New Player Survey

We do? You're an Aussie, basically poison and dangerousness is in your blood.
That's what you get growing up riding kangaroos up the street dodging hoop snakes and drop bears, punching sharks in the face, and having huge huntsman spiders as pets.

That's what you get growing up riding kangaroos up the street dodging hoop snakes and drop bears, punching sharks in the face, and having huge huntsman spiders as pets.
Mum's eating Tim Tams RN.
(She gets them for X'mas).

I did live and work in Australia for like 3 yrs. (I started playing Civ V at the end of my contract so that's like 10 yrs ago?)
People thought I was Aboriginal.
I am a person of indigenous origin...just not Australian.

Speaking of which, there was only 1 checkbox on the New Player Survey about playing "your culture" and that was as far as anything re: cultural diversity.

Here is where HUMANKIND has a leg up on Civilization.

B'cos they don't have leaders (only avatars) they do not run into problems with indigenous peoples (a la Poundmaker and The Cree - remember that fiasco?).
A very lucky design choice made there by Amplitude. As a result they do have a ton more indigenous cultures than Civilization.

Mum's eating Tim Tams RN.
(She gets them for X'mas).

I did live and work in Australia for like 3 yrs. (I started playing Civ V at the end of my contract so that's like 10 yrs ago?)
People thought I was Aboriginal.
I am a person of indigenous origin...just not Australian.

Speaking of which, there was only 1 checkbox on the New Player Survey about playing "your culture" and that was as far as anything re: cultural diversity.

Here is where HUMANKIND has a leg up on Civilization.

B'cos they don't have leaders (only avatars) they do not run into problems with indigenous peoples (a la Poundmaker and The Cree - remember that fiasco?).
A very lucky design choice made there by Amplitude. As a result they do have a ton more indigenous cultures than Civilization.
Just my opinion, but I felt the avatars and changing culture for each era was the worst of HK's ideas. It completely eliminated any association or attachment to your civ through the game. It reduced this very important story telling element (the leader and culture) from the very central point of the game (lead your culture through history) to a frivolous throwaway every few turns.

Just my opinion, but I felt the avatars and changing culture for each era was the worst of HK's ideas.
Regardless, as a result Amplitude introduced Indigenous Australians/Aboriginals as part of their latest Oceania DLC for HUMANKIND.

The best/closest Civilization has come is John Curtin. 😐
To be fair though, I think 2K+Firaxis would have angered Aboriginal elders by portraying one of their leaders.

Regardless, as a result Amplitude introduced Indigenous Australians/Aboriginals as part of their latest Oceania DLC for HUMANKIND.

The best/closest Civilization has come is John Curtin. 😐
To be fair though, I think 2K+Firaxis would have angered Aboriginal elders by portraying one of their leaders.
Sadly it's a pretty ordinary depiction. They named it after a language group, not a cultural group. Recognising the fish traps is pretty cool, but they put hunting boomerangs, not weapon boomerangs, on the unit.

I sort of got "half-assed research" vibes. When they announced it I pointed this out to them, and got told they wouldn't be changing it. They should have used one of the main identifiers as the culture name, not a language group.

EG: Murri, Goori, Koori, Palawa, Nunga, Yolngu, Anangu, or Noongar (the main names representing different indigenous Australian groups).

Anyways, I had plenty of other issues with HK and never bought any of the DLC.

I sort of got "half-assed research" vibes. When they announced it I pointed this out to them, and got told they wouldn't be changing it.
Amplitude have a PhD historian just like Firaxis @Andrew Johnson [FXS] (soz to @ you).
My (little) understanding of management is to defer particular expertise to experts.

Anyway can we talk about nuclear Gandhi? Still in Civilization after how many decades? Does that joke not get old? 😐
Also there are zombies.
And vampires.

It's a game. There needs to be balance between historical accuracy vs. being fun to play.

IMO Amplitude have engineered a superior product to Civ VI in HUMANKIND
BUT it is a more boring game. It's almost too historical, too serious.

It's missing Firaxis pixie dust/magic.

But I do hope from the New Player Survey 2K+Firaxis feel encouraged to represent more cultures for Civ VII.

@blackbutterfly from this thread alone, it's obvious we differ in opinion, on a great many things. :)

BUT it is a more boring game
That it's a more boring game is a large part of why I don't think Humankind is a superior product to Civ VI.

They have more cultures than Civ, but if it isn't fun to play, what's the point? I'm probably not going to play every culture in Civ VI, and other than Civ III I doubt I have in any Civ game, but I'm definitely not going to play every culture in Humankind if it isn't fun enough for me to want to play more games of it.

BUT it is a more boring game. It's almost too historical, too serious.
I have to agree with the statement above. Not sure how something can be considered superior, yet more boring than the other? Seems very contradicting.

I have to agree with the statement above. Not sure how something can be considered superior, yet more boring than the other?

It's orthogonal.

HUMANKIND has fewer bugs and exploits, more stability, more features, better modding tools, better graphics, better UI, etc. than Civ VI.

But yes, even with all that it's a more boring game.

Last edited:
I dont understand why Firaxis announces their games so close to the release.

With two competitors launching in 2024, shouldn't they get the hype going with some small teaser like
"VII. 2024."

I would definateltäy not buy Millenia game if I knew Civ would be out next year, but as it is unsure I might be bored and buy it.

I dont understand why Firaxis announces their games so close to the release.

With two competitors launching in 2024, shouldn't they get the hype going with some small teaser like
"VII. 2024."

I would definateltäy not buy Millenia game if I knew Civ would be out next year, but as it is unsure I might be bored and buy it.

The downside to announcing dates as a developer is that you're expected to follow through. This leads to unfinished games hitting the market.

Top Bottom