Indonesian AI doesn't settle new continents

JtW

Prince
Hi everyone.

In my first BNW game, the Indonesian AI only settled one city outside of his starting landmass, although there would be more of them available. In my second game he didn't found any cities outside of his original continent at all.

All the while, they spammed cities on their original landmass.

Have you noticed the same behavior in your game? Does the AI know how to use the UA?

Hi everyone.

In my first BNW game, the Indonesian AI only settled one city outside of his starting landmass, although there would be more of them available. In my second game he didn't found any cities outside of his original continent at all.

All the while, they spammed cities on their original landmass.

Have you noticed the same behavior in your game? Does the AI know how to use the UA?

Only Played one game and well Indonesia seems to be pretty much non expansive by default.

For almost the whole game it remained in its own small continent but it didn't take all the land. Only much later it settled just one city on a small island but by that time everyone was scrambling for the remaining available land.

So well from one side I think Indonesia really should value expansion more at least like Hiawatha and the Shoshone, form the other side it's interesting to note that Indonesia had available land on its own continent but it decided to go for an island instead.

Game I'm currently in, arrived in the Industrial and finally got a good view of Indonesia...of his 8 cities, 3 are on a different landmass. So he's doing well for me. Which map type do you play on, I'm at Small Continents.

In my only game with him he settled cities in really weird places far away from his capitol, but none were actually on another continent.

They should just crank his expansionist value to 11, that means he will be one of those guys who put a city in every 1-tile island. At least then he is guaranteed to make use of his UA.

It is hard for Indonesia on a continents map to use his UA pre-astronomy...often downright impossible. I just started a game as them on a continents map and I chose to expand into my continent down a series of rivers to take advantage of the Candi and to grab as much iron as possible to spam Kris swordsmen. After I hit astronomy I plan on searching for those uninhabited islands to get those extra spices. Perhaps the AI in your game was doing the same?

Indonesia IRL is an archipelago state; it should be played on archipelago maps where it is forced to go to other islands ("continents") to expand.

I've noticed that as well. I actually used IGE to plop down a city for them on some remote island as Indonesia refused to expand beyond 4 cities.

I haven't played against Indonesia yet, but I've had two games where Byzantium hasn't immediately gone for Piety. In one of those games, she never got a religion, and in the other she still doesn't have a pantheon. So it does seem like certain civs are just forgetting how to use their bonuses. These are both Prince, and admittedly they're both random personalities, so take it with a grain of salt.

I've also seen AI Indonesia go tall and not take advantage of its UA. It's silly. It should always try to colonize new continents. Polynesia sometimes colonized like crazy. Indonesia should always do it.

Indonesia is far from the only civ the AI ignores the UA:

1. Dutch AI still wants an arm and a leg for its last copy of luxury resources.

2. The Fall patch to G&K resulted in the Austrian AI ignoring its UA of marrying city states.

3. The Babylon AI doesn't appear to fill its science slots.

etc.

As another said this civ is nearly worthless on anything but an islands map. IMO however Polynesia is still the better of the two. Since indonesia cant enter the water until techs just like everyone else it is screwed when it comes to any water map with polynesia since kamehameha usually loves to put cities everywhere including the best islands. The solution then is not having the polynesian DLC!. although its scenario is one of my favorites and I could never do without kamehameha now. He does love to pop up on those water heavy maps so it seems unlikely to me that if you have that DLC (they didnt give him away in BNW too did they? I paid good money for him!) that he wont show up on those maps. Maybe, they could give indonesia the promotion that comes with optics rather that the one polynesia gets which is astronomy's. It would also make sense to me, that since their home is one of the worlds largest archipelagos that they could scoot between their "spice islands" in shallow water. The Polynesians were full on seafarers able to cross most of the pacific with their unique knowledge of wind/currents. These guys on the other hand never ranged far from home so I think starting with the shallow water only promotion would give this civ the edge up it needs.

As another said this civ is nearly worthless on anything but an islands map. IMO however Polynesia is still the better of the two. Since indonesia cant enter the water until techs just like everyone else it is screwed when it comes to any water map with polynesia since kamehameha usually loves to put cities everywhere including the best islands. The solution then is not having the polynesian DLC!. although its scenario is one of my favorites and I could never do without kamehameha now. He does love to pop up on those water heavy maps so it seems unlikely to me that if you have that DLC (they didnt give him away in BNW too did they? I paid good money for him!) that he wont show up on those maps. Maybe, they could give indonesia the promotion that comes with optics rather that the one polynesia gets which is astronomy's. It would also make sense to me, that since their home is one of the worlds largest archipelagos that they could scoot between their "spice islands" in shallow water. The Polynesians were full on seafarers able to cross most of the pacific with their unique knowledge of wind/currents. These guys on the other hand never ranged far from home so I think starting with the shallow water only promotion would give this civ the edge up it needs.

Very minor gripe that has to do with a historical tidbit and not the gameplay itself: Indonesians ranged very far from home - from Madagascar to Polynesia. (There are theories lying around regarding their sphere of influence, as well as settlements, and whether or not they extended elsewhere)

But yeah I see what you mean - Polynesians had a tendency to sail the high seas whereas Indonesians were more pronounced between islands (though they did sail through treacherous seas)

Top Bottom