[R&F] Impossible to trade a city just conquered

Maybe the 'Cede/Return cities' function does essentially nothing right now, because it is mainly commented out ... in order to avoid larger problems in connection with the (not yet fixed / finally analyzed) inconsistent return values mentioned by Aristos?!
Quite possibly in what @Aristos has changed but it’s not in the Real lua.
The cede city has not been working since time immemorial ( or we are missing the point)

(2x) Yes, I know. Sometimes it is happening, that I don't transport , what I'm thinking about ... You know, where I was born, we had the joke, that the children learn in school German as first foreign language ... Insiders: I was told to write simply down, what I hear ... so I wrote in a dictation exercise 'Debig' ... the teacher corrected it to 'Teppich' and even later I was told, that is not a blanket, but a carpet ...

I just try to understand, why we see what we see (in the official game). Impossible it is 'as designed'. Hardly believable also, that it is just working 'as implemented' ... methinks "it must have been noticed". So more or less purpose, but why? So the idea was, that the 'Cede/Return cities' functionality was commented out in a hurry in order to avoid larger problems in connection with the (not yet fixed / finally analyzed) inconsistent return values caused by a undetected bug. And is still unpatched.
As I already hopefully wrote, this will be finally patched after the 2nd expansion, as it is as you write not working since time immemorial. ;)

As I already hopefully wrote, this will be finally patched after the 2nd expansion,
OK ... so @Aristos hack in essence got replicated in a patch to bypass something nasty.
And this *will* (???) be fixed in the 2nd expansion?
OK my bad and thanks I'll stop whingeing ... it certainly answers why the Ai is so bad if they cannot resolve issues like this.
Its just planned work + affordable resources < planned work + bug fixes

OK ... so @Aristos hack in essence got replicated in a patch to bypass something nasty.
And this *will* (???) be fixed in the 2nd expansion?
OK my bad and thanks I'll stop whingeing ... it certainly answers why the Ai is so bad if they cannot resolve issues like this.
Its just planned work + affordable resources < planned work + bug fixes

I'm not sure if replicated is the word, as I had to hack-code a different set of if tests to accomplish the same goal within IDS/CQUI... if they only out-commented the entire functionality, and if they did that to avoid the underlying, hidden nasty bug with the isValid dll function, then, well, that is as lame as it gets...

Anyways, what I wanted to do with this is to prevent Vicky from wasting a lot of her time in something that is not even clear is WAD, and likely a manifestation of a horrible bug...

Anyways, what I wanted to do with this is to prevent Vicky from wasting a lot of her time
That’s kind of you to attempt however even in a broken state it is important to understand how the mechanic plays out... and if ceding is just ignored why does it give more warmonger points? TBH the why we likely can only guess at but the knowledge is a half way house between ignorance and understanding which I am happy to travel to.

even in a broken state it is important to understand how the mechanic plays out...
But in this case we are in the situation of an archaeologist, who has only one tooth and 2 broken toenails and tries to describe the whole animal ... I concur, some potential wasting a lot of time in something that is not even clear - I mean further investigation without new evidence Cede being patched, however it was very helpful to check out, what we know now. What is WAD?
if ceding is just ignored why does it give more warmonger points?
Methinks the side-effects, score points: positive & unimportant to most players and warmonger points: negative, are functional, but the core, a block of code or subfunction, is inoperabel: it should be something specific to the state of the city and positive to offset the (standalone counterintuitive) warmonger points.
I speculated wildly with "finally patched after the 2nd expansion :p", simply because then nothing new has to be implemented or is more urgent to be repaired in civ6.

Old thread I know, but this Issue STILL EXISTS.

I eliminated India and captured his capital, which I am able to sell, but wont, because its next to my cities.

I captured a bunch of cities from Hungary hoping to sell them, got them to full loyalty, ended the war, they were ceded. They never appear. I abandoned them and they eventually became free cities.

Next I conquered and eliminated Georgia, took their capital and 3 cities, razed the rest. Again wanted to give them away to someone else, but they do not appear. No loyalty issues, they are not next to anyone.

I had thought maybe I was able to trade India's capital that I just needed to eliminate them, but this is not the case. I'm not sure what is. Do I need to convert them to my religion? Do I need to connect them via roads?

So the whole thing seems to be totally inconsistent.

I'm at the end of my first game anyway, and with the way everything works, it's best just to raze everything. The only reason you would ever keep a city (that isn't next to yours or a capital) is when you are responding to an emergency, and happen to capture a few enemy cities along the way, that you are planning to return.

For Domination, it's just ridiculous. You take a capital, it'll be gone in 10 turns, and when it becomes a free city it gets walls and units. My response to this, is it prevents me from playing nice. Gone are the days when I would capture a capital and leave the civilization alone. Under the new mechanics, I come only with a large army, to crush and lay waste to everything in my path!

In a world that made any sense, most people would sooner be loyal then die, but in Civilization 6, every single person, man, woman, child, must be executed unless they live in the capital. That game utterly demands it!

Considering how powerful pillaging is, and how useful Encampments are for their production and housing, warmongering should be first and foremost in any game, and a consistent part of that game, even if there is no intent on conquest.

Last edited:
I got it! You have to repair the defenses first. If you capture a city with any degree of walls without first completly depleting the blue health bar, you have to spend a few turns "Repairing outer defenses" first. The blue city healthbar does not auto replenish, you have to spend city center production as a special project to restore it. Once your city is fully healthy, the normal trade rules apply.
I too was suffering from the inability to trade a city after capture; I conquered a civ on a foreign continent, aquiring 8 cities. I want to give several that bordered my ally over to them, but only a few were ever tradeable, and not in any imediatly discernible pattern. I googled and googled, then I found this place. I read through the threads, and taking the testing and wisdom that had already been established, I discovered the answer!

Last edited:
I figured it out. I’m not so sure about the loyalty but even if your wall / garrison is one turn’s production away from complete it won’t let you trade. I was staring at this city I just took from Persia trying to figure it out. The one immediately north I could trade but I couldn’t trade this one. The war had been over for several turns. I cross referenced every city detail and came across the “repair outer walls” project. I couldn’t even see the damage it was so slight but upon completion (and this was the only thing that changed) I could trade it.

Top Bottom