1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Immortal game, need advices

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by noontide, May 26, 2019.

1. zoiks

zoiks Chieftain

Another thread packed with things I need to learn and remember, just like the OP. Thanks all!

But this needs a bit more explanation for me. Run tax to get gold?

krikav and sampsa like this.
  2. sampsa

sampsa Ghost

I'm guessing it means run 0% slider for some turns, the switch back to 100%.

zoiks likes this.
  3. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

^^^yep

zoiks likes this.
  4. noontide

noontide Warlord

So, ok, a shadow game. Attached is the turn 0 save, and a save on 1000BC. What I did was I build/chopped 7 Immortals, a settler in between, wiped out the French, and grabbed a barbarian city close to my capital. Tech-wise I beelined Construction. Any suggestion so far? Thanks.

Attached Files:

5. sampsa

sampsa Ghost

The position is good certainly, despite you made some pretty big early mistakes. You went wheel first, which is incomprehensible to me. Always go food first! You have a pigs tile so AH first is obvious. I'm not losing my patience, but it's the 3rd time I need to tell you the exact same thing. Growing is very important.

Your T0 decision is probably based on map knowledge, but even then it's not a good choice. You should settle on plains hills when available, especially for capital, as it leads to getting the first worker out faster. Here the plains hill spot is best by a huge margin.

Civ4ScreenShot0096.JPG

2nd city is poorly placed. Settle it 2N to grab the corn, it's a hugely important tile.

6. Fippy

Fippy Mycro Junkie Queen

You are getting ahead of me then.. ;)
    Several peoples (me too) did write some detailed suggestions, but it's not much fun if you feel ignored.

No mention of what was acknowledged, but instead another Cyrus HoF type game with huts & events.
    In a "shadow" game that was already played until T75.

Peoples are investing some of their time into writing helpful stuff to you, stop treating us like muppets.

sampsa and krikav like this.
  7. noontide

noontide Warlord

Well for this particular game since I was playing Persia with Immortal as UU, I teched AH first to see if there is horse around me. Since the horse is not on a river I need wheel to connect. My thought was to crack out Immortal asap. I noted all the advice, in particular, focus food, chop, whip, but each game is different and i tend to deviate from it giving the circumstance. Anyway it seems I managed to piss off a number of people, I'll end this thread then and thanks everyone for the time.

8. sampsa

sampsa Ghost

I don't think you are pissing people off. Also, I looked at your save game again and you indeed did go AH first, wheel was probably popped from a hut? My apologies.

The thing is that posting a shadow game starting from T75 is not going to do any good for you, especially since your early game needs some polishing. Start a new game where you don't have map knowledge to distract you and take very short turn sets. Question everything that you do, and you will learn.

Fippy likes this.
  9. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

No, not really pissing me off, I'm just unable to provide any useful help the way this is going. I try to give tips but they don't seem to stick.
    One useful way to play a shadowgame is to post the situation and wait for feedback at T0, T5 and then when the first tech is in (roughly) and then later on perhaps every tech that is in.
    T0 for discussion of where to settle, T5 for what tech to commit to, T15 (or thereabout) when AH is done, T23 when mining is in, T26 when pop3 is reached and one considers to start a settler. T34 when settler is done and one has to decide which way it is going. Etc etc.

A post from T75 is almost impossible to provide any feedback upon.

Fippy likes this.
  10. Fippy

Fippy Mycro Junkie Queen

Well my use of the word muppet seems questionable, after looking up what it can mean..
    i was thinking more of the muppet show ;)

But anyways, you can ofc still turn this around, and a good way would be if you start giving others the feeling that you are really "absorbing" their hints and advice.
    Nobody will feel pissed off while writing about a game, or at least that's very rare.
    So as example i offer you my apology for "muppets".

krikav likes this.
  11. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

I think you can comment on a 1000bc save. Not ideal but much better than 1350ad.

I don't expect Noontide to fit in with us. He is here for advice. Not sure he has asked for a step by step guide.

I think he focuses too much on the uu. This is what is slowing his learning curve. Great unit but you won't learn how to beat immortal that way.

12. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Wait...did you just call me a muppet, My! The audacity! ;) :lol: :mischief:

This guy disapproves:

Spoiler animal :

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    Fippy likes this.
  13. FlyinJohnnyL

FlyinJohnnyL You need more workers....

This is a good point, too. Much like it's good to learn without huts and events, it's also not a bad idea if he ignores the UU when posting a shadow game. It certainly seems to be a crutch.

14. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

1000bc thoughts.
    Moving off plains hill a big mistake! All those flood plains to cottage. I would of built a city SE of the horse to help with cottages. Moving capital for the horse was a mistake. As I keep saying you have time to build 1-2 cities before the immortal rush.
    Cottages should be focused on capital and maybe Paris.
    Mines and cottages on grassland here is wasting worker turns. Focus on flood plains first!
    2nd city not including corn is a mistake.
    Great general for a super medic? Especially if you are planning war.
    One of those immortals in your capital would solve the happiness issue.
    Why are you not using slavery? Start whipping buildings. This is why your struggling here so much. You seem to be slow building everything. Slavery is key to winning at higher levels. Also the reason you only have 5 cities. :whipped::whipped:

Your immortals could be looking for other barb cities.
    The Great Priest in Paris is a bit annoying. Save for a golden age I guess.
    You want a city South and east of your capital. Time to whip 2xsettlers. Barb city is not ideal.
    Your capital needed 4-5 cottage on your capital by now. If need be whip workers.

Why did you beeline construction? Myst really helps with border pops and your barb city needs that.