Is it CivBE half-product !?

Do you think CivBE came out too early and unfinished ?

• Yes

Votes: 150 72.5%
  • No

Votes: 57 27.5%

• Total voters

jokii

Chieftain
I think CivBE came out too early. This game should be still in development.

Game has many flaws, but most of all it feels unfinished.
What is it missing ?

It has many bugs,
lousy AI,
it is unbalanced,
multiplayer doesn't work,
UI looks half-finished ( units and wonders are not visible in tech. tree...ect. ) ,
it doesn't have cinematics for wonders and ending,
there is no demographics screen...ect..

...after this you can only ask yourself; why ?..and..What is happening with Firaxis ?

Wow, I can't believe some one actually voted no. They must not have played more than 10 turns yet.

I've had fun playing it. I wouldn't have minded playing an even rougher version months earlier. If you think that CivBE can be fun when it's finished, just wait till it's finished. If you want to play it now, play it now. It's good to have choices.

I voted no because I'm happy with the game. It's playable and fun for me, a LOT of fun. And it doesn't crash. It's certainly not balanced but that's been the case with earlier Civs as well.

I'm not convinced that it would be that much better had it stayed 'cooking in the pot' for another three weeks/months, whatever, because it needed to be released and into our (un)grateful little paws for the next, most crucial stage of its development.

This is a very ambitious game and it has tremendous potential as well. If it's not doing it for you now, go and play something else until they release a patch or two. That's good advice by the way, meant with sincerity.

I think Firaxis has got the message already that some folks are unhappy. Read the developer's post if you haven't already. Now you're just beating the drum with no other purpose than to make a noise. :deadhorse:

What developers post? Other then the cookie cutter "We're working on it" one. Has there been any other feedback from Firaxis?

I voted no. Although there are a few things missing, overall the game is enjoyable and relatively stable.

I can't agree with all of these but i do agree it came out too early and comes across very rushed and unpolished.

It has way too many bugs, basic bugs that can be found every other play through. That's appalling. Typos in text, text that extends beyond text boxes, it's sloppy and lazy and should not have any association with a triple A title like this.

The balance and AI is more subjective, and difficult. I won't complain too much about it because it's still playable in these conditions, and will surely be tweaked over time. The AI will probably not get any better, but it's using the same engine as V, so i wasn't expecting wonders.

The multiplayer is frankly inexcusable. There are basic things that they have omitted in the multiplayer game from the single player game, it's somehow less stable than civ V. It's shocking and i feel like i've been shafted. This is the second game in a row i've played from firaxis with minimum consideration taken towards multiplayer facilities despite advertising they have them.

The UI is also disappointing and needs improvement in a host of areas, a lot of which should very easily have been picked up in testing.

Yes, almost literally. The first half of the games looks far more finished than the second half when trade routes get out of control, overpowered affinity units come into play, and wonders do nothing.
And "diplomacy" is even more bare bones than vanilla Civ V.
I did enjoy the game for the first one and a half weeks when I played it obsessively, but now that the novelty has worn off I've had enough and won't start another game unitl it gets patched.
The technical is pretty good. I have encountered very few bugs and no stability or performance issues, but maybe I'm just lucky to have the right hardware.

I voted no because I'm happy with the game. It's playable and fun for me, a LOT of fun. And it doesn't crash. It's certainly not balanced but that's been the case with earlier Civs as well.

I'm not convinced that it would be that much better had it stayed 'cooking in the pot' for another three weeks/months, whatever, because it needed to be released and into our (un)grateful little paws for the next, most crucial stage of its development.

This is a very ambitious game and it has tremendous potential as well. If it's not doing it for you now, go and play something else until they release a patch or two. That's good advice by the way, meant with sincerity.

I think Firaxis has got the message already that some folks are unhappy. Read the developer's post if you haven't already. Now you're just beating the drum with no other purpose than to make a noise. :deadhorse:

I expected improvements from the last sequel. And a working multiplayer on release for a game which has problematic, buggy AI and it is way too easy even on apollo.

I think every fan of Civ is right to expect some kind of progress from a next sequel...

But that's just me. Maybe I have too high expectations...

...and what developer's post ?

Wow, I can't believe some one actually voted no. They must not have played more than 10 turns yet.

I voted no. You have a problem with that?

It is very easy to answer no to such a loaded, biased question.

Did it come out "too early"? answer: NO

Is it "unfinished"? answer : NO

If you want a constructive, mature debate, this is not the way to go about it.

I voted No - the game is fun it does not have few if any show-stopping bugs. I've only had 1 crash in 260 hours of play. To address your points

It has many bugs
There are only a handful of bugs that I have encountered. Land units being able to board gunboats (with airslot upgrade), some quest bugs and oddities, and a few technical issues. Otherwise I would call this a very stable release. - Not a major issue

It has roughly the same AI as Civilization: Brave New World. There are mechanics that have been introduced into this game that hamper its ability to fully utilize all of the new features, but for my playing experience the AI gives me a challenge outside of combat. - Compared to Civilization BNW - on Par

it is umbalanced
Agree with you there, but modding is addressing some of the easier issues and allows you to pick and choose which features you feel are unbalanced. - Good Point

UI looks half-finished ( units and wonders are not visible in tech. tree...ect. )
I'm not sure which um... tech web... you are looking at, but I see all of the units unlocked in the first ring, and the wonders are all visible, most displayed in the leaf techs of various technologies. There are few issues with the UI, but overall it functions well. - I'll give you a point here

it doesn't have cinematics for wonders and ending,
It has the same level of "cinematics" shown in Civilization Brave New World. Not the title of the game. Civilization: Beyond Earth - not Alpha Centauri: Beyond Earth. If you expect the same presentation of the latter, then I am sorry you felt misled. If you followed development at all you could pretty easily tell which game this would be modeled after and which one it wouldn't. - Not an Issue

there is no demographics screen..
This is something I miss a bit, but you can check most of what you need to know on the diplomacy screen. Hover over the other players score and you know a good deal about the pecking order of the various leaders. Military, production and science are all available for you to figure out by doing scouting, talking to the leader, and espionage. If that isn't good enough you can download the Infoaddicts mod. There is an achievement for that. - Not an issue, workaround available

So for all of the points you bring up about why the game isn't finished, I give this complaint thread a rating of 2/6.

...and what developer's post ?

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=537545

I voted no. You have a problem with that?

Yes, obviously he does since he's pointing fingers and sneering at the 'funny people' who like this game. It helps him to feel superior to us when in fact, he's just mad at himself for either:

a) pre-ordering a Firaxis game after what happened with Civ IV and Civ V, or
b) for buying the game after release without trying the demo first.

If you can't stand the heat, don't buy a big new game until after the first patch. Some of us are happy to participate in the process and don't find it so traumatic as some obviously do. Some folks even buy a place in the alpha or beta phases of the game. Galactic Civ 3, I'm looking at you here ;) It's actually better for us than waiting 3-4 more months for the game to be released.

Yes.

The more hours I've put into this game, and the more effort I've put in to looking critically at balance and features, the more depressed about its release I've become. I'm still going to put more work into fixing it, but as I uncover problem after problem, and balance issue after balance issue, I feel like it's just a wasted effort.

I've been around since Civ III's release. No Civilization game has been that fantastic on its first day. But I can honestly say that Beyond Earth is the worst.

I just hope whatever project Firaxis was actually working on for the past year (XCOM:EU2, most likely) fares better.

I voted no because it is completely fine for a base Civ game and better than both vanilla Civ IV and V were on launch.

I've been around since Civ III's release. No Civilization game has been that fantastic on its first day. But I can honestly say that Beyond Earth is the worst.
Eh, I found CivIII worse (been around since CivII), to be honest.

It was the one Civ game that couldn't keep my attention whatsoever. Lots of the issues I had are supposedly fixed now with all the expansions... but it's kind of too late for me to re-visit it.

Civ:BE still fascinates me enough after a few full games that I'm looking forward to revisiting it - and it plays better than Civ5 after release to me (which I found extremely boring). I still hoped for more after Firaxis set a high bar with XCOM, so it does feel like a rushed game to me.

The problem with the errors that plague this game is not just a matter of quantity ( just take a look at the bug report board) but also and more importantly a matter of "quality".

It's normal and understandable that games will have some bugs, especially if they are well hidden, or if they occur in very special cases. It's not as much understandable when the errors are in plain sight and occur systematically. That denotes an undeniably rushed, if not an outright lack of, betatesting.

A lot of players may not even realize that they are playing a game that has several gaming features that are not working or that are not working as intended.
For example the fact that aliens never get angry is not by design, it's a bug.
The fact that you almost always get a station spawning near your capital between 10 turns in the game, often where you wanted to expand is not by design, it's a bug. It's not supposed to happen that often.

And these are just a few and not counting the errors that are probably in the DLL and can't be checked yet.

This is not a matter of having fun or not, this isn't even the game that is supposed to be.

It was released in much better state than previous Civ games. Actually most of the things are better fixed after real-life testing (like balance).

The problem with the errors that plague this game is not just a matter of quantity ( just take a look at the bug report board) but also and more importantly a matter of "quality".

It's normal and understandable that games will have some bugs, especially if they are well hidden, or if they occur in very special cases. It's not as much understandable when the errors are in plain sight and occur systematically. That denotes an undeniably rushed, if not an outright lack of, betatesting.

A lot of players may not even realize that they are playing a game that has several gaming features that are not working or that are not working as intended.
For example the fact that aliens never get angry is not by design, it's a bug.
The fact that you almost always get a station spawning near your capital between 10 turns in the game, often where you wanted to expand is not by design, it's a bug. It's not supposed to happen that often.

And these are just a few and not counting the errors that are probably in the DLL and can't be checked yet.

This is not a matter of having fun or not, this isn't even the game that is supposed to be.

A lot of gamers are aware that games rarely ever (if ever) release with no bugs and all the features working as designed. That there are things not working properly shouldn't shock anyone. What we have here is a lack of tolerance for the bugs/features not WAD and that's a different issue. And we see this lack of tolerance not just here but on other game forums as well.

It's not as much understandable when the errors are in plain sight and occur systematically. That denotes an undeniably rushed, if not an outright lack of, betatesting.

So are you telling us you are a Civ BE beta tester? I think not, in which case you don't know how rigorously this title was tested and you're just pointing fingers. Features get broken and new bugs are introduced in every new version of the code leading up to the release. And when their time is up, the game goes out as it is unless it is literally unplayable. It proves nothing at all.

No game is going to be released in perfect condition nowadays unless it is a very simple one. Nobody expects perfection when they're released either. None of us are that stupid. So what's going on here?

I think I made a point that I'm not asking for perfection and that it is understandable that games will be released with some errors.

Here let me quote myself

It's normal and understandable that games will have some bugs, especially if they are well hidden, or if they occur in very special cases.

I'll make a comparison

If I buy a book, that there will be some typos in the book it is to be expected, that it is littered with grade school level grammar errors it is not acceptable.

I expect this game to be fixed, and I am fairly confident that it will for the most part. But since this level of errors aren't supposed to exist on an official stable release, I'm going to consider this game unfinished until then.

Top Bottom