Imperialism II PBEM

Sorry I missed that Patine had played. I'll get a turn done by the end of the day.

USA

The US is greatly alarmed by general war between the two world powers. Congress will sit in session to consider our statement on this matter.

Attachments

• USA1874may.7z
    106.2 KB · Views: 85
I’m sorry but I won’t have time to play today. I expect new years morning will be excellent to start dismantling the French Colonial Empire!

And Happy New Year to you all.

I think @Northerner may have frozen solid up on his cold, icy, northern island...

Notherner. Congratulations to your nation for Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson finally winning Worlds Strongest Man & bringing the title back to Iceland. I love this competition & watch it every year. I have been disappointed in Thor in recent competitions as he always seemed to lack focus. This year he looked really determined.

Notherner. Congratulations to your nation for Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson finally winning Worlds Strongest Man & bringing the title back to Iceland. I love this competition & watch it every year. I have been disappointed in Thor in recent competitions as he always seemed to lack focus. This year he looked really determined.

Is that at all a related event to the Ironman competitions that Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sean Connery, and Lou Ferrigno appeared in prior to becoming actors?

I think that's the same kind of thing. The strongman competitions are for strength in lifting, pulling, throwing etc... Some of the competitors look kind of out of shape with huge guts from all the eating they hg they have to do to gain muscle, but they are athletes. For example the UK's own Eddie 'The Beast' Hall, who one the previous one, holds the world record for the deadlift at 500kg or 1,102.3 lb. That's the equivelent of six men all weighing 185 lb! Bjornsson is 6'9'' and weighs between 397 & 441 lb and once did the Log carry (5 steps) with 1,433 lb. Seriously strong dudes. The Canadian star is Jean-François Caron from Quebec who has been in the final three times.

We're more interested in the 1870's strongest nation in this thread though ;)

Hafþór is one hell of a man. I have wished I had strength comparable to his this last week. I've been moving houses - we just finally got a proper apartment after months of bouncing between relatives. (Damn tourism has completely blown the housing market into the stratosphere, it took some serious work to find anything at all.

Tonight is the first night I can properly sit down and get an overview of just how badly the French are going to shatter the British Empire. I don't expect further delays on my part for the coming months.

Hafþór is one hell of a man. I have wished I had strength comparable to his this last week. I've been moving houses - we just finally got a proper apartment after months of bouncing between relatives. (Damn tourism has completely blown the housing market into the stratosphere, it took some serious work to find anything at all.

Tonight is the first night I can properly sit down and get an overview of just how badly the French are going to shatter the British Empire. I don't expect further delays on my part for the coming months.

I knew Iceland has a reputation as a "friendly country," but isn't selling integral housing willie-nillie to casual tourists a but much?!
Nonetheless, good to see you've returned! :p

We have similar issues here in the UK with too few houses being built, the ones that are built being brought up as by-to-let and the usual move to urban centres pushing up house prices in cities like London to ridiculous levels. People paying thousands per month for rooms that resemble cupboards. Glad to hear you finally found somewhere.

General Diplomatic Information

Britain asks that all nations declare allegiance in the war.

Full and unlimited war will be declared upon any party found to be facilitating the French war effort by opening their cities to French trade.

The invasion of mainland Europe

Bretagne (Britannia Minor) is the first to fall, as the British Army begins a full scale invasion of France. Spearheaded by proud and strong Highlander regiments, the garrisons around Brest fall one by one. As regiments approach the city itself, the great battleships pose a mighty challenge to the attackers. Casualties are high on the British side, but overall the campaign is one of great success.

Belgium is fully occupied, and the government in Brussels has little to say against a British garrison.

Battle for the Mediterranean

The Western Mediterranean is closed, and will remain so through the month.

To save the large number of British ships enclose by the French blockades of the Straits of Gibraltar, Messina, and Sicily, a full scale invasion of Tunisia is begun. The city itself falls with few casualties on the British side. Further, the British Navy begins a great bombardment of Messina, with considerable casualties on both sides.

War in India

The British Army in India makes a more or less completely failed attack on the French army entering Bengal from Burma. The remnants of the army are ordered to retreat. Some minor attempts are made to attack the French Army besieging Madras, with little success.

Siege of Maccau

The French Army preparing to besiege Maccau is surrounded promptly destroyed.

The Blockade of Singapore

The British take heavy casuatlies in a valiant attempt to break through the French blockade of Singapore, but with very little success.

War in Africa

The preparations the two states have made for the war are most evident in the Sudan, as a very large French Army has been marshalled just a few days march from Rabak. The British, while numerous and in high spirits, are very short on heavy artillery and choose not to meet the French in the field, just yet.

However, scouts note that the city of Kousseri is not at all defended to modern standards (no city walls.). A small cavalry force is sent to attempt an attack on the city. The Sephois meet little resistance and capture the city.

At Lagos and Granville some minor attacks are made against the French assailants, but the besieging forces are not so easily stopped.

Socotra

A large scale assault on the island of Socotra showed the island to be seemingly garrisoned by a most unimaginably massive force. The attack failed to root out any defenders.

Naval Battles

Victories of armoured cruisers against battleships are rare on the open seas. At Granville (I think) a French battleships was sunk with just a single British loss, but I believe this was the only battleship sunk at sea.

Final Report

The British Army saw limited losses.
The British Navy saw a great loss of men and material as a large number of ships were lost either in attack on French battleships or in attack on French ports.

(Blue is Britain and red is France. I use the active player information screen (control+J) every turn to follow unit numbers.I suppose that since that screen is entirely accesible without anything remotely approaching unscrupulous methods it is information one can use freely.)

I don't think I forgot anything relevant in the grand scheme of things.

Attachments

• Buildup and British offensive.bmp
    1.5 MB · Views: 224
  • Britain1874May.zip
    132.9 KB · Views: 80
Not wishing to be drawn into the war on either side Russia announces a mutual trade embargo on British & French goods for the duration of this conflict. This is not intended as an act of agression against either Empire, but the Tsar will not be forced to take sides & will therefore treat both parties equally.

Gameplay is in progress. Not sure when it will be done, since there is a lot going on.

Here's a teaser:

The occupation of the holy city of Mecca causes fury across the lands of the prophet! Many Muslim leaders put their old differences aside in order to duly punish the intruders for this act of arrogant sacrillige...

Gameplay progressing, will probably post game tomorrow. French bureaucrats support peace in large numbers due to war time overwork.

As information/reminder, there is a bug that disbanding ships on water (due to city loss) deletes the entire stack. I don't think this should be corrected for after the fact, since the disbandment of units impacts the rest of the turn. (I.e. they're gone, so they aren't eligible to be killed.) I had a substantial loss due to this last turn (the units don't appear as casualties, so I know Britain didn't kill them), so if we do want to correct for this bug, I'll expect to have that compensated.

On the bright side, I'm almost certain that this bug can easily be overcome with Lua (and we can even rehome units instead of disbanding them, if we want).

The ships were obviously eaten by a sea monster.

Last edited:
Diplomacy:

Cheat mode used to facilitate agreed transactions.

The French policy of reciprocal free trade is modified as follows: Any nation which forbids French merchants may still make deliveries to French cities as long as they also forbid the merchants of Great Britain and her allies. So Russia and any country following a similar policy to Russia may still send goods to French ports.

At this time, the French Empire is not threatening war with those nations which allow British Merchants but not French Merchants. But be warned that we will not consider that a policy friendly towards France.

Though Napoleon III has suspended the French Democracy in favour of an "Imperial" government, the high luxury policy means that next turn most cities will re-attain trade arrow levels similar to the level enjoyed under Democracy. (So traders are very likely to get similar payouts to what they had before.)

French Domestic News:

Due to a bureaucratic error, the French Capital Building is moved to Bassam. Plans are made to move it back to Paris Forthwith, but the error caused some stuff not to be produced elsewhere. French establish an "Imperial" Government.

French War News:

The French War News is stated based on Geography, not chronology.

Sub Saharan Africa:

Kousseri liberated without a fight, but of course, most infrastructure has been destroyed. Cavalry outside the city defeated. I get a message that the British empire has "changed policy," apparently to despotism. If @Northerner didn't do this, but rather the AI, then this should be corrected in cheat mode before his turn.

Sepoys defeated outside El-Fashir, but they manage to defeat some marines first.

Assault on Lagos results in a lost Battleship and some light artillery and marines. Lagos captured. Fortified Gurka on hill defeats a Chasseurs unit, before being defeated.

Light cruiser defeated near Bassam.

Anane captured without a fight. Either the troops were supported elsewhere, or the French commander didn't notice the city was devoid of defenders.

An obsolete rifled gun lost attacking Accra. Battleships brought in to bombard defenders into submission. Accra captured. 2 Nearby armored cruisers sunk.

Granville bombarded, but 8 marine units lost in subsequent attack. Armoured cruiser lost attacking british equivalent nearby. Granville captured. Later discover that one heavy artillery never attacked the city...

Rabak assaulted by 2 Heavy artillery, then captured.

Djibouti assaulted from sea, 5 marines lost. Ships and nearby land units also borught in. Djibouti captured. Armoured cruiser lost attacking nearby equivalent.

Engineer and Steam Yacht killed near Durban. Loaded steam yacht killed near Port Elizabeth (3 units); engineer also killed.

Engineer killed near Ankober. Engineer near Asmara defeats force marched cannon.

India:

Madras Bombarded, light artillery lost, obsolete cannon lost. Madras Captured.

Some units killed outside Dacca.

Marines assault Cuttack, face minimal resistance. Cuttack captured.

Bangalore bombarded and captured.

Colombo captured by Marines and light cruisers without significant loss. Nearby armored cruiser defeated by battleship.

4 Marines lost assaulting Waltair (Armored cruiser and Battleship brought in as support). Waltari captured.

Far East:

Rangoon bombarded from land and then by sea, with no loss of French units. Rangoon Captured.

Battleship lost bombarding Maccau. 3 Marine units also lost. Maccau captured.

Hong Kong bombarded by land and sea, though a battleship is lost. Hong Kong captured.

9 Marines, 2 Battleship lost attacking Singapore. Light cruiser lost against nearby Armoured cruiser by accident. Singapore Captured, after many trains and ships destroyed. Light cruiser north of Singapore defeated, nearby armoured cruiser defeated also.

Taiping assaulted by marines and cruisers. Taiping captured. Most of the nearby units bombarded from the sea, or attacked by Chasseurs.

Europe and North Africa:

Counterattack on Brest costs only 2 units of marines. Brest Re-Captured.

Heavy artillery brought in to bombard Gibraltar. Locals report many units are stationed in the city, but the French commander gambles that most are not actually troops, but rather merchants avoiding the high seas. Rifled gun lost. Marine lost. Gibraltar captured, after sea bombardment and amphibious assaults.

Tunis re-captured. 4 damaged armoured cruisers destroyed nearby.

Quite a few damaged ships destroyed outside Brest and Brussels.

Several armoured cruisers destroyed near Messina, but they take one Battleship with them.

A small force of French Marines cross the channel and capture Southampton. The limited defences of that town seem to have been reported by Belgian refugees.

2 Marines lost testing the defences at Valletta.

Benghazi Assaulted, light artillery lost in bombardment. 2 Marines lost in the amphibious assault. Benghazi captured.

Brussels bombarded and captured, one rifled gun lost.

Engineer killed near Cairo by Chasseurs.

Middle East:

5 ships sunk near Socotra.

A secret task force of marines has marched through the desert to Mecca, with plans to stir up resentment against the Imperialists in the Middle East. With the abrupt closure of Russian ports to French traders, concerns about outrage spilling over into the Russian Middle East are overruled, and the plan goes forward. The French capture Mecca!

The occupation of the holy city of Mecca causes fury across the lands of the prophet! Many Muslim leaders put their old differences aside in order to duly punish the intruders for this act of arrogant sacrilege...

America and the Atlantic Ocean:

Engineer and trains destroyed near Georgetown.

British cargo ship attacked near Hamilton (4 units killed).

Light cruiser sunk by armored cruiser near Ascension.

Attachments

• french1874may.hot.zip
    126.8 KB · Views: 153
A number of envoys have expressed great dissatisfaction with the British blanket embargo - the embargo is hereby rescinded.

The British started the war with the understanding that the French were not so barbaric as to attack civilian workers and engineers far away from battlefields, and thus Britain did not attack any French workers unless they were obviously working directly for the French war effort. That France would so brazenly attack British worker teams away from the battlefield shows that French must be taught a lesson in civility.

Top Bottom