Inflation is costing me several hundred per turn!!!!

Could you mouse over the inflation entry. It will give you a percentage. This percentage of all other costs (Unit cost, Unit supply, City maintenance, Civic upkeep) is the number mentioned at the inflation entry.

If you reduce the military costs, then your inflation will reduce as well.

In my present game,
unit cost: 20
city maintenance: 144
civic upkeep: 173
inflation (34%): 114

34% of 20+144+173 is equal to 114.58 rounded down to 114.

I've never seen inflation go over 100% in a game yet, but your percentage seems to be 164% (calculated by the numbers given in your screenshot). This probably has to do with you playing far longer then the normal enddate. I must say that I don't like the fact that inflation doesn't have a maximum. Hopefully there's a 100% maximum during the normal games timeline.

Roland Johansen said:
I must say that I don't like the fact that inflation doesn't have a maximum.
I guess they have it setup that one way or another, the game is going to end.

I forgot all about the percentage when playing. Does it reach 100% at 2050 and go up from there?

Well the game won't nessesarily end. The game will eventually get to the point where nothing will be able to be built or maintained as such. Eventually, every single military unit and every single city improvement will be dispanded. However, all of the cities I've built and all of the cities that the other civilizations have built will still remain. It'll just be a completely empty world...(with the exception of the cities).

I'm in the year 2800 now. I'll post some updated pictures of the world and demographics once I got home if any of you are interested in how things turn out.

I've updated the main post. Inflation rate rise from 164% to 348%, even though my army has suffered huge cutbacks. Is there no stopping the big red inflation machine?

Tony Montana said:
I've updated the main post. Inflation rate rise from 164% to 348%, even though my army has suffered huge cutbacks. Is there no stopping the big red inflation machine?

Start a new game FFS.

I've seen the effects as far as global warming go, and heard about the seas rising, but have seen no proof that this actually happens. I even played test games to see if the oceans would rise and they never did. If you could keep playing until the oceans do rise (if this is possible) and report it I would love to see it.

well..
this is silly, but kinda cool.

i wouldn't mind seeing a save of it.

oagersnap said:
What does that hae to do with inflation?

Villages, hamlets and the like produce gold, remember?

Inflation is simply a fudge factor to ensure that your empire's upkeep increases over the course of the game. Contrary to what some seem to think it has very little to do with things like the amount of stored gold you have, or the size of your empire, but is almost entirely connected to the turn number. It has nothing to do with real life inflation since it is simply a convienient label for a balancing factor, so the discussions of real life inflation are rather pointless. There is practically nothing you can do in game to effect it, its simply something you have to deal with as the game goes on.

Well actually the % of infltion is Turn # only, and you can't do anything about it.

The AMOUNT of inflation is your Other Expenses x that %,
So you CAN reduce inflation... by cutting all your other expenses,

but otherwise... yes a game will eventually result in the losses of all Units (Do improvements get disbanded?.. I don't know, this game sounds like a good one to test that)... Of course Global Warming speeds this process up even more, because it also never stops growing. So eventually all cities will only have a population of 1+# of water tiles, and produce almost no gold. (not to mention dropping unit support)

So wahat are the effects of
1. Extreme Global Warming (anything happen besides terrain turning to desert?)

2. Extreme Bankruptcy (anything happen besides units being disbanded?)

Hilarious experiment, do keep us updated.

What we need is some post apocalytic Mad Max style units for that dustball you've turned the world into. :nuke:

Just was messing with the numbers and looking at the XML
for each of the game speeds there is an Inflation % and a Inflation offset
If you take the number of turns until 2050 and subtract the offset and then multiply by the number you get

Marathon 10*1200-200)=10 k
Epic 20*(660-160)=10k
Normal 30*(460-120)=10.2k
quick 40*(320-70)=10 k

So that means After a certain # of Turns, the Inflation sets in and then goes towards a fixed value at 2050.
The Formula would be
(Turn #-Turn Offset)*Speed Factor[10%to 40%]*Difficulty Factor [70%-100%]

That makes 348% Inflation in the Year 3000 and 164% in the Year 2321for Normal Speed Noble difficulty.

So assuming you go to lowest maintenance levels
Representation, Slavery, FS/Nationalism, State Prop, Pacifism (and disband all your units)
a pop 1 City costs ~1 Gold in Civic Costs and ~2 Gold in # city Costs for a base cost of 3 Gold.

Now if you have all the Holy Cities and Get all religions in that city it can make you between
14-21 Gold (depending on how many Holy cities are with Wall Street)
and another
10 (4 trade routes and one city square commerce+100%)

So it costs you 3 and can give you 24-31 gold

So with sufficient missionaries you can support a Desertified city up till 700-900% Inflation [4300-5000 AD]

Without Missionaries/Shrines it drops to about the year 3000 AD when those size 1 cities are worthless

Now Seaside cites can help even more... each population can work a water tile giving 4 gold (and also helps trade income), but each population costs ~0.16 in base civics costs

So Seaside populations are still profitable until 2400% inflation (10,000 AD)

Of course if Global Warming never got going, then Cities could be size 20 making ~200 Gold from Towns and Trade
Civics costs of such a city would be about 6 gold
City # ~2
so 8 gold base... another one that would last till ~10,000 AD

Now those are on Normal Speed on Quick speed they will collapse faster, on Marathon Speed they could go even farther (till about 25,000 AD)

Krikkitone said:
Now those are on Normal Speed on Quick speed they will collapse faster, on Marathon Speed they could go even farther (till about 25,000 AD)

Now the word marathon begins to make sence. Is this an easter egg:D ?

Marathon is 42.195km And i have done that :woohoo:

Top Bottom