1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] IMMaw with Alex the Great

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Tobiyogi, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Hmmm choices.

Spoiler 1470ad :

Which lib tech to take.
    Short term I need frigates.
    Communism would be great. Would reduce costs across entire empire. Not quite ready for mass workshops. Free great spy and lots of techs to steal. His caravels are a pain.
    Physics is a 6550 tech but gets me airships and a free GS. Albeit GS bulbing is limited. I am getting just over 2000 beakers from bulbing.

Still missing a lot of basic techs here. Pretty sure Zara has about 10+ techs I need. He will certainly be building a fleet here.

For now I don't want to meet any more AI. Chances are they will be backward as 1470ad and lib has not been taken.

Attached Files:

2. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

I have played on a bit. I now have rifles. Took communism otherwise it would of been a 2 turn anarchy. Actually with so many GS coming in physics wasn't that big an ask. Got both free people. Still trailing on 5-6 tech. I control the oceans for now.

3. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi King

Good thing about being AGG are cheaper drydocks for more naval production.
    @Gumbolt
    Do you have destroyers already and are you first to combustion? Could you post a screenshot from the capitol + surrounding, plz? Would like to compare where you placed your 2nd and 3rd city (i play on batmod and probably cannot open your save).

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  4. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi King

Next time I play a map i will probably replay my own AW game here :)
    In my recent AW victory on EMP (where i could take out 2 opponents early on) I came to see how golden it is to have a whole continent on your disposition where several modifiers like Free Religion, Mercantilism and Hurriying with gold (+ Kremlin) become the bigger the more cities you have. I would love to adapt that to the map here (+ PHI trait guaranteeing more G.Ages than usually, getting lots of Universities and Oxford with stone). Still not sure if i can beat this on IMMortal but this map is kind of easier than the Shaka-Bernus map, at least i think so.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  5. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Thoughts

Spoiler Update 1625ad :

At present I have frigates. Want assembly plants. Then combustion. Real danger Ethiphians are heading to combustion. I am 4 techs off Combustion.

Spoiler Major image spoilers :

Land around capital0000.JPG world map0000.JPG Land around capital0000.JPG world map0000.JPG

Attached Files:

6. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi King

Very helpful to see your core cities placement, thanks.
    Spoiler :
    I like your 2nd city placement more, for some reason i went first to southeast and 3rd city to the northeast, so the other way around. My 2nd city grew slowly and the floodplains are nice but only for later. My next cities went in almost the same spots as yours.
    Do you really have to fear someone at this point? You have 31 cities versus 8 cities from Zara. Even if you did not controll the oceans perfectly, you could probably outproduce him easily.

7. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Zara has more than 8 cities. I have not found them all yet. He has started spamming frigates. I have razed one of his larger cities Gondar. In
    fantry are quite strong against rifles/cavalry.

Also destroyed a naval fleet approaching from someone else. 10-11 ships. So far Zara has not sent any fleet my way.

Yes long term I should easily over power Zara. He started with a big tech lead.

8. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi King

Replayed the map, of course it is easier now when one already knows where the neighbours and all the strategic resources are
    My city placement this time, again a bit different
    Spoiler :

Also i could prevent Boudica from getting copper by placing a Guerilla 2 Archer on the hill next to copper. Mine was already built but it had no road. W/o her Gallic warriors, she is really nothing and i took 2 cities including Bibracte with Cats/Swords/Phalanx.

Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG

9. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Why are you building markets? You get more happiness by conquering resources. I hope you have a plan here as the threat which got you last time will get you again.

10. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi King

Happiness-wise I am fine (Odeons, gold, different calendar res.) but in my experience, markets are so important on AW because you spend much more time on 0% research than on 100%. Don't you think that at least all the cities with good commerce should have a market to make the most out of those really long-lasting periods on 0%?
    My plan is to conquer my own continent bit by bit while i stay away from naval invasions in the first place. I have already optics which would hopefully guarantee that i can defend with caravels. Napoleon can only come over the "Channel" and he won't land me so easily as he did last time.

You can also make a case for naval invasions, but i find more useful to tame those who can actually throw units at me. For better TR, i settled the off-shore city on the western little island. Two off-shore cities would be better of course (another +1 commerce in every city).

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  11. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Not sure I will finish this.

Spoiler Thoughts :

1800ad and AI has 3-4 destroyers. I was 1-2 turns late and lost 4-5 ships. Albeit I have just razed Zara's capital which should slow him down greatly. Health is becoming a major issue. Probably could easily win space here as I am more than on par key tech wise. Most of the AI are backwards. Just one Ai that needs reducing further. With 30+ cities I should have more than enough cities to over power any AI here. Shaka still only has caravels and galleons. No idea about Mongols. Looks like Mongols may have chenistry and Mil traditions. Probably frigates too.

I think Zaras stack is now dead albeit he likely has 8-9 units in one of the nearby cities.

More time required to finish this off. Wiping out all the Ai here will take a long time. I think I should of been choking 2 AI early on and taking down French much sooner. Science wise I was slow out of the block. Maybe more markets once warfare was done.

12. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi King

I also believe that markets are important. They can be sometimes whipped for 3 pop, in some cities, the food situation is not too bad. My general behaviour on AW is to beeline a certain (military) tech and once i have reached to fall back on 0% science for a long time. During this time, it would be a waste not to have enough markets.
    Did not play on this scenario yet, as i was distracting myself with FFH Age of Ice.