Inability to Upgrade

Pelman

Chieftain
You can see my Spearman.
Notice that I do not have the option to upgrade.

You can also see by my resources, and my barracks that I ought to be able to upgrade.

Why can I not upgrade my Spearman to a musketman or Rifleman?

I have all of the necessary techs...I thought I might have skipped something.
But I am unable to upgrade my poor Spearman.

I'm not sure, but sometimes I have to wait a few turns after I have discovered a new unit tech before I can upgrade to the new unit.

I didn't think you could upgrade in a town of that size.
Maybe I'm wrong. (?).

You can upgrade in any size town with a barracks, and assuming you do have the correct techs discovered as you say, then I would guess that you don't have enough money.

Without the cash (your screen shows only 77 gold, and an upgrade to musket costs about 100 I believe), the upgrade symbol does not appear.

Bill

Jeez, I would have assumed anyone trying to upgrade would naturally have enougn money to do it!

I think the money answer is a correct answer. I was just able to upgrade a spearman (120 gold). Now the option is gone for other Spearmen.

Originally posted by Pelman
I think the money answer is a correct answer. I was just able to upgrade a spearman (120 gold). Now the option is gone for other Spearmen.

Yep it would be that pesky money issue. I too have had occasions when I wondered why it wasn't letting me ugrade a unit, even going ahead and moving it to a different city. And then realizing later that I was an idiot and did not have enough money. This usually happens when a trade deal with the AI giving me loads of money runs out and suddenly my income drops and I do not realize it (often to near zero). Then comes the fun dilema of cut back on science and upgrade or say the heck with it and leave them unupgraded.

Originally posted by etj4Eagle

Then comes the fun dilema of cut back on science and upgrade or say the heck with it and leave them unupgraded.

Lack of cash is probably the reason the AI doesn't always upgrade.

Top Bottom