Jump from Civ IV to VI? or give Civ V a try?

Thanks a lot for the comments, lol @some of them.

I agree it will be wise to wait for the expansion packs & adjustements on Civ VI that will take some more months. So I think I will look or wait for a discount on Civ V and buy it, maybe it helps me to leave minecraft for a few months. =P

Good Luck. :)
Me, I skipped Civ5 and am going straight to Civ6.
I don't need every version of everything. I skip songs and movies too.
I wish I had skipped MOO3. Hindsight is 20/20 of course.
Civ6 looks different enough to try.

I never bought Civ V until about 2 months ago when I saw the price of it and all expansions and DLC was $12 total. I agree with Sulla's article, and yet have still put in hundreds of hours, because no matter what its gameplay flaws it's still a game with incredibly high production and entertainment value. Even if you simply just go easy mode and check out all the different civs & bonuses & other new (from IV) things about it before you hate it, you will probably put in many hours. Therefore the "risk" of checking it out is probably paying about two cents per hour. Way better than a bad movie or lunch, go for it.

Depends why you dislike Civ5. If it's about 1UPT I have bad news for you.

We haven't seen much information on the unit stacking, corps and armies. Those mechanics could make a big change for 1UPT.

The question then becomes: does the AI make good use of the mechanics?

I think it depends on what the value of money is to you. I think a worst case scenario is you go in expecting to see The Godfather and instead see Goodfellas. Civ V is a bad game in the same sense that Helen Mirren is a terrible actress because she isn't Meryl Streep.

I would say don't bother with Civ V. Already I'm playing it and thinking, "It's going to be interesting how Civ VI have changed this or that.

Up to you but I wouldn't bother.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Yeah, I reckon it's worth it, especially in its feature complete form!

Skip 5.

No, really, skip 5. If you've been playing from the beginning, do yourself a favor and skip Civ5. It's half-baked, and that's an extremely generous opinion.

I tried to start another CiV game recently and couldn't keep up motivation because I'm thrilled at what CiVI will have in vanilla... My CiV-days are done. I have no experience of CiV-vanilla whatsoever (got the game after BNW was out). Too many flaws for me. I'm playing TW Rome II while waiting... :coffee:
I'd even save my 10 bucks on CiV complete and invest in CiVI

Civ6 sounds like it's going to add a ton of new concepts on top of what Civ5 introduced. Veteran players of Civ5 are going to be able to piggyback a lot into Civ6, but I do suspect that Civ6 will be a pretty giant leap from Civ4.

That could be frustrating. If you're willing to go into this new game as a complete blank slate, then by all means save some money. There are a lot of core concepts in the complete Civ5 that could interest you, however: 1 unit per tile tactics; city states; the religion mechanics (which will be nearly identical in Civ6); the new cultural victory with tourism (also largely carried into Civ6).

This is probably the best advice of the entire thread:

Exposure to the core changes introduced in 5 and refined in 6 can't really hurt.

Well...it'll hurt to the tune of around $50 on Steam to get the complete edition (which is the only edition you should buy). $50 is a different amount of money to different people. The game was well worth it to me, but for the few months before Civ6's release, only the OP knows his/her budget well enough to say if it's worth the expense.

If money is no object just preorder 6 now, buy 5 and play for a couple months while you wait.

Otherwise, buy 5 at like 75% off during fall or christmas sales or something, spend a couple years on it and then buy civ6 complete at same discount in ~2018.

I don't really believe in paying full price for any pc game these days.

I tried to start another CiV game recently and couldn't keep up motivation because I'm thrilled at what CiVI will have in vanilla... My CiV-days are done. I have no experience of CiV-vanilla whatsoever (got the game after BNW was out). Too many flaws for me. I'm playing TW Rome II while waiting... :coffee:
I'd even save my 10 bucks on CiV complete and invest in CiVI

I know what you mean, I can't start Civ 5 anymore, it's obsolete for me.. :p 2400 hours or so in it but Civ 6 just seems much more fun and deep.

Is TW Rome II fun? I've played TW Empire and Napoleon but not for couple years now.

Ive heard better feedback from warhammer than rome 2. Rome 2 feels like your average tw to me. Crappy ai but fun. I advise using some mods to make the AI a bit more of a threat.
Some player like the DEI mod but its too slow and boring for me.

Well...it'll hurt to the tune of around $50 on Steam to get the complete edition (which is the only edition you should buy). $50 is a different amount of money to different people. The game was well worth it to me, but for the few months before Civ6's release, only the OP knows his/her budget well enough to say if it's worth the expense.

Gamestop has it for $12.50 right now, the complete edition of course.

Is TW Rome II fun? I've played TW Empire and Napoleon but not for couple years now.

Yes it is though it is their most streamlined take on the franchise campaign management wise. I've got 1500 hours since launch mostly with mods.

As to the OP I think you should wait until Civ V complete comes up cheap and grab that if want a new game. So by that time atleast wait and see how Civ 6 turns out when it's released.
Remember there are other 4x games out there and when I look at some of the new features of Civ 6 I can't help thinking someone at Firaxis has been looking at Endless Legend ;)

But if you really do want to get Civ 6 I would suggest get Beyond Earth to tide you over until you do. Should give you enough hours enjoyment but it's not Alpha Centauri as that is what the Planet fall mod for bts is for.

But do you really need another another title in your Steam library for a short fix or for a long haul? I think that is the question to ask.

I know what you mean, I can't start Civ 5 anymore, it's obsolete for me.. :p 2400 hours or so in it but Civ 6 just seems much more fun and deep.

I simply prefer the setting of TW Rome, Medieval and Shogun over Empire or Warhammer...
I agree that Rome II is streamlined compared to Medieval or Shogun II. I dislike that, but it's still a good game nevertheless... The AI has no clue whatsoever - Civilization AI is gold compared to that... :rolleyes:

Skip 5.
No, really, skip 5. If you've been playing from the beginning, do yourself a favor and skip Civ5. It's half-baked, and that's an extremely generous opinion.

Well, it improved vastly with the expansions, granted some of the flaws could never get fixed...
I had a good time with CiV but can't stand to play it anymore even with vox populi, which is a pity, cause it's an amazing mod!

I simply prefer the setting of TW Rome, Medieval and Shogun over Empire or Warhammer...
I agree that Rome II is streamlined compared to Medieval or Shogun II. I dislike that, but it's still a good game nevertheless... The AI has no clue whatsoever - Civilization AI is gold compared to that... :rolleyes:

They improve with each iteration of the series on top of changes relative to epoch.
Shogun2 lacks combined sea-land battles and province system, but the atmosphere is great. Rome2 and Attila are fantastic.

One point of Total War game is what they put much more into immersion and history than into gameplay. It's really cool to see cavalry charge closeup, or arrows volley, but there are much less decisions which require actual thinking.

Given the ranty nature of this thread, why not get Civ5, play it, and then when you get Civ6, you can credit everything you like about it to Civ4 and everything that you hate about it to Civ5. Isn't that a win-win?

Top Bottom