Impose a limit on total number of units

arthurF

Warlord
Is there any a possibility of putting a per-civ limit on units? In late stages of games, on large maps, turns are taking a very long time to process ( on a very fast computer). This plus the sheer number of units that AI civs are carrying each turn (and to which the player is forced to respond with an over-large army of his own), seems to bog down play greatly. I really don't want to tab out and read the news for a couple minutes every time i press "end turn" button.

Have you tried turning on the "Quick Combat" and "Quick Movement" Options?
I second that. It makes significant difference.

The setting is located at just before you start generating the map, the very final screen where you setup the Civs.

But at very late stage of the game your own turns will be quite long due to the sheer amount of micromanaging of quite large empire.

You can also just enable it mid-game from the Options - Game Options menu if you wanna try it out. If you're not using it you should see a significant improvement after enabling those two options.

I just remembered that there was an option somewhere to display the units in pairs, for example swordsmen will be displayed like a group of several of them.

I turned that option off very long time ago with the intention to lessen the graphical impact. And now I just wanted to turn it on again to see if it will make big impact. Strangely I cannot find that option anymore in the settings.

Am I confusing this with Civ 4 ? Or in Civ 5 there was such a video setting indeed ?

I just remembered that there was an option somewhere to display the units in pairs, for example swordsmen will be displayed like a group of several of them.

I turned that option off very long time ago with the intention to lessen the graphical impact. And now I just wanted to turn it on again to see if it will make big impact. Strangely I cannot find that option anymore in the settings.

Am I confusing this with Civ 4 ? Or in Civ 5 there was such a video setting indeed ?
I personally use the mod "Single Unit Graphics", which you can find on Steam Workshop. Even with a good PC, I'd rather see a bigger and more detailed unit as opposed to a multitude of units covering my screen from 5+ civs.

I personally use the mod "Single Unit Graphics", which you can find on Steam Workshop. Even with a good PC, I'd rather see a bigger and more detailed unit as opposed to a multitude of units covering my screen from 5+ civs.
Thanks, let me check that mod you mention. I might like it too, just a single unit and less clutter on the screen. Sometimes it is blankets of units and I can't enjoy the scenery.

EDIT: Quite good mod. I am playing with it now on. Here is sample for other curious players.

Single Unit Graphics.png

Last edited:
Thanks, let me check that mod you mention. I might like it too, just a single unit and less clutter on the screen. Sometimes it is blankets of units and I can't enjoy the scenery.

EDIT: Quite good mod. I am playing with it now on. Here is sample for other curious players.

View attachment 514428
Good screenshot! It appears to make the layout more efficient for deciding on troop movement. Perhaps the multiple units make the screen too busy and congested. @Nutty is the author of this by the way. Great guy, very skilled :)

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/single-unit-graphics.415885/

Last edited:
I think you have to check out this mod. It surprised me positively.

The unit models are increased in size and now when you zoom in you can notice unique details you never observed before. For example, you can admire the Phalanx shield details and their insignia in great detail. You can observe now the feathers on the Jaguar warrior's shoulders as well as their interesting mask and machette. And as if a special lightning effects has been applied to the units.

I wonder if the mod allows to make the units appear even bigger than this. I will check if it allows this tweak.

Just turn on high detail zoom in the game video options as well.

Few days ago with the 3.12 version i had a freeze during barb turns somewhere around turn 500-600 in 2 different games. Giant ynaemp map,22 civs,22 city states and mostly wonder mods,no other major changing mods. I have an HP Omen I7 7700HQ.8 gb of ram and GTX 1050 which i just bought recently. A machine of this perfomance should be avaible to play such huge games without freeze or CTD.

Last edited:
-.-' Yeah. They lied about converting Civ 5 to a 64 bit version. Hopefully one day modders will be able to it.

-.-' Yeah. They lied about converting Civ 5 to a 64 bit version. Hopefully one day modders will be able to it.

It's not possible, and illegal.

Top Bottom