1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Introduce Ourselves

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by ZimZum514, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

I'm 27 years old, single. Unlike most of you, I started playing Civ rather late (with Civ5). I have a bachelors and masters degrees in Anthropology. I'm currently jobless. :p From a fairly young age, I was interested in history, geography, and archaeology. I started becoming interested in linguistics at my first university. Civ appeals to me because of the historical flavor. I also enjoy the leaders speaking their languages. I'm more of a peaceful builder, but will attack neighboring Civs if they piss me off.

2. kryat

kryat Chieftain

30 years old, PhD in physics. I played Civ first with 3, but I thought it would be more like AoE 2, and I didn’t understand it at the time. Later, I picked up Vanilla 5, enjoyed it, but didn’t fall in love with the game until G&K. Since then, I’ve infected my wife and her siblings and now we’ve all logged hundreds of hours in 5 and 6. I usually play the benevolent liberator. I’ll only go to war if someone takes city states. I’ve worked my way up to consistently winning on Emperor and can usually pull off an Immortal game without early warfare, and never using overflow.

3. beestar

beestar subdeity

40something mechanical engineer from Canada. First got into the game when I found Civ III in the discount bin in the 2000s. It's a good thing, too - if I had discovered Civ in university I probably wouldn't have graduated.

I find I only play the latest Civ and get good enough to win reliably at Emperor. There are months where I've played a lot (especially thanks to Civfanatics' BOTM and team games back in Civ IV), other times I've deleted it from my hard drive altogether.

I think my favorite remains Civ V because of the beautiful Art Deco aesthetic.

I forgot to add this: all you peaceful builders are a disgrace. Conquest is an honorable and legitimate tool of Civ diplomacy

:D

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
    tedhebert and Kmart_Elvis like this.
  4. Xandinho

Xandinho Warlord

I am 26 years old, Brazilian, single, I am graduated in Management and I am in my specialization in Marketing. I always enjoyed strategy games, I met civilization for suggestions from friends, while I was still in high school (about 10 years ago). I started playing Civilization I and II, but it was playing Civilization IV that I became a real interested in history. I love books, my favorite series is A Song of Ice and Fire :king:. I am a peaceful player. Cultural, religious and commercial civilizations are my favorites, but sometimes I surrender to the hard games of domination.

Guandao likes this.
  5. DanielINH

DanielINH Chieftain

I'm 37 years old brazilian living in Mexico. I play since CIV III but I didn't like CIV IV, played CIV V a lot.
    I work with Call Center Recording Systems and have 2 daughters of 6 and 7.
    I like to play science/culture.

6. leonardomalk

leonardomalk Chieftain

Third Brazilian in a row! I am 39, married, have a 4 year old daughter and am the Marketing Manager for the Brazilian branch of a Japanese tankless gas water heater manufacturer. Add to that the unofficial duties of sales manager and spokesperson for said company, as well as currently being at the helm of the gas water heater manufacturer's association.
    I got hooked by the first Civ somewhere around 1994. At that time strategy games (and computers) availability around here was difficult, I managed to play Civ at the house of a friend but didn't own a copy. I managed to acquire the first Colonization and played a lot. Did had a friend who owned the Civilization board game, played a few 12-hour games with that. Fast forward to when I was already graduated and could afford my own computer and games, had bought Civ4 and its expansions (including the new Colonization), and had a good time (despite at that time being more really into Baldur's Gate and sequels. And, you can stone me, Call to Power I and II). After some years as a workaholic with no time for gaming, then settling down, getting married, there comes Steam and the magic of buying games with a click. I got into Civ5 when Gods and Kings was already out, but was following closely by the time of BNW and jumped into Beyond Earth and Civ6 as soon as they launched.

7. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

I am absolutely amazed at how educated the people here are, it's funny how a very strategic game is popular with, the verypeople who rely on strategy and logic in their careers.

Guandao, tedhebert, Zaarin and 2 others like this.
  8. OmegaDestroyer

OmegaDestroyer Chieftain

I'm 36, American, married, have a 1-month-old daughter, and a treeing walker coon hound. I work as staff attorney for a non-profit legal organization with a focus on poverty law. It's part of my "get rich very slowly" plan and is working out quite well. At this rate, I should be able to retire at 80! *fingers crossed*

I had a strange start with Civilization. I had never played the series or had much interest in it until I discovered I had received a free copy of Civilization V after preordering XCOM: Enemy Unknown. When I was bored one day, I decided to install it and give it a shot. I greatly enjoyed it and have been playing it ever since. It is currently my favorite computer game series (Smash Brothers for console). I have played IV, V, BE, and VI. I played IV (which was given to me as a free gift for some reason; something to do about some kind of game controversy. I do not recall) after V and just could not get into it. I loved Brave New World, enjoyed BE (really enjoyed after Rising Tide), and have dropped almost 800 hours into VI. I tend to stick to King difficulty but will play on Emperor every once in awhile. Usually I opt for a cultural victory but get so fed up with the idiotic AI I conquer them. VI is currently my favorite of the series and I really hope to see a BE sequel that incorporates VI's mechanics (not the diplomacy. The horror... The horror...).

I used to do that too. Thought I was going to get busted once when I was called on and didn't have a clue what we were talking about. ...I wasn't a great student but I managed to pass the bar on the first try.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  9. Dave "old computer guy"

Dave "old computer guy" Chieftain

I am, perhaps, the oldest living active Civ player. I turned 75 last Saturday. University trained account who discovered computers on my very first "real" job and spent the remainder of my working life dealing with them. Started playing Civ with II, quit for a few years then came back when IV came out. Played a bit of V and now am at 1200+ hours in VI. Today's weather is 18 degrees F and snowing. Looks like I'll add to my hours score today.
    I am also trying to learn EU4 but it's a bit of a challenge for this old brain.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  10. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

32, Male, Michigan USA. Single, no kids and I'm not planning on changing that anytime soon. I'm a programmer/web developer though I can't really say that I'm passionate about it.

I've been playing video games pretty much my entire life. Some of my first memories are playing Duck Hunt on Super Nintendo. I played either Civ II or III when I was younger, don't remember which. Skipped IV, got really into V and I'm really into VI as well. My other hobbies include exercising, reading history books, and movies.

<-- Not my real name by the way. Benito Chavez was a character I made up for a writing assignment when I was in school and has been my online alter ego ever since.

11. Forster

Forster Chieftain

I am 71, male and married with 3 children, none of whom are interested in Civ. My two boys, 27 and 34 are into first person shooters. I am retired from the US Army (3 tours to Vietnam during the war) and the Internal Revenue Service. I have undergraduate degrees in accounting and history and an Master of Business Administration. I live in Columbus, GA, USA. I got into games with Tactics II, played all of the Avalon Hill games, subscribed to SPI and GDW game magazines (game in every issue. Played D & D and Traveller (space RPG) for a long time. I stumbled onto Civ III when I saw an ad a game store, been playing ever since. I have ended up getting and playing all the Civ series except for I, but my favorite are IV and VI. I really like the current version.

I wish you all had identified whether you are male or female. I am curious about the number of women playing. That was one thing I liked about D&D, was the female participation.

tedhebert likes this.
  12. Lanthar

Lanthar SPQR

I'm a married male, 45, no kids. Professionally, I'm a software architect, specializing in data modeling, systems integration, platform design and logistics.

For hobbies, I study history, play boardgames (usually solo), some video games, and design and build small robots or other things using Arduino cards, design board games, gardening and landscaping.

I got into Civ II Gold, continuing on to Civ III, IV, V and VI. Also played, but didn't really get into, Colonization and Beyond Earth. So far, VI has been a disappointment to me overall, with my favorites being IV and V. I mostly lurk here now, waiting for updates on future patches and expansions, hoping VI will be fixed/improved.

13. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

I'm 30 years old, married, and live in Texas. I've got an English degree and am currently working from home as a freelance writer and editor, in addition to being a stay at home dad to my two and a half year old son.

I've been playing the series since III. My dad bought that iteration on a whim, played it for a bit, and then discarded it. I picked it up after him and got pretty hooked. I'm of the opinion that the series is generally getting better, as I don't particularly enjoy revisiting the older entries.

I like to cycle through victory conditions (conquest one game, science the next, then religion, etc.), but always favor the cultural game. I like to attain wonders, of course, but am equally enamored with great works of art. For that reason, I get really annoyed with Kongo and Russia hogging GWAMs, and God help you if you use a spy to steal one of my pieces of art...

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  14. Kmart_Elvis

Kmart_Elvis Chieftain

I'm 38, male, with a girlfriend and teenage son, living in California. Nowhere as nearly educated as the rest of you... I work in the glamorous career of retail. My hobbies are photography, cooking, music festivals and concerts, and paranormal investigation.

My first civ was Civ II which I pirated from an AOL Warez room during my high school days. I've been hooked ever since. I really enjoyed 3, didn't get into 4 as much, and up until recently 5 was my favorite. Now I'm all-in for 6.

I like religious victories the most. Domination probably second. Russia is my favorite civ, if my avatar didn't clue you in. Also a huge fan of Mongolia, Macedon, and Rome. I like to explore new strategies and try to beat the game in unusual ways, like a religion-infused scientific victory with Russia, or One City Challenges.

15. Builderphile

Builderphile Chieftain

Same.

Same...

Same!!

Wow, that's pretty funny. I always sat in the back of the class and I could see from the open laptops that there was a group of about 3 or 4 guys that were playing against each other online. I had no idea what game it was at the time, but they were clearly having a lot of fun, as occasionally they would make frustrated or excited gestures towards each other from across the room.

Eventually I found out what it was and installed it immediately. At first I found it strange because I was used to Age of Empires, but I have now played Civ so much that I find AOE strange (looking forward to AOE4 though, if it ever happens).

WillowBrook and Morningcalm like this.
  16. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

I believe a couple of the women identified themselves, perhaps others did not. I did not specify, but mine seemed obvious (at least to me). At the time, my field in the Navy was unavailable to women. Though now it is open to women. As for my age, we'll narrow it down by saying I was in the Navy during the Bill Clinton and later half of George H.W. Bush era.

I am still amazed at the age range here. Perhaps the greatest age range for any game I have seen.

Zaarin and tedhebert like this.
  17. criZp

criZp Warlord

24 yo here, studying biotech. Apart from that I don't really do much interesting. Started civ in 2011 with civ 5. Haven't played civ 6 in a while now because I despise the diplo AI for being as childish and irrational as it is. Agendas was a big mistake.

18. alancsilver

alancsilver Chieftain

Hi all....

Married... Male.... mid-40s.
    3 kids
    Living in Wisconsin
    IT manager

Been playing since 1997 or so. CivII. Was addicted right away. Was happy with Civ3 and loved Civ4 BTS. It was my favorite by far. I played that game for a decade very happily. Wasn't a fan of 5 at all. I have learned to enjoy 6, but it isn't as challenging as 4. I have been enjoying playing very different styles in 6 and the distinct leaders and abilities.

19. redfox85

redfox85 Chieftain

I'm 33.. single ... with a dalmatian, a labrador retreiver and an ocicat in Toronto. I work for a bank in a IT Service Management team. I also wear prescription sunglasses as 4 concussions have made me really sensitive to light. I almost always go for domination... there is nothing like nuclear warfare to relieve a stressful day. Been playing since civ 4.

20. qadams

qadams Bohemian

I hope you're joking.