Issue with CP-EUI

How about this: Because we are a community respectful of one another, bc1 makes clear his intent for the redistribution, derivation, or otherwise re-use of EUI, and we abide to that. Let not the law (or what passes) decide on what should be simple decency. Because certainly this is not the place for a discussion on the matter - this was a technical issue now since resolved (or, circumvented). And, tbh, I know that I won't miss the extra effort involved to support EUI if bc1 does not wish its content modified and redistributed.

Well, what do you know, bc1 has already done this :p:

You may NOT distribute this program in whole or in part, except as non-profit EUI derivative work "compatibility files" and only as required to make an EUI "mod mod" or your Civilization 5 "mod" compatible with EUI, and including a statement referring to these terms.

So it seems clear that a dead horse is being beaten.

How about this: Because we are a community respectful of one another, bc1 makes clear his intent for the redistribution, derivation, or otherwise re-use of EUI, and we abide to that. Let not the law (or what passes) decide on what should be simple decency. Because certainly this is not the place for a discussion on the matter - this was a technical issue now since resolved (or, circumvented). And, tbh, I know that I won't miss the extra effort involved to support EUI if bc1 does not wish its content modified and redistributed.

Well, what do you know, bc1 has already done this :p:

So it seems clear that a dead horse is being beaten.

Oh, totally, I agree with you. I value everyone's work, and I would hate for someone's work to be trampled by someone else's over legalese jargon.

I also don't want to see my (our anyone else's) labor on EUI compatibility torpedoed as a result of all this, thus my initial concern. Seems it can be put to rest, which is fine by me.

G

what is meant is that you should only include files which require modifications, and not distribute unmodified files.
The basic idea is that I do not want EUI forks, and want to continue to control EUI development.

I do realize more modularity would make this goal easier to reach. So with EUI v1.28, I have modified the core library to add the hard-coded trade item types for C4DF, and initiated changes to allow mods to easily override EUI tooltips, in a way that does not require to include modified EUI files.

How it's supposed to work (please note I have not yet had the time to test this aspect):
  1. EUI sets up a UI_bc1 table within MapModData at game start, before mod EntryPoints lua script (InGameUIAddin or otherwise) get to run. This MapModData.UI_bc1 table aims to include all of the tooltip functions used by EUI (1.28 includes all of the InfoToolTipInclude functions, there are more to come)
  2. mods EntryPoints lua scripts can supply a replacement xxx function by assigning the corresponding MapModData.UI_bc1.xxx field with the replacement function (so all you need to do is copy paste/code you have already written)
  3. upon closing of the dawn of man screen, EUI sets up the tooltips with whatever functions (with the expected names) are in MapModData.UI_bc1 at that time. Please be careful to set only the MapModData.UI_bc1 fields you need to set!
:rolleyes:you really want me gone, don't you:lol: Given the fact that in the past CivFanatics has kindly acted to uphold my author rights claims, I will continue to trust that they still consider them valid
:clap:

bc1, just letting you know that I took some time to get the CBP synced up with 1.28a this weekend. It's all synced up now, and the EUI used by CBP is now the default version (all edits to EUI files are now in my compatibility mod). So, in the event that a CP user stumbles over to the EUI thread, you shouldn't have to worry about a separate version of EUI making things difficult to diagnose. Thanks for addressing the caching issue, and the _library files seem to work just fine.

Cheers,
G

Top Bottom