1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Initial look at Nexus, 3D Unit Art and reskinning

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Modding Tutorials & Reference' started by Deliverator, Oct 2, 2010.

1. lemmy101

lemmy101 Emperor

2. 14koder

14koder Philosopher

I tried changing the path by right clicking on viewer and going to settings, but the path was already correct.

3. lemmy101

lemmy101 Emperor

4. Rubin

Rubin King

I have to ask how you put this simple mod together.

I havde the default terraindef.csv, that I should be able to edit easily with a text editor. I have the new terrain textures as .dds files compatible with Civ5 (I tested this by replacing your purple .dds file). But how did you create the .modinfo file? Is this a feature of ModBuddy?

Edit: I understand now that .modinfo is created when you build a mod using ModBuddy. While I still would like to know the best way to implement new terrain textures ("recolors"), I guess what I really need is a ModBuddy beginner's guide :) Your work has been a tremendous help. Thank you!

5. 14koder

14koder Philosopher

How do you edit the registry?

6. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Hit the windows key + R, type in regedit, hit enter, then the registry comes up.
    But attention: Don't change anything else, registry changes can screw your system if you don't know what you're doing.

7. 14koder

14koder Philosopher

After the registry comes up, what do I do. Also how does it screw up your computer, cause I just got mine.

8. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Go to HKCU\Software\Firaxis\Tools\ (you can navigate there like in the windows explorer) and change the mentioned value.

9. Jaythekiller

Jaythekiller Warlord

10. martijnaikema

martijnaikema Warlord

Thanx a lot Lemmy101! I tried your app, but when I want to export the recolor using the Smart Export I get the message:

No animation data is found in the loaded file. Cannot export unit.

I tried to import different types of units, but with all these units there are no animation definitions loaded.

Also I noticed that with the material-editor, the skinned unit materials refer to a directory D:\projects\ :

BaseTextureMap: D:\projects\ArtDev\Civilization5\Units\U_Babylonian_Bowman\U_Babylonian_Bowman_DIFF.dds
    DullEnvironmentCubeMap: D:\projects\main\Civ5\Game\assets\Shared\Environment_Steel_Dull_32.dds
    etc.

Do I need to adjust a setting?

11. lemmy101

lemmy101 Emperor

Actually I think I need to do a fix to allow for reskinning units in the new version, will do a release ASAP, tomorrow perhaps. :)

12. martijnaikema

martijnaikema Warlord

That would be great :)

13. 14koder

14koder Philosopher

Where is HKCU? I can only find things that start with HKEY.

14. Jaythekiller

Jaythekiller Warlord

15. 14koder

14koder Philosopher

Thanks it finally worked! LeaderModels is taking 4 ever to unpak though.

16. Blumonster

Blumonster Chieftain

Thanks for doing this.
    Question: using REGEDIT, under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/FIRAXIS/, I don't have a Tools/ToolAssetPath directory. Under Firaxis, all I have is Modbuddy and Nexus (and neither one has a Tools folder). Am I being dense and just missing something?

17. Jaythekiller

Jaythekiller Warlord

18. Blumonster

Blumonster Chieftain

Thanks. Actually I had launched Nexus previously, but I went and checked and, of course, now that you said that, it's there! Lol. I wonder if using the asset viewer is what creates the tool folder, is that possible? Because I think that's the only thing I did differently since originally launching it and poking around to see what was what.

19. Jaythekiller

Jaythekiller Warlord

20. Oberon James

Oberon James Chieftain

Jaythekiller, that's a nice unit, you should post it to the unit graphics thread.