[GS] Inca Discussion Thread

IIRC the difficulty description for civ4 immortal was something like "only the best in the world will beat this" and deity was "good luck, sucker!"
Boy, did they live up to that. At least for younger me who didn't master the art of the whip.
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah defs scared me off :p

Walking on a side of a volcano isn't much more appealing. :p
Excuse me, but I love the smell of soot and ash in the morning. Who DOESN'T find that appealing??? :p

Yeah nah, reroll.
Well at some point you still DO because once you get settled and you like your starting position, eventually you might find unfavorable parts of your surroundings as well. Especially that odd moving blue and red formation to the north wearing bird hats.

Excuse me, but I love the smell of soot and ash in the morning. Who DOESN'T find that appealing??
One of the best things I have done is walk on an active volcano (White Island)... and no it does not smell of soot and ash so much, it's more the sound and vision, smell is limited because of gas mask but the smell when off was relatively normal... a bit sulphury and chlorine

Additionally, since unique infrastructure is auto-razed on conquest, Incan cities will likely starve down to lower population levels when captured. Like the Korean unique campus, they aren't of much value to would-be conquerors.
That's actually...kind of immersive now that I think about it. After all, all of the Inca accomplishments went to waste after the Spanish came and destroyed their civ, and the columbian exchange murdered people. Sure its a roundabout game mechanism that accomplishes it, but hey.

That's actually...kind of immersive now that I think about it. After all, all of the Inca accomplishments went to waste after the Spanish came and destroyed their civ, and the columbian exchange murdered people. Sure its a roundabout game mechanism that accomplishes it, but hey.

And agricultural production plummeted after the conquest, not recovering to the same levels until the 20th century.

One of the best things I have done is walk on an active volcano (White Island)... and no it does not smell of soot and ash so much, it's more the sound and vision, smell is limited because of gas mask but the smell when off was relatively normal... a bit sulphury and chlorine
Interesting. Haven't done that yet myself that I can think of. We were going to do a scheduled tour in Hawaii of volcanoes, but we got so tired of tours that we went to the beach instead. And I don't remember if i visited any when we lived there because I was so young.

And agricultural production plummeted after the conquest, not recovering to the same levels until the 20th century.
Good point as well!

Though all this talk makes me want to have some way that you can "learn" the secrets of your conquered neighbors, since it's not like terrace farming is not used anymore in that region.

White Island/Whakaari is amazing, agreed one of the best things I've ever done. :) The main concern with soot and ash there is figuring out if it's concealing ground or a bubbling pool of burning sulphur water...

How the hell often does a recon unit make it to a level IV promotion?

I've never had one. 2 promotions is the most I've ever gotten on the scout class. And usually I choose the 2 first tier promotions so I can get around the map quickly. This may change with GS, and I may actually go for ambush.

edit: I looked it up, I'm not seeing this extra attack:

I Ranger Faster Movement in Woods and Jungle Terrain. -
I Alpine Faster Movement on Hill Terrain. -
II Sentry Can see through Woods and Jungle. Ranger or Alpine
II Guerrilla Can move after attacking. Ranger or Alpine
III Spyglass +1 Sight Range. Sentry
III Ambush +20 Combat Strength in all situations. Guerrilla
IV Camouflage Only adjacent enemy units can reveal this unit. Spyglass or Ambush

usually I choose the 2 first tier promotions so I can get around the map quickly.
That was me 6 months ago.
Now I actively use them in every army as real skirmishers it will depend on the situation, I have found sometimes being able to look through jungle/woods very useful. But yes, the double move is often great... annoys the hell out of me that +1 vision is not a first level option.

Well, took two days to wade through all the posts this time...

Inca look very interesting, but no specific/explicit potatoes or llamas, so not Outstanding. But close.

My major concern is just how well they have changed/tweaked the Map Generation algorithms. My experience with the current Starting Position algorithms has been that they Suck Like a Starving Leech.
On average, if I am playing a Civ with a terrain-linked Bonus or advantage, I have to restart from 2 to 10 times to get ANY of that terrain anywhere near my starting radius. Except Tundra. You can always get Tundra, so Russia always works.
So, since Incan city siting is all about getting the Mountains and Hills, I would assume that my first starting position will be surrounded by dead flat Tundra tiles, stretching was far as the Polar Bear can stroll...

I've never had one. 2 promotions is the most I've ever gotten on the scout class. And usually I choose the 2 first tier promotions so I can get around the map quickly. This may change with GS, and I may actually go for ambush.

Just the opposite for me, but that's probably because I build Scouts as early as I dare (immediately if no other Civ is In Sight at start) and use them aggressively: after blundering in and out of Barbarian Contact a few times, the Scouts that survive usually have 3 - 4 Promotions before they get Upgraded to Rangers.

That was me 6 months ago.
Now I actively use them in every army as real skirmishers it will depend on the situation, I have found sometimes being able to look through jungle/woods very useful. But yes, the double move is often great... annoys the hell out of me that +1 vision is not a first level option.

I am definitely going to have to try using Scouts more as Combat Units on purpose instead of accidentally!

I'm pretty sure this isn't true. There are already 20 different ways to play and win.

The problem is that there's always going to be one "best way," no matter what the game or what balances are made. And to some people, if it's not the best way then it's crap, and you if you don't use it you shouldn't even be playing really.

Depends on the person. There are definitely some speed runners that just don't care what's introduced if it doesn't shave off X turns, but they are a minority. I personally feel like I straddle both categories. I'm a strategy gamer and like playing higher difficulty levels, but I still predominantly play for the cool/role playing factor. I dislike speed running, where you try to win with the best turn count.

I think balancing the game better is still just better for everybody in the end. Is there really anybody that disagrees with that? The problem is that it would take a significant amount of resources for something that's difficult to measure returns from. For this reason, if FXS doesn't get it right the first time (insanely hard to do), it likely never will.

I am definitely going to have to try using Scouts more as Combat Units on purpose instead of accidentally!
The thing is that now they get XP from combat they can promote quite well.... and if you want a level 4, use them to take cities... 10 XP per time.

The thing is that now they get XP from combat they can promote quite well.... and if you want a level 4, use them to take cities... 10 XP per time.
Well, once they upgrade from scout, they're a ranged unit, so more cities for them.

For me, scouts are usually way too far from anywhere they could possibly upgrade for it to matter. Hence, my position they should be able to upgrade anywhere.

I am a fan of most of their promotions. I think they'd be fairly exciting units with some kinks worked out. Skirmishers are a good step in that direction.

If I understand it correctly - and I expect we'll get a better explanation on the livestream - the Qhapaq Ñan marks an entranceway to the mountain range, in order to get onto the mountain tiles. You can move along them at 2 mp each, and exit at another Qhapaq Ñan.
I don't think so. As I understand it, units still can't be on mountain tiles. Moving onto a Qhapaq Ñan or a Mountain Tunnel teleports you to the other end at a cost of 2 movement points.

My major concern is just how well they have changed/tweaked the Map Generation algorithms. My experience with the current Starting Position algorithms has been that they Suck Like a Starving Leech.
This is a problem. Last time I played on a random map, I played as Nubia, and it took me about 12 restarts just to have desert within sight of my capital. Hopefully the new algorithm will work better...On the other hand, the Inca start position on YnAMP TSL should be glorious for them.

This is a problem. Last time I played on a random map, I played as Nubia, and it took me about 12 restarts just to have desert within sight of my capital. Hopefully the new algorithm will work better...On the other hand, the Inca start position on YnAMP TSL should be glorious for them.
Which is hilarious because I seem to have no problem finding deserts with other civs . . .

Top Bottom