Beyond Earth 2 or Civ 7 first?

• Beyond Earth 2

Votes: 18 47.4%
  • Civ 7

Votes: 20 52.6%

• Total voters

SammyKhalifa

Deity
That's all true, and even aside from those troubling problems there were some big holes in the game--what makes it stick in people's heads was the writing, the insertion of historical quotes from all aspects of human experience alongside the character development quotes, all read in the character's (voice actors') voices; the developing sense of dread alongside the hope for the future; the "mood" of the game asmuch as anything in gameplay. But anyhow, I do think we're probably past the point where we're going to see a spinoff before the next iteration of the base game.

blackbutterfly

Emperor
Last edited:

vorlon_mi

Emperor
Midnight Suns has got a Dec release date at D23:
https://www.eurogamer.net/marvels-m...ber-release-date-on-pc-xbox-series-xs-and-ps5

So, either way, perhaps we shall hear some news during the holidays or in the new year?
This article emphasizes another difference between Civ7 and previous games in the franchise: cross-platform.

Back in the day, Civ4 and its expansion packs released on PC (Windows) first. The Mac port was released later, often weeks later. For both Civ4 and Civ5 Firaxis collaborated with Aspyr to create the port and do the testing.

For Civ6 and Civ7 (presumably), Firaxis and 2K want the games to be playable not only Windows PCs and Macs but also on the leading consoles and tablet devices. That involves a great deal more complexity in testing as well as design decisions for CPU architectures. Given the much larger customer base that they get for including consoles and tablets, and the larger source of potential revenue, I don't think they're considering releasing Civ7 or BE2 on PC/Mac only. The next games in our franchise will be cross-platform.

Patine

Deity
This article emphasizes another difference between Civ7 and previous games in the franchise: cross-platform.

Back in the day, Civ4 and its expansion packs released on PC (Windows) first. The Mac port was released later, often weeks later. For both Civ4 and Civ5 Firaxis collaborated with Aspyr to create the port and do the testing.

For Civ6 and Civ7 (presumably), Firaxis and 2K want the games to be playable not only Windows PCs and Macs but also on the leading consoles and tablet devices. That involves a great deal more complexity in testing as well as design decisions for CPU architectures. Given the much larger customer base that they get for including consoles and tablets, and the larger source of potential revenue, I don't think they're considering releasing Civ7 or BE2 on PC/Mac only. The next games in our franchise will be cross-platform.
I believe Civ2 and Civ3 released their Mac versions up to a year or two, later, and Civ1 never had an OFFICIAL Mac version (though I believe it had a fan-made hack that crudely forced compatibility), since we're speaking of all previous games in the franchise. For some reason, a lot of people speak as though the franchise started at Civ4, and this form of reference is mildly irritating, as a big fan of Civ2 and perennial fan of Civ3 to this day.

vorlon_mi

Emperor
Sorry to irritate you. I started with Civ2, after watching a friend from grad school playing Civ1. I continue to play Civ3 and I am a semi-regular contributor on those forums. Thanks for the completion of the reference data. I think that my main point still stands -- by going multi-platform, Firaxis has greatly increased the amount of work required to release a new game in the franchise.

Zegangani

King
For Civ6 and Civ7 (presumably), Firaxis and 2K want the games to be playable not only Windows PCs and Macs but also on the leading consoles and tablet devices. That involves a great deal more complexity in testing as well as design decisions for CPU architectures
Firaxis has greatly increased the amount of work required to release a new game in the franchise.
While I can see that Firaxis might consider some design decisions for Civ7 due to Consoles and Mobile, I don't think that when designing Civ6, and its DLCs, the Devs took into account the Consoles. Civ6 is much more Complex than Civ5, where you would think that the latter would have been more successful on console because of that.

Besides, It's not Firaxis that worked on the Console versions, in Fact, all non-Windows versions (including Mac and Linux) were developed by Aspyr AFAIK. And as we know, the Mobile and Console Versions seem to have a different coding system than the PC version, especially on the UI side.

So I wouldn't say that Firaxis is taking longer to work on a new Civ Game because of the different Platforms they want the Game to be released on. I'm sure that the Firaxis Civ Dev Team are solely focusing on designing the Game as usual (I hope so at least), and intrusting the OS, Linus, Console and Mobile Ports to a 3rd Party. It wouldn't be feasible for Firaxis to take all that burden on their shoulders, and it's not necessary. After all, we have seen many complex Games that were developed for PC, and then later on ported to other Platforms, successfully. The Only Issue with that that we have with Civ6, is that 2K doesn't seem to hire Aspyr often enough to make Updates for those Platforms. However, even for the PC version, any QA/internal testings that are done to Civ6 weren't enough to fix the Game, most testing is done by the Players and them Reporting any Bugs/Imbalances. And yet, we are still here and waiting for that final BugFix Patch that will fix the Game crashes, the Asset Bug Limit, the crazy Monopoly Tourism Bug,...etc.

Though, what I would like for Civ7 to consider for Consoles and Mobile, is making it possible to mod them.

blackbutterfly

Emperor
You realize that this counterpoint is entirely based on semantic pedantry, right? It would not be relevant if a serious, dedicated project to revive the idea were made.
And there maybe one!

Recently popped up on my news feed re: Proxima B (exoplanet in Alpha Centauri tertiary system).

Diktaattori

Chieftain
It's moot.

In the 90s Alpha Centauri was believed to be the closest star for colonisation.

But thousands of exoplanets have been discovered since. I forget the count but it is in excess of 3000.

So the SMAC narrative is antiquated.

Beyond Earth colonising exoplanets instead of Alpha Centauri.

(That is not to diminish the genius that was the SMAC/X narrative. It's just that some things can't be rebooted in modern times. Like Jaws, cos we no longer fear great white sharks like in the 70's).Most påeople are still horrified of them. It can be rebooted and iut has beeen rebooted. Deep Blue Sea and Sharkanado are reboots

Top Bottom