Is there any way to rotate your camera in Civ5?

Netsurfer733

Warlord
Does anyone know if you can rotate your camera at all in Civ5? I don't seem to be able to do it like I once was in Civ4.

Anyone?

Man, that's absurd...why do game developers always have to take steps back as they take steps forwards? It happens seemingly every time a new game engine is implemented...

Man, that's absurd...why do game developers always have to take steps back as they take steps forwards? It happens seemingly every time a new game engine is implemented...
I think it has to do with the new way a couple of things a laid out - with only one relatively fixed perspective, you only have to make things look good from one side.

Cheers, LT.

Image rotation around a square gives you a kinda diagonal perspective. With hexes, it's essentially still the same perspective (it'd be like a 90 degree rotation with squares). I'd assume that'd be one of the reasons they didn't include it?

Image rotation around a square gives you a kinda diagonal perspective. With hexes, it's essentially still the same perspective (it'd be like a 90 degree rotation with squares). I'd assume that'd be one of the reasons they didn't include it?

I think they didn't because the game was unfinished to begin with. CiIV had a much better design team.

Totally agree bring back the free camera rotation:goodjob: I suspect they didn't add it in because of complications with seeing the horizon and the new cloud fog-of-war concept (which is great). Can you remember what happened in Civ4 when you rotated the camera to see over the horizon back at your own civ? It used to slow down the frame rate something terrible. However, not to have the feature is very sad. Let's hope they bring it back.

After all, what is the point of having 3D at all if the perspective is fixed? Back in 2003 there were some really innovative 2.5D technologies out there that we doing everything that 3D can on a fraction of the hardware requirement, except that you could not use free rotation perspective. In 2.5D you could do zoom, complete building, unit modelling and smooth animation, and with beautiful eye candy detail. On today's hardware, 2.5D would probably be producing at least as good if not better eye-candy than 3D is. So to not have free camera rotation perspective is making all the new technology look a bit silly and wasteful.

Cheers

Top Bottom