• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Immortal University 74 - Ragnar

Habitus

Emperor
Greetings, Immortals and would-be Immortals (and indeed any other players of any level), and welcome to the Immortal University.

Here is our Leader:

Here's the opening scene:

The following settings were used to create this map

Before we start, here's the copy & paste bit where I get to pretend that I'm TMIT:

To play, just extract the WB save file into your worldbuilder saves directory, then play it. Use custom scenario if you want some extra settings to tickle your fancy. This series was designed for people learning immortal, so most people here will be at that level or trying to attain it, although deity players are welcome also. Hell, if you want to play this on NOBLE. The intention of this and any other game thread I post is to get better. Play whatever level you need in order to improve.

If you are aspiring IMM+, try to remember to add archery back to the barbs in WB. Every time you don't, a deity AI will kill a kitten, although there are a lot of kittens so it's not the end of the world if you prefer easymode barbs .

I do request people to list their difficulty and speed. In terms of updates, well nobody follows that anyway. Post in the manner you feel comfortable. Typical comparison dates are 1 AD, liberalism, and victory/defeat, as well as any major events. If in doubt, go with that.

We also have an initial Immortal/Normal autosave which is much more convenient since you can avoid all the worldbuilder shenanigans. It comes with my personal seal of approval (not least as my worldbuilder edits may contain hideous game-destroying errors that could cause your computer to explode ).

Attachments

• IU 74 - Ragnar BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    37.8 KB · Views: 132
  • IU 74 - Ragnar.rar
    73.3 KB · Views: 103
assuming no more food, settle on the wine and work a FP, that is 12c. beeline BW in 17 turns, and build Worker-worker?

Do you mean riverside rather than FP???

Dry rice isn't a great tile...Here's hoping the fog brings us better resources.

Mining>BW seems appropriate...maybe Ag first if we can pull a corn or wheat tile out of the fog.

If there's no more food all the more reason to go agri first. Food is king and farming the rice and the FP will take plenty of workerturns. You'll be to BW before he runs out of things to do.

Do you mean riverside rather than FP???

Dry rice isn't a great tile...Here's hoping the fog brings us better resources.

That's almost certainly FP in the fog, SSE (beside the desert hill,) and probably another one again to the direct south of it. Possibly a third one 2-NW, but I'm less certain there.

Has anybody tried this out yet? I took it out for a quick spin, but quickly ran into trouble. Maybe I just haven't gotten used to this speed and difficulty, but

Spoiler :
Gilgamesh is so close to us and is impossible to rush. No horses and he settled his first city right next to the only copper.

Worse, the capital is the only good land that I could grab. I grabbed three cities, hoping against hope that there would be horses when I found out that there was no copper, but no such luck.

Played on Immortal till 1000ADish:

Spoiler :
Settled on Wine and planned on doing a weird early REX strategy. Build order went worker/settler/worker/2Xwarrior/Barracks and my initial tech order was Min>Bw>Agr>Wheel>Myst>Pottery>Writing

Then I scouted a very close Giggles and the only copper to be seen which brought me to a new plan. Settle 1N of cows and chop out SH which would get me Wheat/Cow/Copper. And then I see this:

After seeing the above I settled in place and would just deal with the city location. Went to war with Giggles and teched towards Alpha while leaving him with one city then made trades and sue for peace for Monarchy from Giggles. My 1st Gperson was a GProphet which I would save later for a GA. Chopped out some Libraries and ran 2scientist outside of my Capital and used that for an Academy. Oh yea, my SH city culture took over 2 of Justines cities, one of which I disbanded. I also captured one barb city (William beat me to the other one) and settled one more myself.

Traded Marble from Justine and built TGL/NE in Giggles old capital. Started my GA as soon as those were finished then got a Gspy and GS which I started another GA. During all this I had been trading and teched towards CS/Fued/MC/Machinery/Engineering/Guilds/GP. During my 2x GA I switched civics to Caste/OR and then Bureau/Serf/OR and spammed farms/WS while quickly building forges/barracks and a FEW CHs.

From here I was able to start making Mace from most cities before 2nd GA ended and I had got the HE city in my Capital. Which led me to the following......A 20 Beserker/10 Pike/25 Treb Army which will easily own Justine. He has 3 trooops in every city. A bad start but with GAs and lots of farm/hammer a fairly easy go of it. I'll attach my 1st war save.

Attachments

• Raggy Early War BC-1080.CivBeyondSwordSave
    125.6 KB · Views: 101
Immortal/Normal

Upon realizing that I have plenty of floodplains but no copper/iron/horse, I decided to beeline steel and go for cannons + grenadiers.

I reached steel around 400-500AD.

Then I made a fascinating discovery.

Cannons require iron :D

Think I'll pull a mulligan and give this another go. Game's still winnable but sheeeeesh.

Immortal/Normal

Upon realizing that I have plenty of floodplains but no copper/iron/horse, I decided to beeline steel and go for cannons + grenadiers.

I reached steel around 400-500AD.

Then I made a fascinating discovery.

Cannons require iron :D

Think I'll pull a mulligan and give this another go. Game's still winnable but sheeeeesh.

I ran into a different but not very different problem:

Spoiler :
Settled on plains hill (best move IMO, only missing 1 possible food tile which turns out not to be but gains FP and a 2:hammers: 3:commerce: city tile). I opted to sword rush gilgamesh because our raw commerce with that opening is OK to get them timely + chop. I ran into only 1 problem:

Gilgamesh culture-flipped my iron :mad:. Had he not done that, I succeed in sword rush and win. Copper city was the only city he had on a hill, and his only other source of metal (iron, N of capitol) I had pillage-locked. However, without my own metal I couldn't reinforce and was screwed. Protective archers in a city are piss-poor vs AGG swords. Even with walls + fortify swords have winning odds on flats. I took copper city turn 3 of war and pillaged copper so he had no ability to make vultures other than his 2 left alive empire-wide...but I took losses on that hill city to snatch his metal. I couldn't hold off his iron and still take cities without building more swords, and so the culture flip was lethal.

If I replayed it, I'd repeat the strategy but prevent losing my iron tile, but at that point the map wouldn't really be hard as we'd be looking at a tech deficit but ~10 cities of reasonable quality.

@Sheng

So every new captured city can be transformed into farm/ws in 4-5 turns. Remember, I was in serfdom during a double GA so I had actually already improved every tile and chopped every tree within my culture about 10 turns prior to my final screen shot.

I had to reload as well playing on emperor.

Spoiler :
First time I settled down river and lost copper, and later iron, to Gilg. and Justinian. 2nd time I settled on PH by the cow towards Gilg, and choked him in an early war so I could settle the copper spot as well. Eventually declared peace and then rexed peacefully. Adopted Judaism, which, between all the demands from Pericles and Gilg, who were worst enemies, caused me to float in between cautious and pleased with them both. I managed to beg 1g off Gilg when he started plotting, but he DoW'ed on me the turn immediately after the peace treaty expired and took my cow city on the hill, and that's where I stand atm, about 600 AD. I have iron but getting that city back is going to be a bastard.

OK my do-over is going quite well with one little problem...

i've capitulated one civ and steamrolled 3 out of 8 cities of a second, but he still thinks he's 'doing fine on his own'. Is there a post out there explaining the capitulation mechanics? I couldn't find it.

immortal/normal
Spoiler :
whew, that was actually one of the most challenging games I've played for quite a while, for no super-obvious reason. We had decent land but no strategic resources for a while (gilgamesh + barbs settled on my potential iron spots), so gilgamesh & justinian, both strong leaders who expand a lot & tech well, were allowed to do their thing until cannons.

I took out Willem pretty easily with berserkers + trebs, and used the remainders of my army along with a few muskets to cap greece. Then I was one turn away from invading Gilgamesh when he teched rifling so I had to take a brief pause to tech steel and build up some cannons, and from there steamrolling Justinian was easy, even though he had a bit of a tech lead.

I gifted back most of the cities I took and directed my vassals all to different research paths, taking me from a significant tech deficit vs the top AIs, to a huge lead in a very short time, even though I maxed out my deficit research at only 1000 beakers/turn or so. I'd never really used vassals in that way before, it was fun + effective =]

By the time I took the continent, it turned out that Saladin took the entire other continent, so I was gearing up for nukes + battleships + marines... but it turned out that by building a lot of health improvements and the UN, i was able to get my population high enough to win diplomation in 1802.

GG!

@TMIT

you should replay it, but NOT do a sword rush. I found the map pretty fun =]

Top Bottom