Is Civ5 really more mod-friendly than civ4?

Kyriakos

Creator
I would want to use at maximum two different programs to make a building for civ5, not 10. Also i do not want to have to learn any new skills so as to just indulge in a hobby, if possible.

So, from the looks of it, is civ5 more mod-friendly than the other civ titles?

Granted that it is 3d i accept that i cannot just use 3dsmax. But i loathe to think that it will be a long railway of programs that are needed for one to make even one simple graphical addition to this game.

I would want to use at maximum two different programs to make a building for civ5, not 10.
What?
Also i do not want to have to learn any new skills so as to just indulge in a hobby, if possible.
That's so rediculous. People who work on their hobbies and love them, like mugs that build racecars or cabinets, or whatever, you really think they didn't learn skills to do that? You want to make something cool, you need to pick up some skills to do that. That's life homes. That's just how the real world works. The examples are endless, but if you don't care enough to work on your hobby like that, then that's not really a hooby for you, just some random interest, but don't claim it's a hobby then, if you're not willing to put any major effort into it. Don't get me wrong, it's all good to have some interests and mess around working on things that are fun for you, but don't expect to be able to build your kids a treehouse, without learning how to wield a hammer, likewise for any mod that is truly a novel creation.

So, from the looks of it, is civ5 more mod-friendly than the other civ titles?
At this point, no, Civ4 is still more moddable. But civ4 is years old, with alot of source code exposed and having been worked on by the community. The civ5 gamecore .dll source is still not released, and probably wol't be for another year (just like civ4), so it's not even close to a fair comparision. At the end of the day though, I expect civ5 to be more moddable, but that'll take time.

I've only looked at the XML code and it looks pretty open and available. It seems to have all the old Civ IV options (even ones not enabled for Civ V) and then some. I'm happy with the XML but I want the mod tools so that they can be implemented (modpacks). Right now I'm having trouble getting the game to recognize them and I dread changing any default or core gamefiles just to implement them.

Top Bottom