Independent Civilization ideas

What should be the scope of the game

• Clone with same bugs and limitations

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jimmyh, as Vuldacon can attest to, I can be a quite thorough -almost to the point of maniacal obsession- tester. I'll make the arrangements tonight. :)

I have set up a private forum for discussion of this topic, together with a private user group. Jimmyh is the leader of the user group, so he should be able to add people to it if they request it.

I have set up a private forum for discussion of this topic, together with a private user group. Jimmyh is the leader of the user group, so he should be able to add people to it if they request it.
Since it's a bit obscure: From your control panel/account page, find the "Group Memberships" link in the left column under Networking. Scroll down to the bottom and find the one called "Project: Independent Civ Development". That will send a request to Jimmyh. Once you are approved you can access the forum at http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=441

Ok I think it's time we had an update on this.

So about 9 months ago I started this thread to see what people thought of creating an independent version of a Civilization game and what you would like to see from it.

I won't cover the thread, you can go read it :p

Any way I started work on some coding and started programming parts of the game, e.g map, units, turns, cities, etc. Also started on an in-game editor.

City Screen, with worker placement.

In-Game Editor:

I was working on a map of the world, I remember getting most of it done, but it appears I may have lost it. So will have to start again.

I got start locations in and working, I also started work on city placement.

I also started work on being able to setup scenario properties, etc.

At this point putting the editor in-game was becoming quite a chore, so I started to look at other methods. Unfortunately at this point I was not able to work on this project for another 6 months :(

So come January I was able to pick it back up and get working again. I Started looking into a proper windows program for the editor.

So far I had these features working:
Current Features:
  • Create Maps
  • Select terrain types via a right click on the terrain icon
  • Clear Map
  • Load and Save a map
  • Zoom in and out using the mouse wheel, also using the +/- keys on the numeric keypad
  • Right click on the map will allow the map to move around
  • Left click will perform an action on the map, depending on what mode the editor is it (currently you can only place terrain)

Spoiler :

Moving on I added cities and territory borders placement to the map. I also started work on the rules and scenario properties.

Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :

At this point we are at the end of January and I had a baby, well not me, that would have been a miracle.

Comming into the middle of Febuary we're at this point.
Spoiler :

Since then I have added a few more things, like being able to add relief and resources to the map.

Quick question.

In Civ 3 you can specify what units are available to which civilizations.

Can any one see a need to have this for City Improvements and Advances? Or is that some thing that can already be done in civ 3?

I could probably see Advances being some thing to limit and since City Improvements come with advances then that would automatically limit that to the civilization as well.

Thoughts?

Wonders/Improvements can require technological advances that are only given to certain Civs in the "none" era

I've sort of been lurking this thread, and am eager to see how it turns out.

Wonders/Improvements can require technological advances that are only given to certain Civs in the "none" era

I've sort of been lurking this thread, and am eager to see how it turns out.

So it would be enough to be able to specify it for advances and not bother with city improvements. Since city improvements would be set on an advance.

So it would be enough to be able to specify it for advances and not bother with city improvements. Since city improvements would be set on an advance.

I would prefer to have the ability to specify civilizations for units, improvements and techs. I consider the use of "none era-tech" as a poor workaround to implement a feature that is missing in the current game.

In case it hasn't been suggested already: It should be possible to have a building as requirement for units. For example a stable in the city to be able to build mounted units.

Good luck with the project!

I would prefer to have the ability to specify civilizations for units, improvements and techs. I consider the use of "none era-tech" as a poor workaround to implement a feature that is missing in the current game.

An improvement would be given along with a tech and since a tech would have the ability to specify for a civilization, I can't see why an improvement would need to be given the ability to be civ specific.

In case it hasn't been suggested already: It should be possible to have a building as requirement for units. For example a stable in the city to be able to build mounted units.

Good luck with the project!

This is already on the cards to be added.

And thank you :)

An improvement would be given along with a tech and since a tech would have the ability to specify for a civilization, I can't see why an improvement would need to be given the ability to be civ specific.
Lets different civs get benefits from one tech. Less cluttered - simpler to follow & also to display - tech tree in other words.

Yes, because if not you need to also set up a resource discoverable with this or that tech (like in Ram's Hegemon) and time it, etc. etc. Much less messy to just allow a tech or building to be seen/acquired/used/whatever by only a civ or group of civs.

Since we're at it, the same wonder/building could have different effects for different civs and/or according to whatever techs the owner has.

Top Bottom