Inca

You should take some screenshots next time. I usually hold off until I get spearmen or horsemen first on the rare occasion of early aggression

I haven't been able to find any real use for Spearmen, and Horsemen come too late to make a super early blitz.

Terrace Farms have adjacency with mountains and farms but not with other Terrace Farms. @CrazyG mentioned in an earlier post in this thread that Terrace Farms are kind of bad and... its true.

Is there a way to make them have adjacency with each other as well? I've got a bunch of mountain triangles with terrace farms that aren't getting any boosts. They also aren't getting any boosts from being next to fresh water. Can we give them that at least?

The Incas in VP became even more terrain dependent than in Vanilla. Your strength depends on how many mountains you can settle, especially ON mountains.
Meanwhile, the map generator keeps giving me small patches of mountains not even enough to place 4 cities, or mountains with grassland. In 10 games I'm lucky to have 1 good start.
I found the trick is to explore a bit and place the capital somewhere else if I see a potential for a mountain area nearby. The few lost turns are easily compensated by superior capital this way.
Overall, the civ feels very different and unique.

Mountain starting bias doesn't exist. The Inca only has a hill bias, and relies on luck to have mountains nearby.

If Inca is too dependent on mountains, maybe terrace farms should be also buildable on hills, but weaker. They could use their UI more often even when they don't spawn near mountains.

If Inca is too dependent on mountains, maybe terrace farms should be also buildable on hills, but weaker. They could use their UI more often even when they don't spawn near mountains.

But... Terrace Farms are buildable on hills... You can always build a Terrace Farm on a resource-less hill, and it gives 1 Food and 2 Production, as well as boosting adjacent regular farms.

You can build Terrace Farms on hills, no mountain requirement.

They aren't very good though, often I would rather have just a normal mine. Also the really good spots for Terrace Farms (like next to mountains) have a habit of being inhabited by sheep.

There are much less sheep in Communitu_79a :thumbsup:

Still, the lack of adjacency bonus between Terrace Farms makes a weird situation where you want a mixture of farm triangles and Terrace Farms instead of a full hilly region.

Ok, my bad. I meant that a bonus that Inca has from mountains could also be from hills to a lesser degree while nerfing the bonus from mountains if necessary. That would make Inca less mountains dependant.

You can build Terrace Farms on hills, no mountain requirement.

They aren't very good though, often I would rather have just a normal mine. Also the really good spots for Terrace Farms (like next to mountains) have a habit of being inhabited by sheep.
terrace farms need to boost adjacent terrace farms, in addition to farms...

I agree, but this alone wouldn't me excited to build them.
what would get me excited to build terrace farms would be if they got every boost that farms get, with the possible exception of the Indian Harrappan Reservoir.

their tech boosts are on the same places as the farm’s but they don’t get cathdral/agribusiness/imperialism boosts, so they fall off.

I would rework their base yields to 1:c5food:1:c5production:1:c5culture:, keep the 1:c5food: to adjacent farms, and give them every base mechanic the farm has:
1:c5food:fresh water boost
1:c5food:for 2 adjacent terrace farms
Every policy/tech/building boost that isn’t another civ’s unique
Maybe an additional tech boost early on, like another 1:c5production: in classical, if that isn’t enough

Last edited:
what would get me excited to build terrace farms would be if they got every boost that farms get, with the possible exception of the Indian Harrappan Reservoir.

their tech boosts are on the same places as the farm’s but they don’t get cathdral/agribusiness/imperialism boosts, so they fall off.

I would rework their base yields to 1:c5food:1:c5production:1:c5culture:, keep the 1:c5food: to adjacent farms, and give them every base mechanic the farm has:
Maybe an additional tech boost early on, like another 1:c5production: in classical, if that isn’t enough

This^^.

Terrace farms are really disappointing as Inca after the very early game because they don't get any of the farm boosts.

I agree that TF are a bit weak in the late game.

1 culture would make them overpowered, for sure, as they are spammable and don't have adjacency restrictions. Other points, I definitely agree - terrace farms are a variety of farms, and should get all farm boosts.

But keep in mind they're also Unique Improvements and get benefits from those.

1 culture would make them overpowered, for sure, as they are spammable and don't have adjacency restrictions. Other points, I definitely agree - terrace farms are a variety of farms, and should get all farm boosts
they already get 1 culture in classical. I’m proposing swapping 1 prod for 1 culture.
eki and Moai are also “spammable” And come out at the same level.

speaking of eki tho, maybe my proposed change makes TFs and eki too similar?

speaking of eki tho, maybe my proposed change makes TFs and eki too similar?
I don't think it's OP with culture, but I do think the yields end up too similar. Shoshone's encampments are pretty similar too.

I think Inca's should be food and production heavy to differentiate it from other UI, while also getting all farm bonuses.

they already get 1 culture in classical. I’m proposing swapping 1 prod for 1 culture.
But 1c is worth more than 1p.
eki and Moai are also “spammable” And come out at the same level.
I haven't played Poly, but I think Moais are balanced because they don't give food. With TF you can literally build them everywhere and work only them. 3-4f 3p 1c tiles would be a bit too strong, IMO.

Top Bottom