Interesting Screenshots

farmland looks a lot cooler than the standard irrigation.

a new look to the mining also would be nice.

I give up :cry:

Attachments

• civ2.jpg
    civ2.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 522
Well, the GOOD news is that you've almost got replaceable parts. :lol: Even with mass on their side, riflemen aren't going to do well attacking a 6.10.1 unit. Any chance that the teal-colored civ (Spain? America?) might distract the Aztecs?

Umm I think he is the teal-colored Civ - it's an alternate for Scandinavia though I don't see any other Civ out there with their primary (dark blue) palette.

Well, the GOOD news is that you've almost got replaceable parts. :lol: Even with mass on their side, riflemen aren't going to do well attacking a 6.10.1 unit.

He's a bit low on gold and still has Muskets, I doubt he'll be able to build many Infantry by the time they reach him.

Umm I think he is the teal-colored Civ - it's an alternate for Scandinavia though I don't see any other Civ out there with their primary (dark blue) palette.

No, he's the Pink/Light Purple. You can see the "stack" icons in the city just above the minimap. Plus, if he were the Teal, he'd have LoS on the Diamond Mountain next to the volcano.

Smellincoffee said:
Well, the GOOD news is that you've almost got replaceable parts. Even with mass on their side, riflemen aren't going to do well attacking a 6.10.1 unit. Any chance that the teal-colored civ (Spain? America?) might distract the Aztecs?
I thought about suggesting that, but two things:
1) He doesn't have much cash for rush-building and Upgrading Muskets -> Infantry.
2) Given that there's a Teal stack on his Aztec border already, it's likely he's at war with them already, what with the destroyed city and all.

I did also want to post this game as an example of ring continents, that I quite like.

Well, the GOOD news is that you've almost got replaceable parts. :lol: Even with mass on their side, riflemen aren't going to do well attacking a 6.10.1 unit. Any chance that the teal-colored civ (Spain? America?) might distract the Aztecs?

Now time to quell some confusion:
Teal is America, they are at war with me as well, blue to the south is Maya I have sent them to war with America and the Aztec.

If anyone would like to try and get me out of this mess I would be more than happy to upload the save game, on the proviso that you send it back once it's safe for a novice like me.

I did also want to post this game as an example of ring continents, that I quite like.

Now time to quell some confusion:
Teal is America, they are at war with me as well, blue to the south is Maya I have sent them to war with America and the Aztec.

If anyone would like to try and get me out of this mess I would be more than happy to upload the save game, on the proviso that you send it back once it's safe for a novice like me.

A look at the save would be interesting.

id try and get the americans to change their war towards the aztecs

if that doesnt work, try to ally with the aztecs, make a 20 turn trade if you can

what is your best defensive unit? most of their units only have a 4 attack

Well here is the save, it took a while because of... well I wouldn't find it, have a look

Attachments

• Ragnar Lodbrok of the Vikings, 970 AD.SAV
    304.4 KB · Views: 48
Yeah, you're in a bit of a jam. If you can't get help from America or any other civ, your best bet is probably as follows:

1. try to defend that size 11 city you've got there. If the Aztecs attack it, you've lost the city. Try to starve down the populace some first, conscription if you have nationalism. But, if they don't attack, it shows they're going for a "war of attrition" and you've got your work cut out for you.

2. If the Aztecs attack and capture it...
Abandon the cities immediately south, pillaging as many railroads and roads as possible. You need to slow the advance as much as possible to give your units a fighting chance. Rush defensive units and artillery, for preferably defensive countermeasures. The artillery will wear down the stack, and with no city to heal in, they will be forced to either fortify where they are, (which leaves them vulnerable), or retreat.

3. If the Aztecs work on pillaging...
No need to pillage or abandon your own cities, they can't use the railroads against you. Start rushing defensive units and artillery (offensive units if you have one that has an attack of 5, 4 is pushing it). Use the artillery, wear down their stack. Defensive units need to be posted on important avenues of transportation, or resources. Use offensive units to finish off retreating enemy riflemen (they won't fortify in your territory).

Also, move non-essential defensive units from your core cities to the front line, perhaps even leaving a few undefended. Your railroads will allow a fast response if anyone lands on your shores.

That's about it. If the Aztecs concentrate their firepower and use their fast units (knights) effectively, you're screwed. But, the AI has continuously shown this to be not true, they are always very inefficient. I've faced far worse invasion than this, and survived. Some of the most epic battles ever fought occurred under my command. :)

Good luck, soldier!

If you have 8 fully healthy armies, you could surround the entire stack, and they aren't likely to attack the armies.

The AI will try to attack armies if they can't otherwise avoid doing so in order fulfill some objective. Most of the time, it's attacking some city the army is defending that the AI really wants.

The AI will try to attack armies if they can't otherwise avoid doing so in order fulfill some objective. Most of the time, it's attacking some city the army is defending that the AI really wants.

I have seen the AI attack armies in cities, yes. However, they won't always do so in the open field, even if nowhere else to run. For an example of this, see the 1000 AD here, specifically near the cities of Avignon and 048 in one location, and in another location near the cities of Sabratha, Rusicade, and Bill Trap 5.

This is really an interesting topic, but an admin should move it into its own thread now... ;)

Haven't looked at the game yet, so I can't say atm if they will work in the given situation, but here are two tricks that might help to buy you time to get your defenses ready:
  • Empty one of your cities which is close to the monster stack, but just out of reach. The stack will move towards that city. Next turn move all defenders back into the city and leave a different city undefended: the stack will turn arround and go for that other undefended city... Rinse and repeat and the AI will keep going in circles for quite a while... :crazyeye:
  • Don't disband or defend that size-11 town. Try to gift it to an AI that is at peace with the Aztecs but does not have a RoP with them: the monster stack will need to loose time to get out of their territory and back into yours...

But in any case, not sure whether the game can be saved, even if you gain enough time to build a sufficient number of infantry: from the minimap it looks like your production base is way too small compared to the Aztecs?! And your ally, the Mayans, will only figth the Americans, but not be of any help against the Aztecs.

Top Bottom