Is Logistics underrated?

I thought this was considered something you'd run most times once you got it? Maybe not in peaceful games but it's a high-end warmonger pick and decent at peace. It applies on following turn if you take cities in enemy territory, and often gives enough movement to close on the next city faster or get onto terrain you otherwise could not. Coupled with a great general it's excellent.

Because you get city culture of enemy and they often touch culture of next cities, the percentage of turns you get either 1) the movement bonus or 2) are attacking next city is pretty high.

If your econ is in good shape logistics can be better than -WW cards and -maintenance cards, in fact it helps with WW itself because it makes wars faster.

Who is underrating it? Even in peacetime it is an amazing policy. Since roads suck so bad in this game getting +1 move really helpful to marshal units when I see troops massing on my border. Plus 3 move workers are great. And of course in war it's great to blitz into position around a city and get reinforcements into the field faster.

I created this thread because before it logistics had never been mentioned in any thread but other red cards had been praised and there was quite a few that said red cards were limited and only the upgrades and money savers useful, and so on. It was a way to highlight a card that is very handy.

A good example was a thread on bottlenecks and slow moving through jungle, no mention of this card or the options it may provide.

Since this post those comments in other threads seemed to have stopped. I doubt the cause is this thread but I hoped it helped.

Logistics is amazing. Once my GPT is high enough to sustain a defensive army, i will always pick logistics over anything else. And the main reason is that it realized it also works for builders. Which makes improving your land a lot faster when you decide to do a builder wave or two.

If i have a much larger army tough, i will always keep the maintenance cost reduction. But even in that case i will certainly be playing domination so i'll have more than one military slot, and logistics would be #2 must have in that situation. The way it allows to jump from a conquered city to the next is insanely good especially as by that point you probably destroyed the opponent's army and the main problem will come from positionning vs city defense. So that extra movement point is pure gold.

Overall, i find that the military slots benefit a lot more from frequent changes than the economic or diplomatic ones. Professional army, agoge, logistics, and even bonus production to unit building will all be used in all of my games depending on the situation.

Top Bottom