1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Installing Mods on Civ5 for Mac

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Macintosh' started by AlanH, Oct 11, 2012.

1. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

I don't have the Campaign edition installed now, so I can't check it. But my first post says the Mods folder is in ~/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.civ5campaign/Data/Library/Application Support/Civilization V Campaign Edition/MODS Have you looked there?

~/Library/ is a hidden folder in your Home folder. Use the Go/Go to folder ... menu item in the Finder and copy/paste the above path into it.

[UPDATE]
    I found I do have the campaign edition installed, and it does all still work as I described in the first post.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  2. wilko2607

wilko2607 Chieftain

You absolute genius, changing the permissions on the previous file allowed me to edit the main menu file, and the Go/Go function allowed me to find the mods folder, it's all worked and the mods menu has appeared on the main menu with the three mods I downloaded and installed all sitting in there waiting for me, can't wait to try them out. Thanks for the help man, you're a true gent!

3. beetle

beetle Chieftain

@AlanH is very generous with his time and talents. @wilko2607, FWIW, I wish I had held out for the Apple Store version. It is nice to save money, but I have found Steam even more annoying than I thought it would be.

4. beetle

beetle Chieftain

I know the SDK is not available for OS X, but should it be possible to create a very simple mod just using a text editor?

All I want to do is force various AI to use the same flavors/bias as Shaka. Which I could do by manually copy/paste of the various leader XML files. But I would like share the end results so others could try it out, and I cannot very well expect people to backup and copy 42 files.

From what I have read, the “virtual file system” makes me think that what I would like to do is pretty easy, but I am hoping to avoid having to run Windows just for this little experiment.

5. civ5noobbbbb

civ5noobbbbb Chieftain

Hi,

Thank you for your post:)

I got a problem when doing step 3. After adding the two hyphens clicking save, an error occurred saying "the authenticated save for this file failed, error code 20004". I was using TextWrangler from App Store. My Civ5 was also downloaded from App Store.

Any help would be appreciated

6. AlanH

Googled that error and the second result that came up was:

https://slickmedia.co.uk/blog/glenns-blog/the-authenticated-save-for-this-file-failed-textwrangler/

Basically, the App Store version of Text Wrangler doesn't write to protected files. You need to download Text Wrangler directly from the BareBones web site.

7. AlanH

You should be able to create a text-only mod, but you need to create a folder containing the modified versions of your changed files. You also need to include a xxxx.modinfo file - actually an xml file - that lists them, gives them unique identifiers, and tells Civ5 to add them to its database. Put the folder in the right place, and enable it using the Mods menu. Kael's modding guide is the main bible explaining all this. It's quite old and probably not up to date for the clever stuff. But for a simple mod to the .xml files, you can probably just adapt a copy of a xxxx.modinfo file from an existing working mod. There's also a modding Wiki that may help.

8. beetle

beetle Chieftain

Thank you @AlanH, that is pretty encouraging!

9. civ5noobbbbb

civ5noobbbbb Chieftain

Thank you for your help.

I can now extract rar files with Keka, but it seems that when I try to extract civ5map files with Keka, a warning always pops up saying extraction failed (Error code 2 using "p7zip"). What should I do?

Thank you so much:)

10. AlanH

As far as I know, .civ5map files are not compressed. You should be able to put them straight into the Maps folder.

Do you have an example of one you are trying to use?

11. civ5noobbbbb

civ5noobbbbb Chieftain

Thank you!

How can I find the Maps folder? Sorry Im not quite savvy in mac...

12. civ5noobbbbb

civ5noobbbbb Chieftain

Never mind.

I have just found the Maps folder and put the civ5map in it. Everything works fine so far!

Again, thank you so much:)