[GS] It's Been a Few Weeks, GS Thoughts?

How would you rate the Gathering Storm expansion?

• I don't have it

Votes: 14 6.3%
  • 1 (Terrible)

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 2 (Poor)

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • 3 (Alright)

Votes: 44 19.8%
  • 4 (Good)

Votes: 126 56.8%
  • 5 (Incredible)

Votes: 23 10.4%

• Total voters
About a month after the release of R&F, I made the same thread. In both cases, I wasn't able to pick up the expansion right away and was curious what people thought of it.

In the end I was quite disappointed in R&F and reading through the start of the First Impressions thread seemed like GS might be a buggy mess.

So, did they knock it out of the park or do we have another disappointment on our hands?

There are a few tweaks to be made, like any new release, but I enjoy GS for the most part. The greater immersion with the world around your civ is perhaps my favorite part. Disasters add a new life to the game, and the balance between the traditional negatives of these acts of god with some intriguing positives give it a fresh take. Plus, I love how the simplicity of naming natural features creates a connection to the map we might not otherwise have.

Also, Mali and the Inca are back in full-force, so how can the game not be good?

I have my issues with it, but it's still fairly fun to play. Many (though not all) of the problems I have can be easily addressed via modding.

About a month after the release of R&F, I made the same thread. In both cases, I wasn't able to pick up the expansion right away and was curious what people thought of it.

In the end I was quite disappointed in R&F and reading through the start of the First Impressions thread seemed like GS might be a buggy mess.

So, did they knock it out of the park or do we have another disappointment on our hands?
It's neither a home run nor a disappointment. It's a good expansion that adds a lot of nice features and some pretty good new civilizations, including some (Hungary, Mali, Inca, Maori, and to some extent Phoenicia) with asymmetrical attributes that really change gameplay... which is something they really haven't done before.

It's not bug-free, but I found it to be a less buggy experience than R&F or base Civ VI.

However, it's still Civ VI; GS doesn't radically change the core game. If you didn't like the series so far, I'm not sure GS will change your mind.

Voted alright, once they do a balance tweak on the whole climate thing, I'll say it's good. I think they've missed the point on two many parts of the elements (world congress in particular) to be rated incredible, but hopefully they'll change that in time, or it can be modded.

I think R&F changed the game a lot more. To me, GS feels more like a pack of civs + wonders. Yeah there are natural disasters and global warming etc but they are relatively small changes, with the exception of river flooding which can be frequent.

Diplo victory is so slow it's basically a nonfactor. The world congress doesn't do that much either.

It had made the game a lot more fun to play in my opinion but there are some things that I would like to be tweaked and some core problems with the game itself that still hurts the experience a bit.

But I'm very happy with it overall, it gets a 4 from me.

I haven‘t really gotten around to play, but I voted alright. There are good ideas, but some elements seem a little bit arcane (as in: appearing complex) such as Diplomatic Victory while others seem incomplete. Natural Disasters for example would be ideally suited to tie into the Religion game, but they don‘t. Might have been a way to make Earthquakes matter. It does feel like they left things open to fix in a next expansion (see: Governors). And finally, there isn‘t that much added for the hefty price, so it gets a middle of the ground 3/5 fulfills expectations from me.

The more I play less interested I become. Mayor balance and AI problems are there ... you never run out of gold, you never have amenities problem, you never lose war against AI after medieval period, new civs are overpowered, you can be Hitler and win diplomatic victory, Science still to important and overpowered etc etc

I like the natural disasters and being able to choose how much they affect you.
The new civs are great, I do not feel they are more op than Genghis or Nubia.
I am quite annoyed with the SV, you used to be able to play it eloquently without it getting boring, they have now delayed that last part and made it a grind.
Diplomatic favour has cheapened gold and made that side of the game easy, no longer do I have to think about gold like I used to, more challenge gone from the game. Favour should not be tradeable like it is.
Diplomatic victory is just poor.
The new cavalry units have buffed the strongest branch of units, less challenge.
Rock band are just OP, indie bands are stupid, less challenge all round.
Future tech branch is silly all round.
Dams are way too expensive, 3rd tier building are not strong enough and not needed.
Grievances are a failure, I can just ignore them and they can be exploited
Looting is beyond a joke and ruined the fast game.
Power and production are relegated to unnecessary builder tools.
So great civs and disasters but pretty much everything else is just yuk. The game is too easy, not challenging, it’s immersion aspect has become too unreal for me.
It’s a bag of broken toys with a couple of nice ones, so poor from me. But to be honest, standardly poor.

It is a shame because key concepts of civ 6 are really clever and provide great choice which is definitely an advance on civ 5. But so many bugs not fixed, exploits, surreal choices.

I am quite annoyed with the SV, you used to be able to play it eloquently without it getting boring, they have now delayed that last part and made it a grind.

I actually like the new science victory. There's some uncertainty to it I like. My current game I'm neck and neck with Inca, and I wasn't sure of the correct future era path. I actually chose seasteads path which was wrong, but seasteads were quite useful to me regardless because of all my sea tiles. We both completed mars habitation, and I'm still not certain I will win this game. I'm surprised at the ability of AI Inca to do so well with me as Netherlands. Shows how much more valuable their land tiles are to my sea tiles.

I'm still finding challenge in this game, but I'm not a top level player.

I'm starting to slow down on the game, but I'm still enjoying it. May try and complete my scenario achievements then take a little break. Still want to play all leaders to light them all up on hof.

I'm enjoying it but its not perfect.

-I agree Diplo favour shouldn't be tradeable, In my Phoenicia game I was making close to 1k gold a turn because I'd trade favour which I didn't really care about since I wasn't going for a diplo victory.
-Allow us to trade resources per turn instead of just all at once and continuing every turn
-World Congress as a whole needs a lot of work.
-Haven't tried for a diplo victory because of how much of a grind it is
-Natural disasters are a neat feature, I like them but turn them down to intensity 2 because I find any higher and it's too much
-Canada needs some major buffs which I hope happen but doubt will (Georgia never got any and they're still last place)
-New Civs are for the most part fun. I don't play anything really other than culture victory because the rest seem too easy (Domination) or too grindy (Science...just keep clicking next turn). Religious is decently fun.

I haven't made it to late game because I usually finish too early. Thats a me issue though because I Mod heavily and use things like more natural beauty, wonderous wonders (adds wonders, changes currant ones), the civitas mods etc that add a lot of power to the game so take my opinions with that knowledge that my game is modded to hell

It's alright for me. Many nice new ideas and toys to play with, very pretty updated look, but the balance of all things and the game pace is completely out of whack as before, UI as atrocious as before, AI as hopeless as before.

Sounds like it amplified Civ VI's biggest flaws (pacing, victory conditions, balance, UI) which is really disappointing.

I was really excited for the asymmetrical civ designs, but I had a nagging feeling that the other new features seemed half baked. Looks like that gut instinct was correct. I'm not sure I can justify a $60 price tag from what I'm hearing.

Top Bottom