Industrious v/s Philosophical

Is Industrious Better than Philosophical?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Early rush is the easiest form for winning the game, sure it isn't the only one. Early rush does not get along well with wonder spam, so I think the Philosophical is the easiest choice.

This is basically no contest... Philo is way better most of the time as there are very few wonders you really want and even then industrious doesn't give very many hammers with all the other multipliers...

This is basically no contest... Philo is way better most of the time as there are very few wonders you really want and even then industrious doesn't give very many hammers with all the other multipliers...

That is no ordinary hammer multiplier. Getting a hammer bonus to wonders not only lets you build them faster, but it increases the chance you can build them at all.

When you play an Industrious leader, you're not using the +50% bonus as a substitute for other bonuses, but rather as an enhancement to them.

..there are very few wonders you really want...

I got the intention and would state it as "there are very few wonders you really need"
Most people are way too wonder happy.

Not exactly sure as wonders are pretty powerful. Great Leaders have only a (admittedly large) one time effect in case of bulbing and hurrying production. (I am not talking of settling)
As for Rameses, yes he does have the traits I want, but his UU is a war chariot, useful only in the early game while Gandhi's Fast Worker is good throughout. It definitely helps building up a Cottage economy.

Not exactly sure as wonders are pretty powerful. Great Leaders have only a (admittedly large) one time effect in case of bulbing and hurrying production. (I am not talking of settling)
As for Rameses, yes he does have the traits I want, but his UU is a war chariot, useful only in the early game while Gandhi's Fast Worker is good throughout. It definitely helps building up a Cottage economy.

Settling is pretty powerful too though. Academies might be even better. I know I know I voted industrious and I meant it, but philo is a very strong trait. I ran a CE game with it and it even augmented that (GP farm put out GP FASTER, and they were scientists. I had a bunch of academies, which go really well when you have cheap universities on top of that!). Teched very well and blasted an AI stuck in medieval times with grens/cannons. Enough land to secure victory? I think so...

I used to think philo was hard to use but you don't need any exotic strats or SE to make use of it. All you need is a GP farm. You get a couple extra GP per game, but more importantly faster. Can this defeat the effects of an early wonder? That depends on the map.

I'm not sure about this one, will wait with my vote. My best victories were with Industrious leaders, true, but only recently I started to polish utilizing GPP's. So far I've found that Phi civ with stone/marble can be craaaazy :crazyeye::lol:

I'm tired of cottages, still don't understand (or appreciate) a "pure" SE, so I'm wonderspamming like crazy right now. Actually, as Ramesses I get a lot of my production from (boosted) priests, so that's probably closer to a SE than I realize(d)...

BtS, Emperor. Lately playing Terra maps. Usually I've built around Snaaty's CE--Aesthetics--GL-CoL--Liberalism--Rifleman wars template, although I routinely get distracted into Axeman or Maceman wars or into tech digressions based on situation. So:

Financial first.

Philosophical second.

Any of Industrious, Spiritual, Organized, or Creative. Yes, C only matters early, but it matters a lot.

Protective and Charismatic tied for last.

I am pretty sure that I would rather have industrious than any other trait right now. It really helps to ensure you get your economy on track. If you're on the coast: GLH. If you want to go SE: Pyramids. If you have a solid production capital: Obsolete's wonderspam. In any case: Oracle --> something that helps your economy (monarchy, col, metal casting).

LOL the Great Lighthouse has become like crack for you.

Early rush is the easiest form for winning the game, sure it isn't the only one. Early rush does not get along well with wonder spam, so I think the Philosophical is the easiest choice.

early rushes are not that feasablle on huge maps

Founding so many religions early game is unnecessary and will only slow you down. The early game is the most important time and investing so many of your initial beakers into religions is a waste and will cost you greatly on the higher difficulties (although it is unlikely one will even get a religion on the higher levels)

I dislike founding too many religions. I don't want a potential tech club on a far away continent get all lovey-dovey because they only have one religion there. Additional shrine income isn't worth it.

Top Bottom