Jumpmasters 1A: (Buying) a Stairway to Heaven - C3C 1.22, Emperor

Notes for Bede :)

I started the GL since there were no other urgent options, and for the sake of 25 turns production from one city, several early MA techs would be excellent value. Especially at the price Alex wants for them... It could also easily be a prebuild for something else if the team are inclined to change this.

Militarily the Arabs don't seem terribly threatening, which is why I prolonged the war, apart from the possible implications to our rep if the MA had been turfed. There was no opportunity for pointy-sticking, either.

The second island is now full, pretty much, and all other expansion will have to be through war. I suggest prosecuting the war with the Arabs, and trying to farm a Leader or two. We *badly* need one for the FP on the second island. The Dutch/Arab island will one day make a nice SPHQ location, and will be called Island 3 ;)

Edit - we are strong compared to the Vikings and the Arabs, so maybe a dual war would be a good idea. There are certainly more Viking targets than Arab ones, so for the early battles, maybe Ragnar would be a better bet...

Looking good.

Got it.

Play tonight.

0-50
What a nice tidy little realm. There are four luxes hooked up, one tradeable and with another little town on the island we will have a second and with a road across the mountain at Richmond a second. We have horses and iron with spares not yet connected.

The geopolitical and scientific knowledge situation requires some thought.

Ragnar is on our doorstep and is still spending hs treasury on science as he has no gpt to spare (verifed by offerng Incense for which he will pay 0gpt)) and he is militarily weak.

The Dutch are on our east island with two little towns, are in Despotism, lack Currency, Literature and Monarchy.

Sumeria and the Greeks know Engineering and Monotheism, the Greeks know Republic but remain in Monarchy.

The Sumerians are far away, know only the Greeks and the French.

I don't really want Engineering yet, as knowing it will only make it cheaper for the Scandanavians, but I am tempted by the possibility of stealing Monotheism from Sumeria. they are embroiled in the Greco-Frank war with Germany, allied with the Greeks.

My problem with buying or stealing technology right now is the lack of brokerage opportuinites.We could give up Literature and all our treasury for Republic and then trade Republic and cash to Sumeria for Monotheism but again we lack counter parties with anything of value.

Given the size of the map and the number of other nations, I will let things percolate for a while.

After some more pondering I think I've found the key to the advances of the nations in the Greek Sphere of Influence. Greeks and Sumeria are both relatively wealthy and scientific. When they made their into the MA they pulled two different techs and Henry of Portugal bought Montheism from one of them.

Spot a village east of Alesun that just might hold some value for us so send some troops to hit the barb camp and visit the neighbors. Hope they are peaceful.

1-70AD
Pump York's population up to 12 with wokrers and then re-assign citizens to max production.

2-90AD
Cancel the alliance with the Dutch as Willie is our next target, I think. Here is the plan: set up horsemen and swords to attack Middleburg, then sell Willie a new government. As so as he revolts attack Middleburg, get Willie off East Island, then take a peace deal. Willie lacks iron so the strongest oppostion we will face will be archers and spears and maybe a horseman or two.

3-110AD
Sack a barbarian camp and collect 25g

Netherlands and Arabs sign a peace treaty.

The Arabs have learned Literature and start the Great Library in Mecca pop8 and poorly developed.

4-130AD
The Scandanvains have learned Feudalism. Time for some horse trading.

Buy Monotheism from Henry for Literature and 1300g. Fair price And the idiot Ragnar won't deal :mad:

The German war starts winding down as Germany and Sumeria sign a peace treaty.

And Abu lands a warrior and settler on East Island.

Portugal starts the Great Library and the volcano erupts all over Molde. :lol:

5-150AD
Found The Mumbles between Cambridge and Gloucester

Sell Literature to Willie for 181g

Vikings start SunT's

6-170
Get 50g from the Goths
Destroy the Arab village of Mansura
Sell Literature to Sumeria for 140g +5gpt and to the Greeks for 33g and 12gpt
Lose a galley to the Arab.

Spend some of it rushing a settler out of Reading

The Dutch and the Greeks and the Sumerians start the Great Library

7-190
Cancel the Alliance with the Babs.

8-210

9-230

Steal Republic from the Greeks for 1500g and Ragnar the greedy wants Republic, Monotheism and 100gpt for Feudalsim, Sumeria will sell Engineering for Republic and 5gpt or he will buy Republic for 25g and 35gpt. This one will take some thinking on, for if we buy Engineering then we lower the cost to Ragnar on his way to Invention, but I decide it is worth it to increase the value of the Great Library.

These Middle Ages techs are getting expensive.and it is completely throwing me off my stride.

10-250AD
Destroy another Arab ville founded on the rubble of the last one. Ragnar's price for Feudalism is now down to 90gpt and Republic. The trade remains on the table.

Got the equivalent of 15 turns on the GreatLib, it will finish in 7 and judging by my map reading it is a lock.

There is a little invasion force assembling on the south coast of East Island. Horsemen swords and cats I t can be turned on Ragnar or Abu or WIllie depending on one's preference.

We are down only Feudalism to the Greeks and the VIkings and Feudalism can be bought from Ragnar if we wish to spend the coin.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=62791

Nice work Bede :thumbsup:

Sorry,

I'll have to skip this time :(

Which means that... Smellincoffee is up!

Ted

Mistfit said:
Takes one to know one :lol:

Looking good here guys. I think it is pretty interesting that your team and ours have been the tech leaders most of the anchient era. Keep up the good work.

This thread may win "Most DotMaps Ever Award" :D

How dare you imply I'm Welsh!

As to the spam, I like to think that (almost) at least half my posts are constructive... :mischief:

Like this one... Err... We need more discussion from us Silver Wings! Come on MTGFreak and SC - don't make me do it alone!!

EDIT - SC, are you there? In order to progress this game smoothly, we really need to try to stick the the 24/48 rule...

:bump:

Anyone out there?

With Ted skipped and not online, and SC not answering, shall we move on to Tinkez?

I think Tinkez is also on sabbatical until tomorrow the 29th, so if you can play, take it away and we'll slot Tinkez in after you.

Ok, "got it" - will play today.

Apologies to the team but RL has reared its ugly head and it looks as if the next month, at least, will be too full for me to play any Civ. This leaves me with no option but to retire from all my SGs :(

Hopefully I'll be back in the autumn.

Ted

My apologies guys, I looked at the wrong week of the calander. I'm actually back a day before I thought I would be (lots of RL stuff to do for church and college) but I wrote down the wrong date in my sig. :blush:

Hmmm... At least me and SC are around, if Tallanas does not show up by tomorrow evening, he will be skipped :p

Let's get this game moving again (even though Ted is not pushing us anymore :( )

Sorry guys, I was looking to play the 29th, but things got hectic and my weekend was total chaos... All my SGs have come along at once as well, so a skip would be sensible this time. Sorry!

Top Bottom