1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] It's Been a Few Weeks, GS Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Wingednosering, Mar 6, 2019.

?

How would you rate the Gathering Storm expansion?

1. I don't have it

14 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. 1 (Terrible)

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  3. 2 (Poor)

13 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. 3 (Alright)

44 vote(s)
    19.8%
  5. 4 (Good)

126 vote(s)
    56.8%
  6. 5 (Incredible)

23 vote(s)
    10.4%
  1. Quintus of Mund

Quintus of Mund Chieftain

Fairly happy with it. Civ6, with more to it! Having a good time.

2. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

I strongly dislike rising sea levels that seem to happen too early and too randomly. It's made me put it back on the shelf already.

3. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

Don’t like being constantly pestered by every AI to trade piddly little amounts of favor.

4. King Rad

King Rad Chieftain

I voted good, but if a very good were available, I've have voted that. It's not perfect [what is?]. But I play for fun, not fastest victories, etc., and so far I've found all the changes enjoyable. I accidentally won a diplomatic victory in my first game [as Genghis, no less! decided to play a random older civ to try out the new features]. I think I finished something that gave me victory points when I wasn't paying attention! Current game is as Canada - very different experience from my usual games. so I'm really enjoying it.

Quintus of Mund likes this.
  5. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

They really need to do a major balance patch. They also need to stop the AI constantly spamming the player with useless trades. Once those things happen it will be "good". Right now it is just "alright".

Solomonic Wisdom likes this.
  6. MisterBoomBoom

MisterBoomBoom Chieftain

I've haven't changed my style of play one bit and seem to be winning midgame (as before) before any sort of global warming effects even take place. I haven't gotten any sort of world congress events that are not the run of the mill boring crapitude from previous editions. The disasters are righteous in my eyes and I appreciate the new units but once again wish there were more. Still scratching my head on why they can't add Moar from the get go. Same old problems with the addition of new ones had me rate it "poor". I would raise it to good on suspicion that it might get better if I keep on playing past the victory screens. I like to build but do seem more restricted by doing so because of the unremovable restrictive stuff on the map. I wonder spam still since many things aren't worth building anymore. For the first time in a long time, I found myself building projects for lack of something to do more productive. More GP's that, in turn, are still boring and lacking new originality. Still wondering why artists didn't exist until mid game and I'm afraid to even see what is in store for me with rock bands. At least I got some new Civs is what I tell myself at the end of the day.

7. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

If I could have one change, I think this would be it.

Boris Gudenuf and acluewithout like this.
  8. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

Seriously. As soon as I get any, everyone I know asks for it.

This needs some work. We should be able to curry favor directly with the factions themselves rather than receiving it like some kind of abstract diplomatic bitcoin.

It shouldn’t be about buying resolutions with favor. Instead, you should be calling in favors with your allies. There’s no debate or conversation, so the world Congress is soulless.

They should make it function more like the one in Alpha Centauri, if memory serves.

acluewithout likes this.
  9. azmundai

azmundai Chieftain

being forward settled and locked into 5-6 cities on any difficulty that is interesting funnels the game into very repetitive and boring early game wars ..

MisterBoomBoom likes this.
  10. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

My problem isn't so much with diplomatic favor itself, but more with being spammed with trade requests that no player would ever agree to, asking for strategic resources or diplomatic favor or great works, or asking me to pay them for the privilege of joining their war. Especially when they just denounced me the previous turn.

It would also nice if the "What would make this deal work?" button actually worked.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  11. tedhebert

tedhebert Chieftain

I think it's incredible. No it's not perfect by a long shot, but still... Far and beyond any other game I've played in the last 4-5 years, except for maybe Witcher 3...

King Rad and Stilgar08 like this.
  12. Red_warning

Red_warning Chieftain

It's easy to deal with if you make sure to research floodgates before you build coal power plants everywhere.

MisterBoomBoom likes this.
  13. Leathaface

Leathaface Warlord

The new content is solid but the AI is still poor so I wouldn't recommend playing it.

14. Jarms48

Jarms48 Chieftain

I skipped R&F so I think GS is pretty good. Not amazing as I think it could be much better, hopefully the next few patches addresses that.

I really wish there was more to global warming and the world congress. The AI also still needs some tweaks.

15. Packherd2

Packherd2 Chieftain

16. Sostratus

Sostratus Warlord

I think GS will be remembered as superior to BNW. Which, at launch, had some tweaks to be made too (like the social policy trees really got adjusted in later patches, I don't think the 2% per city tech penalty was in right away either.) i think the last patch was in like, 2014? 2015?
    BNW brought us trade routes and tourism, which have largely been reused as is in 6.
    I think that GS' addition of disasters will prove to be even more revolutionary. It makes games much more individual and brings the map alive in a way that BNW couldn't - which ended up calcified into 4 city tradition NC rush.
    Climate change needs numbers tweaking but the pieces are there to really make it shine.

17. Ziad

Ziad Warlord

I've enjoyed it a lot. The civs were fun and the mechanics were mostly amusing. I'd give it a solid 8 for entertainment and a 10 for aesthetics.

I'll probably pick up more games on my backlog now. Will return with a new patch. I'd like to see some balance changes and climate improved.

acluewithout likes this.
  18. Chocolate Pi

Chocolate Pi Chieftain

The real win for GS was making the R&F content good. Governors and Loyalty are very solid systems now. T3 governments are better. They even made Emergencies decent!

The civs added are really good--unusually well made. Balance is all over the place, but the content itself is all home runs. (Even trashy Canada's design is good, if you squint really hard.)

I was pessimistic about random storms/volcanos, but it's... actually quite good!

On the flipside I was hopeful about Power, and it's a mess. T3 buildings were already a noob-trap not worth building, and now they require expensive infrastructure for the privledge of doing so? Uh, no thanks, I'm good.

I was also pessimistic about World Congress; it's better than the junk in 5 and exceeded my expectations, but is otherwise weak? Favor works great, yet many of the votes are goofy, and the victory condition is a mess. It slows the game down even more with even more clicks, and that's before bring all the new AI trade requests...

The Climate Change whatever is... unfulfilled? It's not so much a disappointment as missing, sans for a few global effects that suddenly show up without warning in the mid-game 2 turns after a coal plant appears. There's no political interaction, no tough choices, no long-term environmental consequences. It's just, not actually a part of the game.

Grievances are a key improvement to the most sloppy and opaque aspect of Civ6 AI. Breath of fresh air, and has great rammifications for how the AI handles Religion.

Railroads, Tunnels, and Canals are cute.

Science Victory changes are a welcome two-steps-forward-one-step-back. On one hand, the 50-lightyear buffer provides a much needed backstop to prevent runaway players following exponential growth straight into victory. But now Science Victory's dramatic conclusion is just waiting for a bar to fill, with no counterplay beyond "win first?"

Cultural Victory is similarly improved with a caveat. The game badly needed something like Rock Bands, a "finishing move" for CV. But it's a little underbaked, very RNG-dependent, and very overpowered.

The updated strategic resources are the most underrated change--the previous system was asinine and did not represent the geopolitical dynamics we'd want to see in gameplay in the slightest. Now an oil-hungry empire needs more oil! But like the other brand-new systems, the math is off, and resources other than Uranium (and rarely Oil) are way too plentiful.

At the end of the day, I have no idea what scale I'd rate a Civ expansion on, much less what it would be on that scale. (What am I comparing it to? The other 2nd expansions to Civ 6?) But I find myself wanting a third expansion, if it will polish up the GS content as well as GS polished the R&F stuff--that polish was the real value here.

What concerns me is that both Civ6 expansions totally missed their titular themes. Past Civ expansions had broad-and-grandiose titles, and with Civ 6 the team tried to have a specific theme or narrative at the heart of the marketing. "Rise & Fall, Golden Ages & Dark Ages!" "Gathering Storm, Climate Change!" But these were kinda gimmicky duds, while the real value was in the polish and content. I just want to pay for more of that (accompanying gimmicks or not, either is fine), but the team clearly feels the need--to survive in this market--to establish a more specific narrative for the expansion product. And if they aren't delivering on that perceived need, that imperils the business case for any mythical third expansion.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    Buckets, Tannhauser and AriochIV like this.
  19. ezysquire

ezysquire Chieftain

It's good but the biggest bug bear is still the unpopularly weak leaders like Norway and England. Missed opportunity in GS too with a skifield special for Norway and a bit of diplo love for Vicky. No Brexit bother back then.

20. orasis

orasis Chieftain Supporter

THE GOOD

• The late game is much more interesting now. I think this is the first CIV game where I've still been engaged even when the industrial era is almost over.
    • The weather. I've been asking for this for I don't know how many years now. I'm very happy they've actually put it in the game, finally.
    • Power. Frankly, I'm surprised it took 6 iterations of the game before this was added. Makes you think a lot more about how you build your cities and use your resources.
    • Resource stockpile - This is excellent. I think it finally solved the too much, or too little problems that III/IV and V had.
    • Grievances system - MUCH,MUCH,MUCH Better than that other horrible system.
    THE BAD

• The 'board-game' feel is felt much more here than ever before. It's not the worst thing but I notice that it's harder to imagine a living breathing empire/world than in previous games (isn't that weird? Seeing as how we see much more of that 'living' world on the map than in previous iterations?).
    • The AI ... Better with districts,buildings and units but still bad at waging war.
    • Trade spam. As others have said... too much screens to trade for diplomatic favor.
    • The Weather - Disasters should have more impact. Maybe less frequent but causing more damage? Tornadoes damaging 1 farm... meh.
    • World Congress - So far I'm very, very disappointed in the choices. Unlike the weather, this does nothing to help the world feel alive. Mostly boring choices like "x resource provides double amenities" .. boring when it comes up over and over again.
    Oh... and... Emergencies are implemented better this time around... however, the AI rarely completes them.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    The Kingmaker likes this.