Initial thoughts

Science seems advance way faster than what I could build. I always left with many new things and have to consider what to build next, and everything at first glance look important.

Will need more time to adjust, but that look like a good thing currently. Just that I feel like the later tech should be slower.

Science seems advance way faster than what I could build. I always left with many new things and have to consider what to build next, and everything at first glance look important.

Science and civics may advance too quickly, but IMO you absolutely should have to make decisions about what to build in your cities. Build-everything gameplay is no bueno. :nono:

So, there isn't any intuitive way to zoom out, is there? Because I keep resolution low to ensure performance on my old, Intel hd 4400 integrated graphics laptop, the UI is massive. Further, every time I complete a wonder I have to reload to get to a reasonable and playable zoom.

Switching between which units I want to move (after auto switch takes place or when I change my mind about who to move first) is annoying.

Lastly, AI keep up much better in tech and civics early on, but seem to fall rapidly behind in later eras. They are upgrading the warrior line pretty well, at least, as well as employing diverse militaries.

First 50 turns - got ALL eurekas/inspirations for tech/policies I was researching; halving theirs costs - too easy, too strong.

Besides game is interesting :)

Been watching my buddy playing it and here are my initial thoughts.

• The grid is almost invisible, makes counting tiles difficult, but not a big deal. I'm sure this can be fixed easily by a simple mod.
  • After all the talk of districts, I was very disappointed to find out that after building the military unit district and the barracks, the it still requires the unit to be built by the city itself. Same with other buildings in other districts. I didn't watch any streams, so maybe I should have known better, but the way they are districts seem like a time sink without much gameplay benefit. Just one more thing that has to be built to build the units and buildings that actually do things.
  • The restrictions on where things can be built are annoying. We worked hard to get to a wonder, only to find out it can only be built on desert and not just any desert, it has to be a desert without hills. Seems like an unnecessary restriction that serves no purpose beyond further limiting what can be built where you want it to be built.
  • Religion stuff is pretty awesome.
  • I liked the governments and the cards you can use for benefits.
  • Districts have to be repaired by the city? Really? That is what builders are for. Don't like this part at all.
  • I'm not one that will quibble over art choices, until they get in the way of seeing things clearly. Many of the improvements are hard to see unless you zoom in really close. If the choice is improvements that look good zoomed in and improvements that you can actually see zoomed out, I choose the latter. This was something that Civ 4 got right, the improvement was the size of the tile and there was no question if you had a mine/farm/etc built or not. This extends to quite a few areas of the game, like the point about the grid I mentioned above and the following.
  • Again, while artistically neat, the fog of war is annoying. I don't need stylized map-like graphics, just show what is fog of war and what isn't without getting in the way. Art work choices should never supersede gameplay functionality. Makes me think Fraxis let an artist get to high up in the chain of command and they are making calls to the detriment of accessibility.
  • After watching a game for a few hundred turns, the AI seemed fine. China destroyed several other civs and had a good showing against us, but thanks to a choke point we held them to a stalemate and they eventually gave up.
  • We tried to get a LAN game going with another buddy and couldn't get it to work. Stop with this 'lobby' nonsense and just give a damn direct connect option where we can enter the IP of the other party. Again, fanciness where none is needed, just provide the basic options and get out of the way.
  • All and all, I'm not completely disappointed. First impressions, it is way better than 5 and close to 4 if not quite there. I'll probably still hold off buying because it is a Steam game, but if you ever offer a GOG or other no-drm version, then I'll jump on it for $50 or less. If you don't mind Steam bloatware and drm, then I can see dropping $60 on it, but personally I can't recommend $80 for any base game, no matter how many additional civs, maps, and leaders they promise.

Not intending to bash the game on 1.5 hours, but requested a refund on mine.
- I found the semi-FOW very irritating. Didn't think it would bother me so much, but it did.
- If scrolled out much at all the units seem very small, and that "bubble/icon" attached to each unit seems bigger than the unit and makes it hard to see other map stuff.
- Just something about the entire UI I found very annoying. I guess I'd get used to it in time, but found myself hunting very hard for stuff I'm used to being "right there" in a civ game.
- Mine was a quick start game with Sumer. I met Teddy R, and then for some strange reason my music PERMANENTLY became that of U.S. So there I am, smacking barbarian hordes attacking my city with my War Carts, to good ol' Hillbilly fiddle music. LOL!

I'm not inherently afraid of new stuff, new approaches, etc. I'm sure there will be patches and hundreds of mods in no time. For some reason this particular version not only didn't "grab" me, it kind of turned me off. I could very well break down in the distant future when there's a deep discount, etc., and give it another shot but it just doesn't currently seem worth $60 to me. I was SO looking forward to this game.

Not intending to bash the game on 1.5 hours, but requested a refund on mine.
- I found the semi-FOW very irritating. Didn't think it would bother me so much, but it did.
- If scrolled out much at all the units seem very small, and that "bubble/icon" attached to each unit seems bigger than the unit and makes it hard to see other map stuff.
- Just something about the entire UI I found very annoying. I guess I'd get used to it in time, but found myself hunting very hard for stuff I'm used to being "right there" in a civ game.
- Mine was a quick start game with Sumer. I met Teddy R, and then for some strange reason my music PERMANENTLY became that of U.S. So there I am, smacking barbarian hordes attacking my city with my War Carts, to good ol' Hillbilly fiddle music. LOL!

I'm not inherently afraid of new stuff, new approaches, etc. I'm sure there will be patches and hundreds of mods in no time. For some reason this particular version not only didn't "grab" me, it kind of turned me off. I could very well break down in the distant future when there's a deep discount, etc., and give it another shot but it just doesn't currently seem worth $60 to me. I was SO looking forward to this game.

Sorry but, if I may ask, if this 4 points convinced you to ask a refund after 1.5 hrs how many games have you actually managed to buy and keep?

Finished my first game as Germany on a standard map/speed/settings/Emperor with a T249 space victory. Only 1 AI went for religious victory which annoyed me. Even after I took out his empire,(china) had 1 city on the other side of the map and still managed to spam apostles like no tomorrow. He had religion in 6/8 civs by the last turn. I didn't get a religion myself which meant I didn't really have a way to defend against it.

AI was very passive and most hated me I was chain denounced through out the game. AI was no threat so i just ignored them completely.

Been playing a game as Rome today, it's been pretty fun. One thing I'm really surprised by is that there isn't really a way to make your cities massive in VI. Production and growth are a lot slower, I'm relying on adjacency bonuses and civics more than I am anything else, I'm even barely using the tech tree at all. The game itself seems really well designed, though the AI is disappointing, having very outdated units and just wandering around instead of attacking. Terrain is destiny in VI, discovering an early natural wonder and having a lot of stone and good mountain spots made me go for a religious game, despite not planning that beforehand. Each city feels very distinct because adjacency bonuses are so important, which I really like.

All in all, a good game so far. It's interesting, there's a lot to do, a lot of choices to make.

First game egyptians small map king

Starting hanging gardens bonus to growth seems more important now global happiness is removed

love builders districs civics government dinamics

ui is painful

cant see things properly.

menus are small and cheap

massive loading time

no bugs so far

civ abilitied are challenging to use. more difference between abilitiez

for a vanilla without even a patch it is awesome. really hope they can address the issues

build everything is just for lower difficulty imo, because if you play your cards right the AI wont be able to touch you, it is when you get to higher difficulties where the AI will start to knock on your front door

also the warmonger penalty is hindering AI from doing late game war imo, maybe it needed to be tone down, even just for the AI while human players still receive the same amount of penalty

I love this version. So many interesting decisions : governments, civics, research, districts, trade... They really removed the boring parts of the game and enhanced good parts immensely. Every city finally looks different. No more worker cluster. Even diplomacy is a blast with known and hidden agendas. The AI on King looks okay and adequately agressive, especially compared to the broken Civ 5 AI we got at launch.

Looks like a near perfect launch for a new civ game. I already can't see me going back to Civ5.

Only thing I like a bit less are map graphics (too cartoony for my taste), including the new fog of war. But it's not that important. Leader screens are absolutely beautiful and well animated though.

I can see me playing another 500+ hours of civ on that game. One more turn syndrome strikes again... ^^

Played 30 turns last night. Yes, my muscle-memory needs re-tooling--and I certainly missed the "Restart" button after my initial start had me on a narrow river between large swarthes of desert and tundra.

But I'm absolutely loving it :)

I'm 370+ turns in, and have yet to find another civ. Huge Map, 12 opponents, low sea level. I found 3 City-states, 1 who had already met somebody else, and 2 civs have been defeated... but no house warming gifts for me.

I am playing as Russia, kinda got stuck in a corner... tundra south and east, desert north, ocean west and above the desert to the north. St. Pete's is on the only tiny little patch of green anywhere near me.

Played 30 turns last night. Yes, my muscle-memory needs re-tooling--and I certainly missed the "Restart" button after my initial start had me on a narrow river between large swarthes of desert and tundra.

Ha ha, yes just like this.

Not complaining. Just observing.

I goofed on my first harbor city, didn't realize the aquaduct has to be adjacent to the water source. So my ship building city, stuck between desert and tundra, is never going to be that big.

Luckily, with Russia's faith boost, I bought that great engineer that boosts the no. of districts allowed in that city.

Also built the GLighthouse there. She's a beauty.

Oracle is buildable, if anyone was wondering after seeing that one Russia stream with the bug.

edit: Forgot to say, ha ha, I am loving the game.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I just do not like the direction the Civilization universe is taking. The interface is generally ok, but the new fog of war is terrible. Units themselves are Giants!!! I bought it and now I'm beginning to regret it. I'll keep at it and maybe things will change.

Moderator Action: Merged your thread will existing thread of the same topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only played about half an era last night, as America. The barbs are fierce and all the camps around me are the mounted unit type, which is a real bear. I discovered my two neighbors are Scythia and Sumeria. Tomyris doesn't like me already, so I am buddying up to Gil. Unfortunately, the best city spots I have found are located between me and Scythia, so I will have to grow that direction with inevitable conflict.

Even though I have been paying keen attention during the whole release process, I have still been confronted with interesting choices. Particularly with regards to explore vs internal develop vs build military and also my tech/civic choices. It feels good to not be playing by rote memory like I had been with Civ V.

5. Boosting and Inspirations seems to be overpowered.

I kinda think this, kinda don't. I'm on marathon, and some of the techs/civs are taking 40ish turns. Obviously the boosts cut that down. I'm fearful the boosts will cut down the speed of marathon too much... but, conversely, its nice to get them. Maybe nerf them a little?

Do you need a certain tech so that your builders can repair pillaged or damaged stuff?? My Legions can... :confused:

My computer is at the marginal end of the spec range, but it seems to be running well, albeit with some sacrifice in graphical quality.

Top Bottom