1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this possible

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by kairob, May 1, 2007.

1. kairob

kairob Biohazard

I was thinking about the paganism civic and I was wondering whether its possible to change it so that it has no state religion and added +1 :culture: per city - 1 :culture: per non state religion in that city and the same for :) .

This way it would be kind of the opposite of free religion, however I recon I can copy the code for the +1 :) & :culture:, from other civics and the no state religion from free religion, but I couldn't figure out the code for - something for each non state religion.

Any help would be appreciated. Comments on how good this idea is and whether you would be interested in it as a modcomp or whether I should just have it for myself would also be appreciated.

Thanks guys

2. Edungeon

Edungeon Flying~

This will make expansion too easy, you will not need Monuments to pop borders. And the Pyramids will be useless, but i liked the idea.

3. flyingchicken

flyingchicken Deity

If anything, religion should never decrease culture. It does not make any sense.

The current system makes perfect sense (minority religions not contributing the the major culture of the Civ) and works just fine.

4. LuKo

LuKo The Royal Guard

5. flyingchicken

flyingchicken Deity

@LuKo
    With seven religions that would make -7 :culture: + 1, making it -6 :culture: per turn.

Of course, the seriousness of your post comes into question with the :) at the end, but I'd rather make my point and look a fool than to not make my point and not look a fool. :p

6. LuKo

LuKo The Royal Guard

Without state religion every religion gives you +1 :culture: so it's still 0 :culture: (just basic 1 :culture: ).

7. flyingchicken

flyingchicken Deity

Oh good lord you're right! Now it makes much more sense than before.

Now I just think it would be an unfortunate addition.

8. kairob

kairob Biohazard

Thanks for the feedback guys :)

As this would only benifit cities without a religion once you have a religion in over half your cities the idea is that it would be swapped to another civic and get a state religion thus no longer be pagan.

9. Gaius Octavius

Gaius Octavius Deity

I like this idea. It makes sense from a historical perspective, giving you an added incentive to switch civics.

About the culture issue, what you could do is make it so that instead of giving -1 :culture: and :) per religion, you just don't get the regular bonuses. That way, with paganism it comes out to zero in the end no matter what.

10. kairob

kairob Biohazard

well, the idea was to give a bonus to the city if it didnt have any religions their to represent any pagan religions in the city, although you might be right...

11. Cethegus

Cethegus King

How would this affect dominion over Holy Shrines then? Would the player still reap the gold coming in or would the Shrines then be ignored?

Other than that I like the idea. Right now Paganism (no state religion) allows you to reap in the benefits of all religions without the political hassle although historically pagan civs have received just as much diplomatic penalties as those who follow the wrong faith. Introducing this modification wouldn't seem too much of a bad idea to me. Political invulnerability or earthly benefits, which do you choose?

12. aryann

aryann Warlord

I think it'd make a very good addition actually. Makes sense.

13. Lokolus

Lokolus Retired...

The Polish nationalist is back (Luko):)!
    I don't really like the idea because the first civics should have no effects.