Interface Help

CorvusFortis

Prince
I made one of the worst decisions in my life by trying to mess with interface graphics with minimal knowledge of graphics editing.

Things went well at first, since I discowered WildWeasel's advisors templates. So I have F1-F11 screens ready, civilopedia also shouldn't be much of a problem.

But after that I will face real monstrocities: world building and civ chooser screens. And most dreaded of them all - city screen.

They have so much overlay and details and I don't even know where to start.

It someone has more interface tempate or can expain me some easy interface editing technincs, I would really appreciate it. I use GIMP.

They're not actually that bad. They're pretty simple pcx files that are just layered on top of one another.

Really depends on what you want to do - the hardest part is making the art itself. Start by editing the base layer.

As for templates... there are some good basic interfaces that people have made that are easy to add-on to. Eg. Balthasar's WW2 interface is great, as is Georgestow's white interface.

@Meteor Man , thank you for the answer, it really motivated me to try, and yes, it ended up not half as bad as I thought it would. Result is, of course, far from a piece of art, but I am more or less content. It is not generic interface, which would ruin the whole "atmosphere" and it is enough for me.

The only thing left to figure out is how to replicate these shadows for frame borders:

1663244745006.png

I tried to play with shadow filter but to no avail.

I would really appretiate help with this one, thanks!

if you're using Gimp, create an image with a transparent background, use the gradient tool, type in "FG to Transparent", then drag the tool across your selection box in the direction you want to gradient to fade. Just change the opacity to make it semi-transparent to transparent.

1663259206258.png

1663259221033.png

CorvusFortis... Keep in mind that the original Game Screens are Not exact if you try to use them as templates. I perfected them to the pixel for Escape From Zombie Island 2 Elite. You can use them as templates for the various graphics placements.

Thanks for help, everyone!

I think, I get it now more or less. Let's see how it goes.

@Vuldacon, yes, EFZI interface is great, wonder splash is my favorite. I'll look into it, but my goals are not very ambitious for now. I simply use two layers of different textures - one for border and one for inner content. But I may come to more ideas later, who knows.

CorvusFortis... You might want to look at the Interface for AOI. I made a Wide Screen that was wanted for the Wondersplashes.
In the Hegemon Game, I am Very Happy with the Game Control Buttons... they are are my Favorite Buttons. EFZI2 Elite has intentional Game Control Buttons that do not distract from the Game.

There are almost infinite things that can be done with the Interface... Once you start doing Graphics Work and Modding, you will be Hooked for Life :)

Top Bottom