Initial look at Nexus, 3D Unit Art and reskinning

Well, I have been browsing this forum for a while but know I remember something. Didn't Dale say that .Civ5mod files were just .7z files with different extensions? If so, then you theoreticaly make the files with mod buddy, put the art in to the folders and then package them with winzip, and still upload with mod buddy.
edit: it's here: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/ent...eart-is-through-his-modinfo-and-civ5mod-files.

I'm not sure there is such a big difference. You wouldn't really say that changing the colour of a soldiers uniform (which a lot of reskins do) really changes the unit graphic much. The mesh, skeletons and animations would be distributed unchanged.

With regards to the legalities I think there is a big gap between the letter of law and what plays out in practice.

For example, Fall from Heaven II uses the Bloodthirster graphic from Relic's Dawn of War for their Hyborem unit. This is technically illegal I'm sure. Looking at ModDB, the latest version of Fall from Heaven II has been downloaded over 100,000 times which I presume is a "substantive infringement" of copyright since they are distributing content from another game for free.

However, it is not really worth companies' time and money going after infringements like this, particularly since that modding is not-for-profit. Imagine Relic went after Kael and the Fall from Heaven team for distributing their graphical content illegally - it would be very bad PR for them in the gaming community at the very least.

However, I do see that DLC changes that landscape. I think trying to have both amazing community created mods while making money out of DLC is like trying to have your cake and eat it. I was indifferent to DLC before, but now I'm beginning to see why it's such a bad move.

I very much disapproved of porting copyrighted content over to CivIV. It just seems so "unmoder-like" to me and I could never take pride in such work. In the case of FFHII, I am sure they will purge the commercial version of the game of any such infringments prior to release. One thing we all have to remember as well is that game companies often have provided us with the means to create our own orginal 3d content for their games but they seldom have encouraged us to modify theirs with, possibly, the exception of repainting the skin.

However, you are quite correct in that people are starting to learn that DLC and Steam does spell a change for Civ moding and possibly a shift in fanbase marketing strategy. I do not feel that our ingenious moding community will be left alone if they manage to "crack" the system this time..........if they can do it at all to anything that would even approach the extend of CivIV.

I did a little checking and Granny 3d export scripts are available for all versions of 3ds Max after version 4, but they are only available with the Granny 3d SDK which is sold commercially for a rediculous price. It seems 2k Games has gone out of its way to make the 3d graphics inaccessible by creating a special Granny 3d proprietary format.

Although, It does look like there was some intention with Nexus to allow "one-way" moding of 3d graphics, I feel there is interest at Steam/2k Games in seeing if add-on DLC content may be profitable rather than leaving that in the hands of the moding community and it does seem plausible that if one can't make such content, one might buy it if available.

Well, I guess it is a disappointment but what can one do? We bought into it and now we've got it. Then again, it is a little early to close the book on CivV and we could all just be a little too used to the freedom they allowed us with CivIV but I do somehow feel that the "golden age" of Civ moding has ended.

Will probably go back to civ3n4 until this is resolved ... looked at GR2 files and tools and gotta say bummer.

has any one tried contacting firaxis (or 2K Greg) about this?

contact to ask what the deal is with graphical modding. will we be getting mroe tools or are we totally screwed?

there will be updates

how do you know? have you contacted firaxis or something? also if you know, what kind of updates?

Well, I have been browsing this forum for a while but know I remember something. Didn't Dale say that .Civ5mod files were just .7z files with different extensions? If so, then you theoreticaly make the files with mod buddy, put the art in to the folders and then package them with winzip, and still upload with mod buddy.
edit: it's here: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/ent...eart-is-through-his-modinfo-and-civ5mod-files.

Making a mod without modbuddy doesn't help. However you make your mod you will not be able to reskin an existing unit. Having said that, the inability to reskin or customize existing units is secondary in my opinion. The main problem is that, due to Nexus bugs and lack of information on how to use it, it is not yet possible to get custom units into the game.

Ekmek said:
there will be updates

It would be great if there was an update to Nexus as part of the announced forthcoming patch. It would also be really helpful to have a worked example of putting a home-made unit into the game with sample source FBX files. Hopefully, these things will come eventually, but we'll have to be patient for now.

how do you know? have you contacted firaxis or something? also if you know, what kind of updates?
There have been several posts in the official forums and on the official wiki noting that they intend to fix various things (related to modding), including Nexus. Not seen any guarantees, of course; it's more than their jobs are worth, I imagine.

Just to be clear (total newbie modder here...):

1. There is currently no way to edit existing game units because of lockouts.

2. There is currently a way to create homemade units from scratch and put them into the game, but this option is broken (tools don't work).

Is this correct?
Thus, there is no way to change or add any visual content to the game (at least as far as units go)?

Correct both times, varus.

contact about what? they know that the modding community is important but they also want the latets revenue stream for games which is DLC.

Actually, I was somewhat theorizing in my above post but the profit potential is there. DLC an Ancient Asian, WWII, etc., etc. unit or new civilization pack for the fans to mod with. In a way, we demonstrated the demand and the most popular items through our lively moding of CivIV. (Among the most dramatic is Firaxis picking up FFHII for commercial production and distribution.)

Once again, it is only my impression. Although it does seem like 2K Games/Firaxis has something "up their sleeve" when it comes to Civ5 that they haven't shared with us yet.

Yup Empire total war was the same. Steam killed modding.

Not to keep beating the subject to death....but, yeah! Compared to Rome and Medieval II Total War, Empire is still the least moded and modable of all the Total War games, not to mention the buggiest. I think alot of its hype was fabricated by Sega and tapped into the great experiences people had and still have playing and moding Rome and Medieval II.

This works a charm, lemmy. You're a legend.

Find attached a demo mod which replaces the warrior graphic with my Flintstones style reskin from earlier in the thread. I used lemmy's tool to make a new GR2 file based off warrior.gr2, switching the texture to my edited one.

The demo mod includes only four files: warrior_flintstone.gr2 (the file outputted from lemmy's tool), warrior_diff_flintstone.dds (my amended texture), warrior_flintstone.fxsxml (edited to point to the previous two files) and civ5artdefines_unitmembers.xml (edited to point to warrior_flintstone.fxsxml for the warrior units).

This means we can now include reskinned vanilla Civ 5 units in mods. Great work lemmy.

Attachments

• ReskinTestMod (v 1).zip
    51.4 KB · Views: 95
Well done to CaptainBinky as well then. I'll update the opening post with a little tutorial when I have more time.

Top Bottom