Initial thoughts

Is it working for you guys? I am in Zone 2 and still have only pre-load button there :(
Try to restart steam. That worked for me. I have to install another CIV6 update though which takes another 8 minutes or so.

Plenty of barbs on prince to pester your cities initially.

What irks me most is the difficulty to 'read' the map. Units blend too well into the environment and the FOW makes it tough to identify resources etc there.

I noticed that in the CREATE GAME > Advanced Setup screen, the game now shows us the random seed. Perhaps this means no more need to keep zero turn savegames? Just share the random key (and the advanced setup screen) and the same world can be replicated? Like so:

Spoiler :

Edit: I tried it and with the same Advanced Setup options, entering the same pair of seed numbers, I ended up with the exact same start on Turn 0. Even the way how my initial camera was ways off from the Settler.

Last edited:
Well, I have been playing for only 1.5 hours before I have to slave away, but my initial impressions are:

1. I'm lost on what to do. That's a given on any first try.
2. I just love that you have this dynamic ancient era with the fact that you have to hunts and defeats barbarians before they can do things to you. Also the fact that you can create slingers and warriors fast is a plus.
3. The whole map feels more dynamic.
4. Love the units upgrading systems.
5. Boosting and Inspirations seems to be overpowered.

I lost a game to the Ai! The aztecs played well their ability, they attacked me to kill units and enslave them and then pulled away. They attacked in force and overall moved well. Also plenty of wars early game!

I lost a game to the Ai! The aztecs played well their ability, they attacked me to kill units and enslave them and then pulled away. They attacked in force and overall moved well. Also plenty of wars early game!
what difficulty was that?

This game is SO PRETTY! The tree design that I had been complaining about actually looks much better when I play the game myself - the design works for the fog of war, too. Turns out that woods get less sparse if you increase the graphics settings.

My minor complaints have been the same as others': no intuitive way to stop the auto unit cycle, and the map tooltip takes longer than I like to appear. Another complaint I have is the edge-scrolling and lack of map inertia. The edge-scrolling doesn't work if you hover the mouse over the top panel or other parts of the UI, so you have to position your mouse very carefully to scroll top. Dragging the map with the mouse is less pleasant now that the inertia seems to be gone, as panning around the map becomes quite tedious.

The options are pretty barebones. But I'm glad we at least get a Borderless Window option this time - finally! I trust Firaxis will reintroduce these options in future patches.

Top Bottom