Instant buy

Naokaukodem

Millenary King
We can instant buy things in Civ5, but why can't we complete things anymore like in Civ...2 ???

I think gold completion was making gold more usable, because in the state, in Civ5 things are horribly expansive and dissuade people eternally after a quick check.

To be honest, Civ5 is the Civ game I instant buy things the most, because gold is separated from science, and I play on Warlord, and with my playstyle (if there are too few rivers i reroll) settling exclusively or the more I can on rivers, I rarely am in need of gold. And, I like to instant buy settlers (rarely find a good construction window for them, unless I go No Wonder) or courthouses or factories or whatever I need to complete a National Wonder.

But it may be also because we can only instant buy ! No, I remember that in Civ4 I was NEVER instant buying things (there was the concurrence of slaving, the science/gold slider that made science concurrential also, not to mention things built a lot faster !)

However, in Civ... 2? (and/or 3?) I always considered to complete, wonders included. That was nice. (the trick was to buy only when already started, the price was jumping down greatly from a perspective to the other)

Do you guys have any information about why it have been abandonned ?

Seeing as how much gold you can get in Civ 5, it's probably not there because ti would unbalance, not to mention AI would literally take up ALL of the wonders instantly (they have a lot of gold).

Seeing as how much gold you can get in Civ 5, it's probably not there because ti would unbalance

If all parties can do the same, why ?

not to mention AI would literally take up ALL of the wonders instantly (they have a lot of gold).

In my Warlord games Ais are far to be rich. And in more difficult levels they build them before you anyway.

Seeing as how much gold you can get in Civ 5, it's probably not there because ti would unbalance, not to mention AI would literally take up ALL of the wonders instantly (they have a lot of gold).

I rarely see AI civs with huge bank rolls on Immortal+ as long as there's pretty steady warfare. The AI's seem to instant buy units often, leaving them little gold to hold on to. Just my experience.

Haven't seen AI with tons of gold since I stopped playing Emperor.

I dont get why you don't get a reduction in price when your city already are halfway done with a building.

I dont get why you don't get a reduction in price when your city already are halfway done with a building.

QFT. I understand the "not rushing wonders because the Diety AI has ten trillion gold" bit, but if I have ten turns left out of thirty on a Library in a low production city, and I need it done now to build the NC, I don't want to spend 400 gold on it. I want to spend 150 gold to rush its completion. Hell, even Settlers could be blocked, but please let me rush other units and buildings.

Isn't it nice that production also counts? I'm glad for this trade-off, especially regarding strategies for getting wonders.

Cash rushing a wonder was removed way back in the day of Civ III. I think that's one of the better decisions of that version.

I'm not exactly sure why the discount for partially completed items was removed in Civ V. The only related change was that Civ V cash rushing gives you the item instantly instead of filling the hammer bucket, which as a side effect allows multiple items to be cash rushed the same turn. I do note though that in Civ IV, a mid to late game civic was required to cash rush at all.

Civ5 is the Civ game I instant buy things the most, because gold is separated from science,
Actually, a negative treasury can really slow down science. I learned that the hard way on King as Sejong.

Actually, a negative treasury can really slow down science. I learned that the hard way on King as Sejong.

He's basically right. You found the fly in the ointment. His comment makes more sense when you compare Civ V to its predecessors, where gold income and research income were tightly linked with a slider.

In my Warlord games Ais are far to be rich. And in more difficult levels they build them before you anyway.

Yeah, that's important. On Emperor+ they start to get easy cash you will what to get them away with trades.

At first I also missed the "complete with gold" feature other civs had, but I think this way is better. You want something, pay for it, and pay a lot. Simple.

I'd prefer they got rid of insta-buy completely and replaced it with some way to feed gold into production in a slower, steadier manner.

I'd prefer they got rid of insta-buy completely and replaced it with some way to feed gold into production in a slower, steadier manner.

Are trade routes in BNW going to allow shipping of hammers?

Whenever I set up a new overseas city, and rush half the important buildings, I'm imagining a fleet of container ships with pre-fab library, workshop, aqueduct, etc. parts.

Are trade routes in BNW going to allow shipping of hammers?

Whenever I set up a new overseas city, and rush half the important buildings, I'm imagining a fleet of container ships with pre-fab library, workshop, aqueduct, etc. parts.

Not much is known at this time, but an internal route does indeed cause the target city to get either food or hammers. It's not known if the hammers are shipped or if they are "for free". There's some limit on trade routes though and so internal routes may compete with external routes which provide cash.

and I play on Warlord

I'm sorry but playing on Warlord, and adding insult to injury rerolling if you didn't start near enough rivers, is simply sad. Not only is it sad but it suggests that you simply can't handle the game as it is, cause if you could than you would have played at a higher difficulty and not reroll if you don't get a near perfect starting location. Also, with such credentials, I fail to see how your input is relevant or accurate, since you're already playing on super easy mode where the AI literally has nothing to stand up against you.

Try playing on Emperor, Immortal or Deity, than see for yourself how rich/poor the AI is, how proficient it is with its gold and how many wonders the AI gets. Making any conclusions based on Warlord difficulty, and even worst rerolling to get enough rivers, aka a near godlike starting position, simply can't provide you with any relevant observations since your gaming environment is so far away from what the rest of us are playing in.

Not much is known at this time, but an internal route does indeed cause the target city to get either food or hammers. It's not known if the hammers are shipped or if they are "for free". There's some limit on trade routes though and so internal routes may compete with external routes which provide cash.

I think that in one of the early interviews with Ed, he said it was straight-up created, but this may either simply be wrong, or have since changed, so take this with a grain of salt.

I'm sorry but playing on Warlord, and adding insult to injury rerolling if you didn't start near enough rivers, is simply sad. Not only is it sad but it suggests that you simply can't handle the game as it is, cause if you could than you would have played at a higher difficulty and not reroll if you don't get a near perfect starting location. Also, with such credentials, I fail to see how your input is relevant or accurate, since you're already playing on super easy mode where the AI literally has nothing to stand up against you.

Try playing on Emperor, Immortal or Deity, than see for yourself how rich/poor the AI is, how proficient it is with its gold and how many wonders the AI gets. Making any conclusions based on Warlord difficulty, and even worst rerolling to get enough rivers, aka a near godlike starting position, simply can't provide you with any relevant observations since your gaming environment is so far away from what the rest of us are playing in.

Kind of funny piece of junk here really. Warlord is an existing difficulty level of Civ5, and I can use it all I want. I'm in. I can make as many comments as I want, based on the game at this difficulty level, even if it unpleases you.

Now, I said I played on Warlord for a purpose of truth precisely, because for what I know in Deity AIs could even well have no money, I don't know. Precisely it, I don't know. So I precise I play on Warlord. Like that, every one sould be happy, and you are the only one who came up with such a rant.

And as far as I know, Emperor, Immortal and Deity could be considered as well not the true game. The true game should be Prince, Warlord is near it, King should be its equivalent in higher. Emperor is more distant from King than Warlord. And in Deity, features like wonders vanish, as they are taken all by AIs... the player can't even compete to them, so it's another rough avantage to AIs, the player never see their color. The game in Deity (and Immortal and Emperor to some extent) is not the true game. So I could say your opinion has absolutely no value as well...

Kind of funny piece of junk here really. Warlord is an existing difficulty level of Civ5, and I can use it all I want. I'm in. I can make as many comments as I want, based on the game at this difficulty level, even if it unpleases you.

Now, I said I played on Warlord for a purpose of truth precisely, because for what I know in Deity AIs could even well have no money, I don't know. Precisely it, I don't know. So I precise I play on Warlord. Like that, every one sould be happy, and you are the only one who came up with such a rant.

And as far as I know, Emperor, Immortal and Deity could be considered as well not the true game. The true game should be Prince, Warlord is near it, King should be its equivalent in higher. Emperor is more distant from King than Warlord. And in Deity, features like wonders vanish, as they are taken all by AIs... the player can't even compete to them, so it's another rough avantage to AIs, the player never see their color. The game in Deity (and Immortal and Emperor to some extent) is not the true game. So I could say your opinion has absolutely no value as well...

It's not a rant, I'm not telling you to stop playing Warlord, what I'm saying is that since you're playing Warlord your opinion simply doesn't matter since the rest of us play on much higher difficulties, it's almost as if we're playing 2 completely different games. Since most of the forum posters here, especially the veterans, play on Emperor, Immortal or Deity, going so far down to Warlord doesn't provide any relevant input. Be offended by it or not, that's your choice entirely, but my intention is not to offend you but just bring you some perspective.

The idea of the 'normal' difficulty is actually a funny concept. There was a psychology study done where they polled men on how much insert sexual reference here was 'too much'. Nearly everybody said that 'too much' constituted slightly more than how much they insert sexual reference each day. So I guess the idea of a 'normal' difficulty would be when one can play at the same level equally with the computer. That would be entirely dependent on the person and it could be Warlord for one and Deity for another.

Top Bottom