[GS] Inca Discussion Thread

I'm pretty sure that they will be the first civ I play with, food overload

I always play with 5 civs in North/South America, so the Incas are a welcome addition to the available mix.
Gedemon's TSL Terra Maps usually have a lot of mountains in South America, so the Incas should be a good to counter Brazil, Monte
and the Cree, one of whom tends to dominate N/S America in the games I play most often.

There is going to be a live stream tomorrow, they announced last week that this Thursday they will be showing tunnels and how do they work in practice ingame. :)

Kind of surprised so many people think everyone will be able to use the Incan's unique mountain paths. I look at it as being difficult hidden paths known only to the Incans, unable to be traversed by outsiders, so I suspect only the Incan troops will be able to make use of them. Yeah, that's a big advantage for them, but they are set up as an isolationist civ that will be difficult to invade so I think it fits. Might even be neat if the actual entrance and exits themselves were hidden to other players... could lead to some cool strategies where you goad an army into your lands only to ambush them from behind.

Just my two cents.
Roads and bridges can be used by anyone, even during war. It will be the same for tunnels for sure, hence also for the Inca paths.

Which is still ok for tunnels, as you can build the entrances/exits in a bottleneck or very narrow region, where the enemy unit will encounter an ambush. It will be really easy to defend with the Inca if you are at least keeping up on the tech curve - limited movement for enemy units on hills, no coastal bombardement, limited range for ranged units and a unique unit that can strike twice per turn (and even move back with the right promotion). :)

This is going to be one fun Civ for builder-types.

I'm glad you're enjoying Civ 6 and find it similar to previous iterations of Civ, but I don't.

I'm a huge fan of the series. I've played them all and Civ 5 was my favourite. Do you think I'm disappointed in Civ 6 because I don't like the number 6? No. It's because Civ 6, so far, does not offer the type of gameplay that I enjoyed from Civs 1 to 5.

I'm okay with that. I'm happy to wait for Civ 7 and see what it brings. But I'd be even happier if they made some adjustments to Civ 6 in GS to bring it more in line with the experience that was provided by Civs 1 through 5, which for me was a real and meaningful challenge which made playing the game a fun experience, win or lose.

I see your point, but I would also like to say that Civ 4 & Civ 5 were similarly terrible until active development on game systems was finished so it's like compairing apples to oranges at this point.

I see your point, but I would also like to say that Civ 4 & Civ 5 were similarly terrible until active development on game systems was finished so it's like compairing apples to oranges at this point.
Yeah, go back and read posts about half way through Civ 5 development.

So, if tunnels/mountain paths basically work like portals, I wonder whether you can attack through them or alternatively block the exits with units.

Hope we'll see more effects of the wave-particle duality in the future era.
If portals in a more general manner are not included with some future tech, someone will surely mod 'em in.

Reactions: cvb
So, if tunnels/mountain paths basically work like portals, I wonder whether you can attack through them or alternatively block the exits with units.

If portals in a more general manner are not included with some future tech, someone will surely mod 'em in.
I'm guessing "Orbital Insertion" or some such will be in.

The Qhapaq Ñan isn't a tunnel. You can see that it's just a stone arch, presumably marking some kind of mountain path.

It would have been nice to have included some kind of graphic for the path itself, but I can imagine that might be difficult.

If I understand it correctly - and I expect we'll get a better explanation on the livestream - the Qhapaq Ñan marks an entranceway to the mountain range, in order to get onto the mountain tiles. You can move along them at 2 mp each, and exit at another Qhapaq Ñan.

Kind of surprised so many people think everyone will be able to use the Incan's unique mountain paths. I look at it as being difficult hidden paths known only to the Incans, unable to be traversed by outsiders, so I suspect only the Incan troops will be able to make use of them. Yeah, that's a big advantage for them, but they are set up as an isolationist civ that will be difficult to invade so I think it fits. Might even be neat if the actual entrance and exits themselves were hidden to other players... could lead to some cool strategies where you goad an army into your lands only to ambush them from behind.

Just my two cents.

The paths weren't hidden, though. They were the imperial roads. I think it makes more sense for tunnels and paths to be public in the game. Otherwise, it's unbalanced.

+2 production without any tile improvements. If a city owns 3 tiles it can produce +6 production where other civs cannot. That’s better than a yield from an industrial zone in most cases.

Second, mountains can’t be affected by natural disasters whereas mines and other improvements can. Sure it’s constant thoughout the game but it provides a distinct advantage to the Inca.

Plus with a couple of well-placed terrace farms provided glorious amounts of food, it's easy to spare citizens for a 0F, 2P tile. A tile which, BTW, no other civ could use.

I'm pretty sure that they will be the first civ I play with, food overload

I am excited to play them, and do want to try to get 30+ cities, but so far it's still looking like #1: Maori, #2: Hungary and #3 Inca, edit: I forgot about Canada. That's how forgettable they are. Canada will be last. :p I predict Canada will be the new Georgia.

block the exits with units

Doubtful you can attack through the pathway, that would be ridiculous. But it seems easy enough to block the exit. We'll have to see how it works in stream if there are multiple entrances and exits. Otherwise the strat to defend against Inca will be to block the exit.

This makes it a stronger version of the tunnel? I believe tunnel entrances can only be built adjacent to where the builder is?

Does this also mean Inca is the only civ that can access the legendary +6 science campus :mischief:

They should make that an achievement

This is more like it! Am I imagining it, though, or have we gotten 3 isolationist-ish civs in a row? Maori, Canada to some extent with tundra settling, and now Inca. And to boot, it seems like it will be really difficult to be his friend or ally. Or to even live near him. Are the Inca supposed to be a domination civ?
They seem a rather "neutral" civ as far as victory route is concerned, similar to the Cree. That said, a lot of production, as far as I see the game, means first and foremost Scientific victory and then, sure, domination. What makes me doubt their domination potential is the lack of a unit built for that. A skirmisher replacement does not scream domination to me...I suppose the production is also good for wonders (thus culture) but unless you are France, wonder based culture victory is kinda not a thing as far as I am concerned.

They need an aqueduct to get more prod... this is going to be one fat civ filling slots with amenity cards. With all that mountain and hill around they will be difficult cities to take, and they may be 1 range slingers but on hills that’s all they need, heaven help them getting 4 promo’s for a triple shot (EDIT.. ah, scout not ranged). Sort of a civ you just leave to wallow there. Quite a novel and immersive civ to play with a great Incan flavour by the looks.
I can see the Spanish appearing over the saddle and turning away cursing that there is no gold in them thar hills.

Last edited:
They need an aqueduct to get more prod... this is going to be one fat civ filling slots with amenity cards. With all that mountain and hill around they will be difficult cities to take, and they may be 1 range slingers but on hills that’s all they need, heaven help them getting 4 promo’s for a triple shot. Sort of a civ you just leave to wallow there. Quite a novel and immersive civ to play with a great Incan flavour by the looks.
I can see the Spanish appearing over the saddle and turning away cursing that there is no gold in them thar hills.

I agree, but, as you mentioned, I think they will favour a peaceful playstyle, hence science I think. But it is true that they have the tools to potentially get aggressive

Top Bottom