[C3C] Is there a maximum number of bonus resources?

MeteorPunch

#WINNING
As in, I'm thinking of using 200+ bonus resources on a map, in addition to the max 32 strategic/luxury...anyone aware of a problem with this?

Not that I'm aware of, the only problems that I've heard is that, if you have more than 64 resources, 32 Lux and Strat, and 32 bonus, you need to have resources in multiples of 32 because of the resource bug.

There's also a Phantom Resource issue:
Pounder said:
Rules:
1) Maximum of 32 combined strategic and luxury resources.

2) You have to have total resources be multiples of 32.
Example, you have 32 strat/lux, followed by 64 bonus. Total 96 resources.

Avoiding Phantom Resources in unconnected cities:
Example, if you have a strat/lux resource in position 25, a phantom resource will appear in an unconnected city assignning it from position 57 or 89 if they are not bonus resources.

If you don't have 96 resources in this example, if you only have 88 resources assigned, then the position 89 will actually be position 1 and the strat/lux resource in postion 1 will be a phantom resource to unconnected cities (giving that city a resource that it may not have and probably shouldn't have, you may not have even discovered it yet, but it will be usable).

The game checks all multiples of 32 past the strat/lux resource and continues counting at the top again. If you can't assign exact multiples of 32 resources, fill in the unused positions with filler bonus resources that aren't assigned to any terrain type.

You don't have to have all your strat/lux resources in the first 32 positions, as long as all increments/decrements of 32 are bonus resources.
Example: If you have a strat/lux resource in position 33, then you must have a bonus resource in position 1 and 65.

Thanks to CornPlanter for all his hard work on this, I am merely trying to post a summary.

---------------

I'm currently using 219 resources, my current limit is 287 because that is the current size of my resource icon file.

If you don't place your strategic and luxury all in the first 32 places, then don't place more than one strategic or luxury per row.

Obviously if you are starting from scratch, it is best to reserve the first 32 places for strat/lux.

See the attached matrix of my current resources.

You don't have to have an exact multiple of 32 resources, just no more than one strategic or luxury per row.

This is how to avoid ghost resources.

I've hit a limit before a couple of times, possibly around the 256 mark.

You can add more in the editor, but you'll get CTD's if you try to run it.

This was on larger fixed maps though; if it's a memory issue then I dunno if it'd affect random maps?

I made such a test myself on a 360 x 306 worldmap. The magical border was 255 resources. With that number of resources all did load well. When adding the resource 256 (number 255 as the resource counter starts with zero) I had a freeze (no CtD !) when player 9 out of 31 was configurated.

If we could only convince Firaxis to fix that resource bug, which is in the hard coding, modding the game would be a whole lot simpler.

Top Bottom