1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Judicial Discussion JR1 CoL Ratification Poll legality

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game: Citizens' started by DaveShack, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Black_Hole

Black_Hole Chieftain

What I said was that voting in a non binding poll wouldn't be of use, because the losing side could still try to ratify their CoL, and we would have two CoLs trying to be ratified. Binding polls actually force people to stuff, opinion polls don't do so as strongly

2. Blkbird

Blkbird Chieftain

In my opinion, YES, except when the poll is clearly impossible to be non-binding. As an example, an election poll or a Constitution amendment poll is automatically binding without explicitly saying so because they obviously cannot be non-binding. As long as a poll could be non-binding, it is implicitly non-binding unless explictly stated otherwise. The principle here is that no person or decision should have power over others which are not explictly granted to him/her/it.

3. Black_Hole

Black_Hole Chieftain

I think those two links could be considered "Mandate", because they were posted by elected officials(founding fathers)

4. Black_Hole

Black_Hole Chieftain

Well then we could take back practically every decision from past DGs, we have been violating the WOTP all of this...
    Also who gets to decide when is "is clearly impossible to be non-binding."? This is definetly an opinion...

If you read the constitution:
    According to that, any poll posted by an official of that department is binding, I am not reading anything that says the first post must have the words "This Poll Is Binding"

5. Blkbird

Blkbird Chieftain

Constitutionally that wouldn't be a problem. The CoL getting ratified first is in effect, and would most probably then make the second ratification illegal.

6. Blkbird

Blkbird Chieftain

That is an obviously wrong interpretation. That paragraph says a poll is a Referendum if it is: (1) official AND (2) binding. There is nothing suggesting a causality between "official" and "binding", they are two parallel attributes to the same subject ("poll").

If I say, "I'm getting a ride in form of a big, black limo", would that imply all big limos were black???

7. donsig

donsig Low level intermediary

Another question (or two) from the bench:

Are Founding Fathers considered officials? If so, under what circumstances should polls posted by Founding Fathers be considered referendums?

8. Black_Hole

Black_Hole Chieftain

I would say so, they were elected in the following polls:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=136312
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=136310

They should be considered referendums when the poll deals with pregame options, their official title is "Pre Game Council"

9. Blkbird

Blkbird Chieftain

I would also say that members of the Pregame Council are in fact officials.

A poll posted by one of them should be considered a Referum if (and only if):

1. It's posted after the ratification of the Constitution (before that "Referendum" is undefined); AND
    2. The poll is regarding "pregame organization and planning", as specified in the polls through which the Pregame Counsil is elected; AND
    3. The poll is binding (the creteria for which is obviously disputed between us).

10. Blkbird

Blkbird Chieftain

I'd like to add that there is nothing preventing an official from posting non-binding opinion polls dealing with subjects within the authority of his office. And there *shouldn't* be anything to prevent that, either.

Therefore, a poll by an official dealing with subjects of his office is by far not automatically a Referendum.

11. Black_Hole

Black_Hole Chieftain

Well it seems your main argument is that a poll has to specify it is binding to be binding, so I will argue against that point.

First, lets look at the following polls (in spoiler):

These are all of the enviroment polls, none of them say "This Poll is Binding", so I guess none of these are binding and we must redo all these polls.

And the following links are examples of binding polls in the Civ3 DG, that don't say "This poll is binding"

And those polls were just on the first page...

The point I am making, 90% of binding polls have never said "This Poll is Binding", why are we changing this now?

12. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

This review seems to come down to a tradeoff between two principles.
    • We value fairness
    • In the face of adversity we don't go back for "do-overs"
    Suppose we were in the middle of the game, and were discussing which of several possible enemies to go to war against. A binding poll is held between Greece and France, with Greece winning the honor of being our next victim by a narrow margin. A subsequent poll to declare war wins by a huge margin, which of course isn't a big surprise. We play a few turns and end the session. Then the unthinkable is revealed, someone with a pathological need to beat up on Alex has rigged the "which victim" poll, and we're at war with the wrong enemy.

Do we:
    • Carry on the game, possibly with some wailing and gnashing of teeth that we really wanted to stick it to Napoleon this time?
    • Drop everything and go back to the save before we declared war, plan for a different war, rerun the war declaration poll, and replay the turns?
    But we haven't played any turns, you might say? Is this the same thing or different? This is the dilemma I face in trying to rule on this case.

13. Black_Hole

Black_Hole Chieftain

I thought you weren't ruling on those decisions, but on whether the CoL is actually ratified

14. Blkbird

Blkbird Chieftain

These poll are in fact all non-binding, in my opinion. However, I don't understand how you jumped to the conclusion that "we must redo all these polls" at all.

Non-binding polls still have relevance because they are one kind of decision making process, as defined by the Constitution. They're significant as long as not overruled by a nothing decision of higher priority, again as defined by the Consitution.

15. Black_Hole

Black_Hole Chieftain

What I am trying to point out, is there polls were all considered binding and always have been

16. Swissempire

Swissempire Poet Jester

Daveshack, that is a very good metaphor( not the right word for it, maybe situation). I say that we must keep going in that situation, and that we cannot turn back in the face of adversity. While it is unfortunate that the polls were rigged(in our game and your situation), we have already begun down the path, engaging in war, or in the real case, holding elctions and getting everyhting ready for the demogame. We shouldn't just drop everything and turn back!

Also since the people overwhelmingly voted for war, they may not have originally liked the choice of enemies(or governemnt systems) but they did approve the outcome and set it into motion(ratifing the code of Laws), and assuming we were winning the war in your situation, you can draw a direct parrall to our current situation.

Why illegally get rid of a good thing for somehting else that may/may not be better. Why get rid of the conquered cities(elected officials)? Who knows if you get trounced by france or not. Then if you do get trounced to you go back to the older save? This cowards way out opens up a whole new can of worms!

17. Blkbird

Blkbird Chieftain

I have to agree with him, DS. Even though your example seems fully equivalant to our current situation, your question is the wrong one, in my opinion. Something cannot be illegal just because declaring it legal would be bad for the game - and vice versa. As I've said before, justice knows no price.

Besides, we have, at any time, the final tool of Constitution/CoL amendment - in extreme case a retrospective amendment. As far as I know, it is possible for most justice systems to retrospectively declare an action legal (a pardon, if you will). Of course the reverse - retrospectively declaring an action illegal - is not possible in any sane justice system.

18. Black_Hole

Black_Hole Chieftain

this discussion is about the constitutionality of the CoL ratifacation

19. Blkbird

Blkbird Chieftain

Do you have any evidance that those polls "were all considered binding" or is that just your personal impression?

20. Black_Hole

Black_Hole Chieftain

For one thing, whenever someone didn't want a poll to be binding, they either stated: "This poll is non binding" or "This poll is informational only"

Second lets talk about the defintion of "binding", in my opinion it means elected officials are forced to follow them, in the past informational polls would guide the elected official but they wouldn't be forced to follow them