Into the Desert feedback

Playing Malakim, I used my priest to build a temple and found the empyrean. Now that I've discovered honor, I get a pop up at the start of every turn asking which religion I want to found, Order or OO. I click on one but it does nothing (I'd assume because they're disallowed in the scenario?) and the next turn, the same thing happens.

I've only played as the Calabim. When you send a nightwatch near one of Kain's cities that he throws all his city's soldiers to their death leaving that city vulnerable to barbarian attacks. Is this deliberate?

I chose to play Malakim and I got Calabim.
Clearly the previous event just writes them backwards. It'll be fixed, thanks.
Playing Malakim, I used my priest to build a temple and found the empyrean. Now that I've discovered honor, I get a pop up at the start of every turn asking which religion I want to found, Order or OO. I click on one but it does nothing (I'd assume because they're disallowed in the scenario?) and the next turn, the same thing happens.
This happens when you found a religion through a unit before someone has the researched it. Maybe a bigger fix would be good, but in the meantime it is balanced around not getting the religion that way, but we seemed to have left in that Vicar.

I've only played as the Calabim. When you send a nightwatch near one of Kain's cities that he throws all his city's soldiers to their death leaving that city vulnerable to barbarian attacks. Is this deliberate?
Hidden Nationality seems to attract undo attention from the ai. It's not especially intended for this scenario, but keep it in mind.

I was afraid that someone would research all the other religion and case a game ending bug, so I chose The Order. Since this religion is disabled, it could not be founded, and I had to choose it again every turn.

I really do think we need a larger fix for this. I think Kael already dealt with it (and the potential CtD it can cause when it tried to found an 8th religion) for religions founded by disciples spreading religions, but didn't remember that when he allowed spells to found religions too.

In the mean time, I'm thinking it may be a good idea to make all the Found Temple spells require the techs that founds their respective religions. The scenario should probably specifically tell you to research Honor too.

I accidentally chose Malakim in the previous scenario but wanted to chose Calabim, and since I got Calabim I was satisfied. :p

Anyways, first mission was to raze the barbarian city of "Dirge". I couldn't find it, but I did find a city belong to Varn Gosam named "Dirage". First I thought there might be two similar sounding cities, but I later declared war on Varn and razed the city, it was the one. So fix the spelling error from "Dirge" to "Dirage".

Then I had 75 turns to weaken the Malakim and since I was at war already I didn't need to use Hidden Nationality units as Flauros suggested, so I continued to raze all of Varn's cities, eventually killing him off entirely. I figured I would try to get some Hidden nationality units and "weaken" my friend Kane a bit. Well, once I reached Guilds (none of my assassins got CoE religion so couldn't turn HN) I had like 5 turns left to weaken Malakim.
But once all 75 turns had elapsed I won immediately. Even though I had gotten a new mission to raze all Empyrean cities, and there were plenty of empyrean cities left in the world. Non that belonged to the Varn Gosian Malakim, but Kane had plenty and was following the religion.

Anyways, first mission was to raze the barbarian city of "Dirge". I couldn't find it, but I did find a city belong to Varn Gosam named "Dirage". First I thought there might be two similar sounding cities, but I later declared war on Varn and razed the city, it was the one. So fix the spelling error from "Dirge" to "Dirage".
Boo. I guess that means the Barbarians deleted their hill giants there. It's so hard to have the ai controlled players NOT delete their units.:mad: (That's why Muirin is a world unit, actually.) Oh, maybe if there are some units there with city_defender ai... heh...

But once all 75 turns had elapsed I won immediately. Even though I had gotten a new mission to raze all Empyrean cities, and there were plenty of empyrean cities left in the world. Non that belonged to the Varn Gosian Malakim, but Kane had plenty and was following the religion.
Okay, thanks. I'd prefer it if you didn't win until all Empyrean cities were gone. But at least you got to finish it alright.

In the mean time, I'm thinking it may be a good idea to make all the Found Temple spells require the techs that founds their respective religions. The scenario should probably specifically tell you to research Honor too.
Yes on the first, that would be a better fix than removing him. As to telling the player to research Honor... I guess so, since it is an early scenario and it is possible players don't know techs found religions.

Trading with Kane for his world map makes the game crash.

Attachments

• AutoSave_AD-0039.CivBeyondSwordSave
    92.6 KB · Views: 90
Wouldn't the nest way to solve the choose religion problem, be finding Varn/razing Dirge give you the founding tech?

I've been getting the Kane map CtD as well, as well as map trading with Ethne (don't know about Faeryl/Arturus).

This is my favourite sceanario so far, I really like Deius, as well as the focus on character's personalities, which I wish was more noticable in other storylines.

Finished! Nothing worse than the Kane map trade bug.

The scenario was a lot of fun, though the religious victory condition was hard. I wish the map had some gunpowder though. I didn't see any, though it might have been off in a corner somewhere. Gunpowder and the Malakim go well together, and Teutorix is one of my favorite heroes (Actually, when I got Blasting Powder, I was able to build the Shrine of the Champion. I don't know why. I don't think Kane had already built Teutorix, because I don't think he had gunpowder either.)

The Calabim devoted most of their resources to building a single stack of about 60 (!) ritualists. It wasn't a very efficient use of their time.

If you add to this scenario, make a bigger deal out of the Overcouncil. We never really got to hear what went on during the Council meeting or what its significance was.

Thanks for a great scenario.

I beat the scenario, as the Malakim (going back to try it with the Calabim next I think) but it isn't unlocking "Wages of Sin" Is this supposed to happen? I mean, Wages of sin doesn't sound like something that would happen after helign the supposedly good Malakim, but if it isn't supposed to lead there, does the campaign arc just end at Into the Desert?

I beat the scenario, as the Malakim (going back to try it with the Calabim next I think) but it isn't unlocking "Wages of Sin" Is this supposed to happen? I mean, Wages of sin doesn't sound like something that would happen after helign the supposedly good Malakim, but if it isn't supposed to lead there, does the campaign arc just end at Into the Desert?

It would unlock Wages of Sin, however it is not actually in the game yet.

Hopefully it will be in a patch soon...

For some reason this scenario keeps crashing for me, I can't seem to load it up any one else? Do I need to do anything different for this one versus what's been working for other scenarios?

IMO you should not be able to declare war against the Malakim during the sneaky 75 turns to weaken the Malakim. It just doesnt feel right by outright killing them when you are supposed to be using hidden nationality units. As to winning after Varn is killed instead of all Empy cities, it kinda makes sense b/c I captured timberling actually. So I have an Empy city currently tho im supposed to raze em all . . . and my Esus relig cant get priests so no inquisitions . . . meh. theres always leave it undefended for the barbs, if the all empy cities is actually implemented now.

Also, since Flauros mentioned not using more vamps on the battlefield, I dont think mor vamps should be buildable till after the HN "weakening" turns. Im not actually sure if that is the case or not though, because I didnt research feudalism till afterwards anyways . . . but I dont think it should be allowed.

I guess my main thing is I dont think Calabim should be able to declare war (at least against malakim civs) until Decius "convinces" Flauros to allow direct conflict.

Ah, well as it turns out this goal does not include empy cities under Calabim rule. Good to know.

Top Bottom