Jumpmasters 1A: (Buying) a Stairway to Heaven - C3C 1.22, Emperor

Interesting!

Settling in place results in (at least) 4 coast tiles; 4 mountains; 2 grassland; 2 BGs; one cow; 8 of those are river tiles, and it's a coastal site.

As I say, interesting. Moving the worker to the cow will reveal (at least) 3 more squares...

As you say, moving the Worker to the Cow seems to be the optimum first move.

Ted

Can we get an expert opinion on the possible results of the barb hut if we settle right down? If I'm correct, it's a tech (most likely CB, right?), 25g, a warrior, a map, or nothing...

Not even any way we can start on CB in order to get pottery, sadly...

Then again, we don't even know what Civ we are, so that's all guesswork about the techs ;)

orange = English?

IIRC we can get anything except barbs - because we have no units with a defense value > 0 - or perhaps a Settler (it would depend on when the one we have is actually destroyed by the game during settlement)

If anybody knows for sure then pipe up :)

<Edit> We can't get a city as the GH is on a mountain. </Edit>

Ted

this could be ottomans(?) or english
however, since it is on the coast i suspect it is the English

EDIT: After looking at the color closer, i think cant be the ottomans but could be the dutch

EDIT (again): after looking at the civ3 scenario editor, the ottomans, the dutch, and the english share a color with this, whether its primary or secondary

The variant says nothing about picking a research path, just that we can't spend money or hire scientists, so, pick a tech you don't want, open the F1 screen, make sure the slider is at 0, build the city, pop the hut, and there you are.

I need to know the nation before making any recommendations on builds, etc. Given the variant one thing we might want to consider is a farmers's gambit and, and if the civ is expansionist and seafaring, build scouts and boats until we have opened up the map.

A note on trading strategy: we need to know two counter parties before we make any trades for tech, then try to exploit the opening knowledge to its fullest. The risk is that the two other parties will meet on the interturn so we need to have as much map knowledge as possible in order to guess their movements (scouts and boats, again).

Can't wait for the weekend...

TedJackson said:
Tinkez said:
Which one to take? :scan: :scan: :scan:

One more time : :scan:

I'll take tails! Can I start or not :lol:

-Tinkez
Tinkez
Tails it is!

You can take 20 to start then we'll drop back to 10 turns each.

Ted

Cool! It was well worth the scanning effort :cool:

I'll take my turns at the weekend after the save is released and we've discussed a little of our strategy.
TedJackson said:
As you say, moving the Worker to the Cow seems to be the optimum first move.
Ted
This is definately the first move. I would like to settle on the spot as that'll allow us to build a curraghs in the future. Can't remember do we need alphabet for curraghs? If we reveal a juicy spot to the south after the worker move, then the plans may change.

The worker starts with a road and irrigation on the cow tile.

I guess the build order would be (if possible) : Currragh, warrior, granary, etc. Opinions?

-Tinkez

If we are the English, a curragh can be first, sure :) A civ without alphabet, though, and it's no boats for us until contact!

Tallanas said:
If we are the English, a curragh can be first, sure :) A civ without alphabet, though, and it's no boats for us until contact!
Actually, it would be quite cruel from MB to create us a map with no contacts on the starting island and when we're not able to do research, that would be a REAL challange :eek:

-> Let's assume we have alphabet in the beginning OR a larger landmass with possible contacts. :thumbsup:

-Tinkez

Tinkez said:
Actually, it would be quite cruel from MB to create us a map with no contacts on the starting island and when we're not able to do research, that would be a REAL challange :eek:

-Tinkez

:shudder:

Don't say things like that, I'll have nightmares!

Might as well post a big picture of a clown or something! :aargh:

I've added some SG Etiquette Guidelines to the first post. Think of them as lubrication to keep the game running smoothly rather than as commandments handed down from on high :)

Tinkez said:
Actually, it would be quite cruel from MB to create us a map with no contacts on the starting island and when we're not able to do research, that would be a REAL challange
No... mad-bax wouldn't be that cruel... would he? :D

Ted

Bede said:
A note on trading strategy: we need to know two counter parties before we make any trades for tech, then try to exploit the opening knowledge to its fullest. The risk is that the two other parties will meet on the interturn so we need to have as much map knowledge as possible in order to guess their movements (scouts and boats, again).
I quite agree. It seems counter-intuitive but we're probably best served by delaying those early tech trades as long as possible, especially if we have Alphabet. The more (isolated) AI Civs we discover before trading the better the price we'll command for techs when we do finally trade and there's a fair chance that we'll effectively become the tech leaders for a while :)

Ted

I'm surprised at the experts. It's obvious you're not England. There are only two bars there in the picture, so you have no scout, so you're not expansionist. Ergo, you're not England.

You also won't get a settler from the hut if you settle-pop it. You need to have:
- Less than or equal to the average number of cities across the world
- No settler active or being built

If the settler is destroyed by the time the hut pops (and I think it is), you'll have one city and everybody else will have zero, so you violate the first principle. No settler possible.

I still don't think I'd move.

Arathorn

In C3C aren't the English Seafaring and Commercial?

I think there's a fair chance we get to be the Brits! ;)

Well...

Tallanas is right and Arathorn, most unusually, is wrong. England in [c3c] is Seafaring/Commercial. However, Arathorn returns to form when he says we can't get a Settler from the GH :)

Thanks for clearing up the GH issue Arathorn, I got halfway there then flunked out.

Ted

TedJackson said:
Tinkez said:
No... mad-bax wouldn't be that cruel... would he? :D
Yes, Mad-Bax WASN'T that cruel until he saw our speculations.... :lol: :mischief:

-Tinkez

Tinkez said:
Yes, Mad-Bax WASN'T that cruel until he saw our speculations.... :lol: :mischief:

-Tinkez

Are you saying there's some last minute editing going on?? :cry:

I can't even blame it on Monday morning or Friday afternoon. Fact is, I just got the traits from vanilla and PTW so ingrained that I can't keep up with the civs that changed traits in C3C. I'm fine with the new ones, but the old brain paths for the old traits are so well-worn, I can't seem to make new connections. Bah...getting old sucks.

Sorry for the mis-info on the one score. Glad y'all are around to keep me flying straight.

Arathorn

Old habits die hard ;)

I'm sure there must be something you can blame it on, though! The weather? Euro 2004??

If not, try my ever-faithful ruse... "Aha, you spotted my deliberate mistake! Glad to see someone's paying attention...!"

:D

Top Bottom