you change the numbers that appear on yield icons?

View attachment 634493

Currently I think that the highest number a yield icon shows is 9, and after that the icon just has a star on it instead. Is it possible for it to show two digits instead, so it can display as high as 99 yield?
Whatever the answer is to this question, it isn't going to be to do with the model :p If you want to investigate how it works I'd recommend looking into the UI code to find the logic for what type of icon gets displayed for a tile, and work from there to change the threshold at which the numberless icons get used and what it takes to actually make a numbered icon.

As far as I know it's outright impossible to animate Resource models in any way, hence why the pigs and elephants have never been reused. So I'm afraid those 79 exports have been in vain.

This is all very nice stuff though. Good to see that new people are still getting into the darkest depths of the modding scene all this time later.

Whatever the answer is to this question, it isn't going to be to do with the model :p If you want to investigate how it works I'd recommend looking into the UI code to find the logic for what type of icon gets displayed for a tile, and work from there to change the threshold at which the numberless icons get used and what it takes to actually make a numbered icon.
Iconian will like to see that he wanted to do just that thanks for the help and sharing your insight.

Kia ora! Great to see someone new on the scene, especially in the 3D model space!

If you're willing and able, it would be great to get a model for a Totora Isle, which will be a lake-based unique improvement. They're essentially manmade islands made out of reeds.

Spoiler :

Let me know if you need anything else to help with this, if you're interested!

siheyuan v1 for pineappledan

its a little large but you can shrink it in the defines. this pictures are of it at 1.0 but you can make it larger or smaller what ever you want in the defines.

im not a huge fan of the color scheme but i tried to make it match civ's Asian city sets

Attachments

• 20220816191618_1.jpg
    20220816191618_1.jpg
    354.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 20220816191716_1.jpg
    20220816191716_1.jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 20220816191255_1.jpg
    20220816191255_1.jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 20220816191626_1.jpg
    20220816191626_1.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 20220816191632_1.jpg
    20220816191632_1.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 38
  • siheyuan.7z
    330.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Kia ora! Great to see someone new on the scene, especially in the 3D model space!

If you're willing and able, it would be great to get a model for a Totora Isle, which will be a lake-based unique improvement. They're essentially manmade islands made out of reeds.

Spoiler :

Thanks for the request and the pictures. I'll get to it when I can. There is a line forming so it may take some time. I'll try to get to you all 1 by 1. I'm very slow at this, sorry.
Im not super great at this stuff yet I'm still learning the ins and outs.
As I get better I may be able to do this faster and faster.
I can really only do enough to get by, one day I'll be better.
Thanks for the ideas to practice. I can't wait to see some of this stuff in action one day.
Since I do this for fun and will never be a professional having my stuff used in a mod would be the highlight of my experience.

I actual like civ so much I learned to make this stuff for it just to add more stuff and more diversity. I'm still trying to master my use of blender I still don't know most of the things that can be done with it.

The second I figure out how to properly set up and export animations for units I'll do those too.

I have tons of apocalyptic, sci-fi and fantasy units I would like too do.

Last edited:
Thank you, it worked. They're so cool to look at. :D I love that Firaxis actually bothered to think about what that stuff would look like if these nations developed their tech on their own to that point. So cool to see East Asia, mostly Japan by the looks of the buildings, would possibly look like if they developed into the Industrial Age on their own.

So if I export to .nif, will I have to re-skin these models? And if so, is it difficult to do? I'm really lost on that bit.

(For blender)

If the model was set up for a texture file then no just link the right texture to it. If it was never set up to be skinned then you must do that.
Since you are using existing civ stuff just use the same file it should store the info on the model itself. By the info I just mean what goes where from the texture file. The model will use specific areas on the texture file for specific areas of the model. Whether it is a unit a building ect... If you use a texture that was not for the model you have it will still display it taking those exact positions on the dds file to color the model.
If you ever wanted to change that stuff you use edit mode select the faces and have a window open for the texture file so it displays a flat drawing. As you select a face on your object it will highlight it on the texture file you loaded. So you can move the position around. If you display your object as a texture rather then solid fill or wire it will show the texture files you have loaded up on the model.
You can select the faces again in edit mode and move them around on the texture file and see it change the color of that area on the model. You can change from where and how on the texture file every face of you select is assigned it's color.
If you change texture files it still pulls the colors from that exact area just on what ever file you use for it.

I can open blender up and write a more detailed description if needed. Of exactly how to get to these things I'm doing it from my bad memory right now

Last edited:
One day I'll write up a detailed blender tutorial and link it here
I did write up a quick one here for civ 5

If you want the floating city I was making while I was writing that tutorial it's found here

I also posted some feral ghoul units from the fallout series here if any one wants them

For the moment I don't have much of a use for them I did them years ago before I posted them it was one of my first unit reskins

I won't use them untill I start adding units to my opacolypse mod which is a ways off from that part
If you want the glowing ones you'll have to private message me they have to be added in a different unconventional way due to having custom effects. Idk how they are added a different way through a proper mod. I only know how to add new effects by adding a new dlc to the game that adds the new effects. That could possibly be the only way.

Do you happen to know how to extract the CIV V city set models with their textures? I'm dying to see the Asian Industrial and Asian Modern city sets up close, and also, if possible learn how to port them to CIV IV... :)

Unfortunately I don't know much about getting stuff into civ 4 I can only tell you how to get it out of civ 4.
I know in Nexus buddy where you can view the models you can use that to assign a material to your model then assign your your texture/.dds to that material but that is for civ 5 civ 4 I do not know. I'm sure it's something similar using nif scope but idk for sure.
But I believe it will be something out side of blender used to assign the dds for games.
Assigning it in blender is only for viewing an changing the face positions on a testure file it's basically to set up how it will use the texture file and to create a custom texture file if needed.

African horse and cow kraal for Hinin
sorry no picture but its similar to the cow one i change some texture around to make it at least colored slightly different
it works on regular horses and super horses. that's how its divided up in the coding. i believe the only difference is the super horse is the horse resource that gives more then 2 horses. i think 4.

for the sheep ill have to do something different these huts aren't going to sit right on hills at least not the way they are now they going to need something to sit on so they don't float. plus ill have to do some special bone placement for the hills ill figure that stuff out when i go to do it. since it will be several unconnected pieces the bone placement should take well for the hills.

i attempted to do that with the stupa but it was to big and connected together and made it even worse.

Attachments

• Kraal Horse and Cow.7z
    9.1 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Thank you for the tutorial in Blender. I will be trying to do that as soon as I can. I greatly appreciate it~
I was wondering. You mentioned that you wanted to do things regarding the city sets in Civ V. I know some modeling. I was wondering how difficult it would be to modify .nb2 files. and put them pack to use in the game.
I mean to say, I was thinking about modifying the Ancient Asia and Renaissance Asia city sets. I was considering making them more architecturally Japanese based, rather than Chinese. Would that be a difficult task? If you would be interested, I could modify the existing two sets and their buildings, and then send the models to you for texturing / skinning.

It is very easy you export the nb2 files.
Then in blender pull import them 1 by 1. When importing nb2 files into blender the default setting is to remove the top bone just uncheck that box on the left hand side then import them 1 by 1.
They will all overlap in the center and be quite large. This is normal. Also re-addbthe meshes to the armature as you bring them in this process separately then just drag the mesh to the armature and it will ask you some stuff just hit object. This is done in the properies outlinner where it lists all object names.

Once you have selected the models you would like to have and which ones you like to remove.
Just delete the meshes you don't want then add the meshes to the new building you want to each amateur.
Just go into edit mode and select of vertices by hitting the "a" button. Make a new vertex group and name it the same as the main bone of the armature model you are replacing.
Every city set has 20 building models and armatures not including the ground decal.
When you go to export the models to fbx just make sure y is forward and z is up. Then also adjust the scale from 1.0 to 0.01. this will make the scale the exact same as civ 5 buildings.

Then you open the fbx file in Nexus buddy and save.
In Nexus buddy you should be able to view it. Before it can be used you must assign a material to every model.
Make a material 1, if your using the same buildings it's easy just use what ever dds those buildings used.
When doing this you'll have to go to the select model tab there should be around 20 models on that tab. Each model should have 2 meshes in the edit model tab.
if you don't assign a material to everything is crashes the game no matter how you load it in civ absolutely needs material assigned to everything. now with that said a texture or dds file does not need to be assigned to it. if you dont assign a dds or texture file it still will load it up in the game and display the model, but it will just have a checker board patter meaning the game couldn't find its dds because it was never given one or the dds file wasn't loaded into the game properly

Actual believe it or not you can have more then 1 building mesh per model. I have experimented with this. Civ when it draws apon one of those 20 models to add them to the city set will randomly choose a building if more then 1 mesh is there. So if you are making complex city models with more then 1 mesh needed to make the building it must be combined.
I attempted to make some building that use multimeshed parts just to make it easier to color that is how I found this out and then abused it in my opacolypse city set on project after math.
If you don't join the meshes of the object it brings in each mesh like it is it's own building. So for me I got a chunk of a building here another chunk there.
But that failure was good I discovered you can have way more then 20 building which was good to me.

Getting the stuff into civ. The only way I know how to do this is to have it replace the original.

Go your civ dlc folder go expansion 2 then to dlc again.
Make a new folder name it whatever my new city sets or something.
Add you gr2 file to this folder. If you made a new dds file or are using a new dds file add it to this folder as well.
Name the gr2 file the same name as the gr2 file you are replacing
Then next time you load up the game that city set should replace the old one.

Unfortunately I do not know a better way. I do not know how to add more art styles for the city sets to make more culture varients I only know how to replace existing varients I don't think you can add them outside of the games files but idk maybe some does know but never had the models to do it.

Speaking city sets I'll be posting some updates city set picks soon and 1 of them isn't a human city hahaha.

I'll be posting by first attempt at my Tyranid city set and the updated and much better scrappers city set for my opacolypse mod in a few days.
Everything in project aftermath is new and 100% not civ. I'm practically using civ to make a new game. Will be 100 % a true overhaul mod.

Last edited:
once i do all the city sets for my mod and have the templates made up. ( i only have 3 templates right now made up ).
ill do a very detailed tutorial on how to do all that stuff with pictures and other stuff and ill link it here for you or message it to you or both idk yet.

that tutorial is something i was planning tot do anyway once i had em done up. i can do it faster if needed. i don't have to make it at the progress im doing my own city sets for project aftermath since people are interested in that.

if its ever figured out coding wise how to add even more city sets that would be great. but i can only replace existing ones sadly i never figured out completely how to add new art styles to the game as far as city sets go. idk if it is or isn't possible.
i would love to add north and south American and northern American Inuit city sets along with making different African and middle eastern city sets. i think Egypt should have its own cultural city sets. but I'm bias and absolutely love Egyptian mythology and lure and architecture.

as of right now i have no plans on doing city sets for civ 5 specifically right away. I'm doing them for project aftermath of coarse.
with that said i may do them in the future and make mod thread for them. that would end up being way after my tutorial for city sets.
unless people request them, then ill do em. but for right now i don't have the time for myself devote to standard civ stuff atm.
i will for other people but not for myself lol. if i go to do something for me id rather devote it to my project.

because i started project aftermath i haven't done nothing for myself in regular civ i've been devoting that to my overhaul mod.

it really all started because i was trying to re-work civ and expand the future era past the future worlds mod. the more effects i came up with and the more units i worked on and the more work i put into it i decided why not just make something completely new something kind of fallout style but not a rip off of fallout or fallout mod itself. but i do have a ton of fallout stuff most i haven't posted yet, some i posted early, i have a specific order ill be posting most of the stuff. right now I'm in the graphic collection and creation phase. finding/making/converting graphics. sadly the project only moves as fast as my imagination as its all new concepts and stuff. the graphics are what is slowing it down the most i cant code it until i know what's gonna be in it. ive done the first 2 eras tech tree but i need to know what's gonna be in it to expand it i really just have the start of it, i just have some poorly named and themed techs picked out.
ill also be bring everything from civ beyond earth over in one way or another i already got all the aliens just about ready and I've already done some pieces of the terrain models, i just need to put them in the game and figure all the stats and what not out which will have to wait untill i have picked out every unit in the game cause they will all be new or a re-skin to make them look new.
but i still really cant move onto units yet i want to do all the features first i need at least 20 more ruins features so i can phase out trees for ruins and have it not look generic.

Chinampas for Hinin

the resources on top, i barrowed from the from the HRM all in one mod

20220823052658_1.jpg
20220823052644_1.jpg
20220823052631_1.jpg

Attachments

• Chinampas.7z
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Last edited:
Oof internet problems are the worst, good luck! We actually found another workaround and don't need a model anymore, don't worry about it
im glad you found a work round if you do ever want some custom resource models just message me or ask here, ill be glad to do them.

Spoiler :

i will get to this improvement one day. looks pretty easy.
civ allows for 2 different era models. if you add 1 third era model you run into issues you must address.
you can do more era models if you over come that issue. the Lua method swapping it to a new improvement once the era is hit is easy to do that's gives you 2 more eras to work with each time, with out having to do much work.

a great example of this being used is the village to town or trading posts to towns or one of the several variants. the only difference is the lua incorporates a counter system. if you know very little about lua or want to be able to still possible use the counter system later you can just change the thresh hold to 1 and change the improvements used in it to your improvements. if you keep the counter system up the graphic change is delayed by 1 turn but that's not to bad it just changes the graphics the turn after you enter the era not the exact turn you enter it.

what 2 or more eras do you want. this looks east enough i can just swap out the buildings for different era buildings real easy and swap out old boats for more modern ones.
i can do ancient and an industrial version.
ancient and modern.
i cant promise nothing but it looks very do-able as at least a 2 different era model, if you want it to be easy and not go through the hassle that come with the additional eras.

Last edited:
Chinampas for Hinin

the resources on top, i barrowed from the from the HRM all in one mod

View attachment 637374View attachment 637375View attachment 637376

the Chinampas look a little plain the more i look at them. perhaps i was to hasty. should i add some canoes to it?
the corn could also use a little touch of brown to it too. is it too bright of a green or am i over thinking it?

if any of the stuff doesn't meet your standards or you want things changed don't be afraid to ask me to change it or add things im not opposed to it
something i make don't look great. for example i dont like the huts on the kraal being so large its out of scale compared to most things and come off as a little large but at the same time i think they fit the scale civ set for the pasture sadly civ uses different scales for different things. i wouldn't be opposed to making a tiny hut version if some one wanted it or anything else that's just an example.
consider the first presentation a base model you can ask me for any additions, changes, or anything you want, i want to make these for you all, in way you would like. don't feel like your putting me out or going to upset me. I'm fine with doing different versions of things.
don't be afraid to send me back to the drawing board completely if you are unhappy with anything ill start over if needed and do a new one.

Last edited:
the Chinampas look a little plain the more i look at them. perhaps i was to hasty. should i add some canoes to it?
the corn could also use a little touch of brown to it too. is it too bright of a green or am i over thinking it?
As before, sorry for the late answer. I'm quite busy nowadays.

What you did is great, once again. That said, I agree that despite the solid base, the Chinampas is a bit plain. What you suggest seems a good way to make it better.
Also perhaps some yellow and red touches on some patches (to represent squashes and chilis) ?

As before, sorry for the late answer. I'm quite busy nowadays.

What you did is great, once again. That said, I agree that despite the solid base, the Chinampas is a bit plain. What you suggest seems a good way to make it better.
Also perhaps some yellow and red touches on some patches (to represent squashes and chilis) ?

ya i can add some yellow to it.
the middle garden patch is suppose to have red specs on it.
i think they are to hard to see i need to make the red blotches slightly bigger and they should be brighter.
ill get on it one day.

Top Bottom