• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Is Civ 6 PC: A continuation.

Spoiler :
This is also a problem I have with Civ 6 honestly. I don't think it's with bad intent or in any way insidious, but it is definitely very telling that, simply from my standpoint as a number cruncher, it is virtually always Classical Republic, then Merchant Republic, then Democracy which are the supreme choices for any economy, no matter whether you want a cultural, or a science, or a diplo win. You could argue that some of the other governments are useful for religious or domination victory, but the easiest way to win domination de facto is to have a strong economy and better science than all of your opponents.

The same goes for Colonialism and wars of aggression. In game one is virtually always rewarded for swallowing a weaker neighbor, or just waging war in general. The penalties are mostly laughable and diplomatic relations do not matter much in order for one to achieve their desires victory, unless it's specifically diplo.

Industrializing asap also has absolutely zero drawbacks. Most of my games end before global warming even enters the game. But even if a player drew out the game long enough, climate change can be fixed with little work (getting lots of science and building renewable improvements, basically). The subtext is essentially "science will fix climate change for us no probs". It's also funny that global warming was introduced as a way to tell the player that exploiting nature and producing insane amounts of CO2 is wrong and has consequences, but subtly the game is actually telling you that to be the first to blow through massive amounts of Coal/Oil is the most "optimal" thing in regards to winning the game. It's also unsatisfying that there are no renewable power options earlier, even though those totally existed, and that Coal is still "better" than the renewables, even though we today know that renewables can be as effective as fossil fuel power plants.

It is also very telling that the only way to win a culture victory is with blue jeans and rock bands, which is not only a fundamental misunderstanding of what culture actually is, but the more sinister explanation is of course that one culture will end up dominating the other, through tourism, capitalism and cultural imperialism, which is in itself pretty sad.

It is many things like these, and I don't even have a problem with them because they're bad political messages (they are), but because they make gameplay kinda boring. I can always be a maniacal world dictator that colonizes, raids and burns fossil fuels with impunity all while masking as a democracy and I get near zero in-game consequences for that. Sometimes I wish for Civ 5s ideology system, as bad as it was, back. That did have major consequences for your playstyle. Same for Civ 5 diplomacy honestly. I never, ever get declared on in Civ 6, even on Deity.

I suppose this all simply reflects the ideology of the people who worked on that game: They wanted to (consciously) make a game that shows diversity (and they succeeded at that imho) yet unconsciously they reproduce a lot of the status quo of our world., mainly that imperialism and colonialism does in fact have little to no consequences for the perpetrators, that most people think capitalism and liberal democracy are inherently the best systems, and that climate change will somehow fix itself with a little science and a few wind turbines.

Nice, I definitely agree. I was worried my post would be interpreted as your normal fist shaking at the PeeCee police (which it easily could TBH). AC: Valhalla just had such a blatant strange combination of playing lip-service to all the most obvious boxes to tick off (The Norse being apparently multicultural and non-patriarchal, some elements of this is true but a lot more complicated than that, and the Brits then being supposedly the complete opposite), and also inadvertently playing into white supremacism in a rather shocking way (Norse = Manly, Anglos = feminine). In many ways the game is like a wet dream of a germanic romanticist. I guess it's somewhat inevitable when portraying a Norse protagonist and all the legitimate imagery and history that has since been appropriated by outright racists, but they could have done a way better job IMO, just bring it a bit more down to earth to reality please.

A good article on the issues I'm referring to:
https://acoup.blog/2020/11/20/miscellanea-my-thoughts-on-assassins-creed-valhalla/

Last edited:
I think it has to be solvable somehow within the game or else players wouldn't tolerate climate change as a feature to begin with due to how punishing it is. This has happened to the franchise before, where every time they tried to add global warming the community complained it was OP and unfair to their already steamrolling empire, which is essentially why it was cut from Civ 5. The first two Civs also had a pollution system but that was cut from Civ 3 for similar complaints by the fandom.

I personally think it was solved better in the earlier games and I don't think the climate change mechanic in 6 is very punishing at all, but fundamentally you're right, there has to be a way to solve it within the game. I simply think it should be both more punishing and harder to solve (or more complex at least?) from a pure gameplay POV, it would certainly help to put some difficulty into an already much too easy game.

Civ III have pollution, Civ IV did not have pollution, but have health instead. Civ V did not have global warming at all and same with Civ VI before gathering the storm. Civ VI atleast give some diplomatic penalties for causing global warming, past games there was no such penalties. The punishment is otherwise about the same, past Civ games would randomly make tiles into desert, Civ VI flood tiles, the difference is that you can avoid the flooding by a building.

Global warming just has no place in a civ game. It doesn't make sense in the time scale of the game. It doesn't make sense in the scale of the game (tiles must represent like 100+ square miles, but sure have them randomly turn into deserts or ocean). And it ultimately doesn't make sense in a FFA game, where you actually do want to burn the world if it means you can be king of the ashes.

Nah it could be in. It just needs to have "shot in the foot" consequences for the highest polluters in particular. In SMAC this was more straighforward (you literally got smacked with worms, pun intended) but in Civ6 you could tie it up as "-X amenities per XCO² after X tech" to represent the enviromentalists complaining and the smog filled cities.

Ideally it'd be tied to a health system, specially if the game had stuff like plagues

Global warming just has no place in a civ game. It doesn't make sense in the time scale of the game. It doesn't make sense in the scale of the game (tiles must represent like 100+ square miles, but sure have them randomly turn into deserts or ocean). And it ultimately doesn't make sense in a FFA game, where you actually do want to burn the world if it means you can be king of the ashes.

Doesn't the game end in like 2050? Some of the worse projections make it very much a part of our timeline then, and desertification and extreme weather and such already began in the 2010s.

That said, Civ is more like advanced Risk than an actual simulator, so its game mechanics are abstractions with inspiration from our world regardless. So it's one of those things that can be immersive but ultimately serves a computed boardgame.

No it doesn't. Not only do the vast majority of games end well before 2050, but if a mechanic's effects only matter at the very end it's best left ignored in all cases. Not to mention it still wouldn't lead to interesting choices even if the timeline were 2150, because as mentioned, why would I sacrifice something on my end to help *everyone* in a FFA game? Only thing I can see happening is the exact opposite: some tundraball nation trolling the world by going out of their way to hasten global warming, which would probably benefit them given whatever simplistic representation is used in the game.
Where on earth has desertification already occurred to such a large extent you could say it represents a tile in civ?

Where on earth has desertification already occurred to such a large extent you could say it represents a tile in civ?

From wikipedia:
It has been estimated that some 10–20% of drylands are already degraded, the total area affected by desertification being between 6 and 12 million square kilometres, that about 1–6% of the inhabitants of drylands live in desertified areas, and that a billion people are under threat from further desertification.[19][20]

Aral sea wasn't drained by climate change.

Be more specific on drylands. Where do I take a tile off the map?

A local one, climate change is global. I got no problem with the game removing forests I chop.

Yes and depicting global warming in the game does not make sense. A global malus does not lead to interesting decisions unless it's assymetric. In the case of global warming it's an even bigger stretch because there are no effects until the very end of the game.

Local changes can lead to global changes.
Yeah, this is kinda how it works in-game already. Deforestation and CO2 emmisions anywhere increase the likelihood of disasters and the global temperature everywhere. It's actually a strategy to chop all your own forests, build a bunch of Coal Power Plants, and build flood barriers in your own cities, so that you make the entire world flood while you alone don't have to deal with the consequences.
Also on the time scale of the game - it's not really comparable to say that you can make climate change have massive effects by 1800 in-game, but irl there aren't many places you could point to and say "that's a plains tile becoming a desert tile", because in the game where you get massive climate change effects by 1800, you've just created a world that industrialized sooner, started massively polluting the world sooner, and therefore is experiencing the long-term effects of climate change sooner.

Yes and depicting global warming in the game does not make sense. A global malus does not lead to interesting decisions unless it's assymetric. In the case of global warming it's an even bigger stretch because there are no effects until the very end of the game.
It is not really a global malus since only certain locations can be flooded and I also think certain locations are more prone to the various natural events, meaning not everyone is impacted equally by global warming, even less so since you can build flood barriers. The diplomatic favor loss give another way to punish the biggest polluters and encourage development of renewable energy sources.

Top Bottom