Improvement Effects

EmperorFool

Deity
I have two suggestions for the feature that shows you the effects of Worker actions on tiles:

1. Drop the requirement of holding down ALT when a Worker is selected.
  2. Show the difference--not the end result, perhaps with SHIFT (or vice versa).
    +1:c5food: -1:c5production: without Forest

I like a minimalist user interface showing just the information I use on a regular basis. However, I could make it so the extra alt-info shows by default if the basic help game option is enabled. Do you use that option?

I think showing the yield difference should be easy. I've put it on my todo list. :thumbsup:

Great to hear about the difference thing. I also prefer a sparse interface and leave the extra game info disabled. How about just showing the ALT info when you have a Worker selected since that's really the only time you need that info?

BTW, the mod is definitely making Civ5 much more enjoyable! :goodjob:

The info does show on the worker improvement tooltip, which is usually where I look. I only need this info when deciding if to clear a forest/jungle tile. How about the yield-difference shows on the main tooltip if we hover over an unimproved forest/jungle tile with a worker selected?

It's more important now while I'm learning the differences between the mod and Vanilla, and I use it to decide which tiles to improve first. I'm certainly going to improve every Plantation resource eventually, but when my first Worker pops out of the capital and I have three to choose from, I scan each tile with the popup.

Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, the differences show only when the Worker is already on the tile and you hover over the action button. By then it's too late. I'm certainly not going to waste more turns moving to a different tile to check its effects. ;)

I think I should be able to add a gameplay option so the alt-info always displays, with the option checked. I recently got some experience with UI modding so I think it's feasible. How about that? :)

Sounds like a great idea! That was one of my favorite features I started with in BUG: a dead-simple framework for making everything optional.

I definitely value a small popup normally, so I would recommend having it apply only when a Worker is selected. Perhaps Great People as well, but that's so infrequent holding ALT isn't such a big deal.

I have two suggestions for the feature that shows you the effects of Worker actions on tiles:

1. Drop the requirement of holding down ALT when a Worker is selected.
  2. Show the difference--not the end result, perhaps with SHIFT (or vice versa).
    +1:c5food: -1:c5production: without Forest

My workers already show me the difference when I hover over the improvement button on the worker interface.

It's more important now while I'm learning the differences between the mod and Vanilla, and I use it to decide which tiles to improve first. I'm certainly going to improve every Plantation resource eventually, but when my first Worker pops out of the capital and I have three to choose from, I scan each tile with the popup.

Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, the differences show only when the Worker is already on the tile and you hover over the action button. By then it's too late. I'm certainly not going to waste more turns moving to a different tile to check its effects. ;)

Actually I've improving quit bananas (plantation) because the +1 food you get isn't worth the loss of science from the jungle.

My workers already show me the difference when I hover over the improvement button on the worker interface.

Only once you've spent turns moving your Worker onto the tile. What if you have three tiles on which you can build a Plantation and are deciding which to do first?

I think either option is roughly equal for bananas. 1:c5food: = 1.33:c5science: and food improves science. Improving the tile is probably a little more powerful at a time before Universities, but takes worker turns, so the advantage and disadvantage even out.

Top Bottom