Imperialism 3 - Now with 100% more Lua!

Hi Civinator,

As you indicated the game can generate some crazy amounts of gold. I’ve reached April 1894 (turn #272) and my treasury stands at over $72,000 and I haven’t necessarily built a large number of Mfg Goods units to achieve that amount (by contrast the American and British treasuries stand at $263,000 and $131,000 respectively).

With this kind of money you can basically buy your way to victory, which I find makes wining the game too easy for the human player. In fact, I never use my money to buy my own units to speed production or to purchase enemy cities.

This is why, as a personal play style, I never use my agents to either bribe units or cities in the scenarios I play and use them exclusively for their spy on cities ability (in all the scenarios I personally designed I always limit the spy unit’s to this one ability). In essence, I prefer to win my game the old fashion way, by conquest alone.:)

I only use my treasury to buy city improvements (and typically only after they’ve already reached 50% of their production) or Wonders. I just feel it adds an extra level of challenge and helps leveling the field when playing against the AI.

In this scenario, as France, I currently possess 222 cities, 199 of which I acquired through military conquest (I started with an original 23).

Of course, this is just my own personal preferences on play style and other players may feel differently.

In the end, this is Curt’s scenario and it is his decision to make, but personally I would recommend he also limit the Agents ability to just the ‘Investigate city’ capability.

Last edited:
Hi tootall_2012, I completely agree with your posting. I play this as a test game to show problems in the balance of this wonderful scenario and not in the way I would like it the most. I think this is the best way to help in improving this scenario.

As you play as France, you have this insane French wonder, too. It should be cut out of the game or at least come much, much later. The gained amount of gold seems much too high and the costs of many units much too low. And I agree: The agent - so not cheap - is much too powerful.

Nevertheless this scenario, even when played as a test game is a lot of fun. :)

Hi Civinator,

Yes, I agree that the Palace of Versailles wonder (aka Statue of Liberty), which makes all forms of governments available to the owner and eliminates anarchy when switching types is a very powerful wonder indeed.

On the other hand, given that France starts as the smallest power (in pure number of cities and it's small isolated positions scattered around the world), I think it's a fair advantage to give it.

Yes, I agree that the Palace of Versailles wonder (aka Statue of Liberty), which makes all forms of governments available to the owner and eliminates anarchy when switching types is a very powerful wonder indeed.

On the other hand, given that France starts as the smallest power (in pure number of cities and it's small isolated positions scattered around the world), I think it's a fair advantage to give it.

In my test game with Germany after some turns of the game Paris and this wonder was in German hands - and this while France declared war to me. It should be taken into consideration, that this wonder can fall soon into other than French hands and even for France I think, it is too strong.

Yes, I understand what you mean now. In my original play through I started as Russia. I was able to capture Paris at one point but that was only after playing maybe 150 turns or so, so the impact might not have been as great.

@tootall_2012
@Civinator

I appreciate your feedback, sirs!
As I said, I will look at the barbs for the next update. The zip on the opening page is the current version. :)

The Versailles Wonder was meant to represent what would happen if a new government erupted in France during 1870.
If it seems the power is too OP or happens too early, we shall consider ways to fix this.

Here are the options that spring to mind:
1) Drop the wonder, which seems a waste of a fun wonder.
2) Give it to a lesser power like Japanese Empire.
3) Rename and Re-Introduce the wonder later in the tech tree...Suggestions welcome.
4) Make the wonder go obsolete early, to coincide with the French unrest event in June/July 1870.
5) Explore ways to make Autocracy less OP. Because this is what we seem to be unhappy with.
6) Ask the player to resist using the wonder! ;)

Give me your ideas, guys. If you cannot suggest anything, I will leave it the way it is.

As for the Agents, you must invest a lot to use them, and if you manage to get an army of them, fine. In most of my
play-throughs, I have had three or four of them max. And they come in handy to defend against tech and city-stealing enemy spies.

Play the scenario on Marshal, and then see if you don't want agents.

I'm inclined to leave the agent system the way it is. It's a CIV2 mechanic that I am powerless to fix.
Barb-bribe costs, however I can fix. How does a minimum 900 gold per unit sound?

Barb-bribe costs, however I can fix. How does a minimum 900 gold per unit sound?

Curt, I think the best is to set the 'oriental' units in the Advanced unit fields all to "cannot be bribed".

About the Versailles wonder I have to reflect a little more.

Hi Civinator,

In my test game with Germany after some turns of the game Paris and this wonder was in German hands - and this while France declared war to me. It should be taken into consideration, that this wonder can fall soon into other than French hands and even for France I think, it is too strong.

Perhaps make an event that makes it expire once the current owner's tribe gets big enough. Count the number of cities the owner of the Statue of Liberty has each turn, and change the wonder's expiration tech once the threshold has been passed.

I think you will need to store 'VersaillesExpired' in a flag, and check during the onScenarioLoaded event what the status of that wonder should be.

Or, just remove the wonder from Paris when the conditions are met (which would be a permanent change in the save file, and avoid having to make onScenarioLoaded checks).

Perhaps make an event that makes it expire once the current owner's tribe gets big enough. Count the number of cities the owner of the Statue of Liberty has each turn, and change the wonder's expiration tech once the threshold has been passed.

I think you will need to store 'VersaillesExpired' in a flag, and check during the onScenarioLoaded event what the status of that wonder should be.

Or, just remove the wonder from Paris when the conditions are met (which would be a permanent change in the save file, and avoid having to make onScenarioLoaded checks).

In my eyes, this would be a good solution. :goodjob:

The Lua solution sounds very useful to me also..:)
Being able to bribe barbs is a big part of my design...
I'll consider making some types non-bribable, like the Impis.

In the meantime, please enjoy a useable preview of the new US and Euro cities for the next update...
WIP New Cities.png

All of them are being redone, but these two can be use now, just over-write.

Attachments

• Cities.zip
    71.2 KB · Views: 43
Being able to bribe barbs is a big part of my design...
I'll consider making some types non-bribable, like the Impis.

There is a bribe unit event (onBribeUnit.lua). I don't think anyone has done anything with it (I certainly haven't), but you could try an event where there is a chance that the unit will take your bribe and use it to fund more rebels rather than joining your side. (Delete the bribed unit, and create other units nearby.) That would make for an interesting dynamic.

I have a Lua event that allows the capture of worker/engineer units, is there any way to make such units
simply be destroyed if they are on a water tile? (this sometimes happens if a ship they are on is sunk)

This would stop worker units being stranded in the ocean tiles. The AI seems to ignore them for some odd reason. :)

When you check if the unit is eligible to be captured, check for (unit.location.terrainType % 16 == 10), and don't capture in that case. You might find it more convenient to check that the tile is not ocean using ~= 10 instead. You might also have to check based on where the winner unit is (if you're re-creating the unit on the winner's tile) to determine if the game should capture the unit.

New Update! Imperialism III v6 is now ready...
Impv6 map1.png

• New imperialistic City.bmp graphics.
  • New easier to read People.bmp graphics.
  • Tweak to Versailles wonder. Obsolete with Democracy.
  • New sounds for naval and some barb wonders.
  • Some tweaks to unit stats, and some barbs are now un-bribable.
  • New City national UI graphics for each Imperial faction.
Plenty more to add and do, mostly with Lua, but I felt there was enough now to warrant an update.

Usual update procedure - But this time, please delete the "Sound" folder, and overwrite everything else...:)
Hope you enjoy the new looks, tweaks and sounds...! :D

Attachments

• Imp3 v6.zip
    13.2 MB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Top Bottom