1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Interesting Screenshots

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by kill fire, Nov 10, 2006.

1. vmxa

vmxa Deity

They will attack armies in the open, if it is damaged or weak defenders (swords and MDI). They will rarely stumble into an army, if you have the nopatrol enabled. I have only seen that twice in countless armies in the field (in some games I have had more than 100 armies).

I have not seen them ever attack a knight armies that was not low yellow or red, in the field. In towns, they have attacked even MI armies. Towns are different set of circumstances.

2. vmxa

vmxa Deity

Omni314

Lets take a look at this save and see what is going on right now. First I hit F6 and wonder why are you researching Combustion, prior to RP. I wonder why it was not done ahead of many techs you have learned.

You are in 10th centry AD and have only a small portion of the land. What is the plan to win this game? How do you go about implementing the plan?

For the recod I would have gone Steam and then Electricity and then RP. Then I could decide, if ToE is the priority or can I wait on that or will just forget it. With rails and Infantry it will be impossible for a regent level game to take me out.

Transports are way down my list of things I need in this game as it will be some time, before you could invade. You have a fair amount of land on this continent to aquire first.

My next question is what techs did you take with the ToE? Do you know that Eclectronic and AT are quite expensive and are usually the techs to take in a normal game?

You only have 15 towns, two I would ignore and wonder why you have them. Either way, that is way to few for 970AD. It is about right for 100AD - 150AD. I would use that as my yard stick to see how I am doing.

Why did we skip MT? This is one of the important techs, unless you are planning to turtle and try for a diplo win. Was it just due to lack of horses? I ignore Space as from this position, it is unlikey to be an option. I see many of your towns were
    captured.

The start is not wonderful as it has no water or food bonus near the start. So what was done with the land. Well I have a few concerns. Too many tiles are dead in the very core, near the start. This will hurt your expansion. It is killing you right now.

You are in a position where you could get eliminated in short order and have no means to win the game or a battle. Yet what actions are being taken? Well we have a number of places on wealth. Some making happy structures. Others making gold boosting structures.

How will these things help you win or survive? Two of the things that are critical to doing well in C3C. One expand and two improve the land. This means settlers and workers are king.

When you are getting close to going to the IA and should then be going for Steam, you should make sure you have enough workers to get rails up. For certain 12 workers is not enough to have gotten the land in the shape it should be nor to get rails up timely.

So you seem to be in a fairly poor position, what can be done from here?

Rome trade Steam for Horse, PP and some gold.
    Maya trade Medicine for MT, Dem, WM and 9 gold.
    USA trade Medicine for Free, WM and 150 gold.
    Rome trade Free, Medicine iirc) and Industrial for Nationalism
    Aztec trade Medicine and Refine for Silks, WM, 11gpt and 80 gold.

It was done in that order to be sure to get to the point where Montie only had RP to offer. Now you are in a position to get some Cavs and Infantry to defend and fight. You will need to pop out some settlers to fill the spaces.

Make some workers to get the land up to snuff. Use some of the builds going to get a few cav/inf. Get started on some artillery. Use the gold to speed a few things and buy some time. Get a wall in that size 2 town on the border. Move units fromsafe towns to the borders.

3. Bowsling

Bowsling Deity

I think this belongs in a new thread.

4. Spoonwood

Spoonwood Grand Philosopher

I haven't edited the game, or put things on accelerated production here:

5. Princeof Persia

Princeof Persia The Empire wasn't bad

Maybe they got Immortal really quickly?

6. Optional

Optional Deity

Or perhaps the opposite was the case; Persia missed iron, saw their neighbour had it, and decided to come and get it, using warriors, spears and archers.

How many turns into the game is 1950BC? I doubt they could have had many Immortals anyway.

7. Verarde

Verarde Pondering Wearing A Hat

I would think one of three things:
    1) Optional is correct, and either Portugal had a really bad start position, which allowed Persia to overwhelm them quickly, which can happen in the early going.
    2) Spoonwood is just showing off how fast he can get 5 cities set up, and have 3 more on the way. :p Quite impressive. I wish I had the skills to do so.
    3) 1 and 2 are correct.

8. Optional

Optional Deity

And why can not both of those two things be correct? :lol: :lol:

9. Verarde

See what I did there?

10. Spoonwood

No, I wasn't thinking about how fast I could get cities up, but thank you for the compliment! The screenshot wouldn't have come as quite so impressive had say Germany destroyed Portugal. Perhaps there existed an early dog-pile here, as Portugal had 5 workers for sale for quite a few turns (I did manage to buy 1). Maybe Portugal's warriors impaled on Persia's free spears, and that played a part in their early demise. Immortals only cost Persia 12 shields at this level, and getting to 4 or 6 shields per turn might not have come as all that hard for them, especially if they had their GA early enough. That said, I think other units played a greater role than Immortals in that war, but that's just a guess.

11. Princeof Persia

Here's one for you: This is a perfectly normal, regularly generated game, with no mods, changes, or other of that sort.

12. dominatr

dominatr Smoke Jaguar

if the interesting part is America and Maya being the same color, that happens often with large maps! :)

13. dominatr

dominatr Smoke Jaguar

look at all these cows!!! Randomly generated too! This is gonna be a huge empire!

edit: but wait! theres more!

believe it or not, after i build that city, i find that theres wheat right outside the borders so when the temple is built theyll have 3 cows and one wheat. How cool is that!

14. Verarde

Urm, not fair? I've been reloading for the past hour to try and get a good start position for a story I plan on doing! I keep ending up on bad spots.

15. ChaosArbiter

ChaosArbiter King

Three Cows, one Wheat, one Whale, and what do you want to bet there's Rubber or Uranium in one of those Forests? Seriously, the only way that start is fair is if you have no Resources, because you've got just about everything else :eek:

16. dominatr

dominatr Smoke Jaguar

17. eldar

eldar ChiefTank

Can I haz ur RNG?

18. Spoonwood

I didn't realize the AIs would even build these. Has anyone else seen these before?

This also made me think. I have had trouble spotting Persian cities, not wanting my cavalry to get attacked. Explorers can help you find where cities lie before you can trade for maps. Not all that useful, and probably not worth the cost, but still.

19. Princeof Persia

20. uat2d

uat2d ಠ_ಠ

dominatr, where are your defensive units?