Jumpmasters 1A: (Buying) a Stairway to Heaven - C3C 1.22, Emperor

Looking good Bede :thumbsup:

Just two small points for mtgfreak: the taxman at Hastings can be fired and there's a new border to be investigated South of Argos:

Good luck

Ted

Pre turn check: Fire the taxman at hastings, it grows in 9

Turn 1: London Settler-> Settler, Hastings Warrior->Settler, Liverpool Worker -> Worker, Settler founds Exeter on pink spot, workers mine near york, archer kills barb

IBT barb kills archer

Turn 2: Brighton Worker-> worker, Norwich worker->archer, move archer to exeter, Coventry Warrior-> Settler

IBT: Fortified archer in exeter kills barb

Turn 3: Moving around

Turn 4: Warwick Temple-> Galley, found Cambridge on Green spot, could get wines and 370 from Scandinavia but realize wines is 6 turns from being hooked up

Turn 5: York Settler->Settler, Reading Worker->Archer, crack the whip on leeds to finish harbor, found Gloucester on yellow spot, contact hittites

IBT: Barb dies to warrior, Vikings found Molde on worthless tundra on home island

Turn 6: Hastings Settler-> Settler, Oxford Granary-> Settler, Leeds Harbor-> Spearman, find iron on secondary island

Turn 7: London Settler-> Settler, get 2gpt +180g for horseback riding from dutch, Get currency from Greece for 1550g + 2gpt, build embassy with babylon for 55g

IBT: Vikings found Alesund on secondary island near spices

Turn 8: Got maps from goody hut

Turn 9: Dover Worker->Archer, see dutch city on secondary island

Turn 10: Road to iron finished, York Settler-> Settler, Warwick Galley-> Galley, found Bristol on black spot in home island

Vikings have construction and are willing to trade it for currency, dutch have construction also

Tallanas, MTG is a trading card game

Ah yeah, now I get it - Magic, the Gathering, right?

Good turns too. I checked out the save, and it looks like the settling is going well on the second island, and the map making looks good also. Now we just need lots of military...

Just checking above - is that right 1550 for currency, or was it 150?

@Tal,
190g for currency at monopoly is not possible. When I checked Greece's price it was more than what we could raise even with over 1000g in the treasury. 1590g is about 2X value.

Buying at monopoly for cash when you don't have counter parties with techs and/or cash to make up the difference is commercial suicide. That's why I suggested trading tech for tech with a little cash thrown in on either side depending on the relative values. (BTW, you can get an approximation of knowledge values by cranking up research to the max and multiplying the turns required by the income delta from 0% to 100%.)

220g for HBR from the Dutch is about right given our position with it but I would rather have waited for them to have used the 15gpt we are paying them to fight the Arabs to research something else which we then could have traded for HBR.

Trading Currency for Construction will recover only half the investment. Can we get cash from the other guys as well? As I recall the situation the only people with cash were the Vikings and the Arabs....

Looking through the CrpMapstat screen it appears we can get close to recovery by peddling everthing we know, starting with the Vikings, then the French, then Sumeria, the Hittites and ending with the Dutch. Germany and Babylon are so broke they don't even get invitations to the party. (These island maps must be really hard for scientific nations that aren't commercial.)

Got it

Ted

Team,

I will be heading at Saturday morning for a work trip for a week and a half. I'll have Internet connection most of the time, but if the game is moving fast, I might not be able to react quick enough when my turn is up. I can play on my laptop during my trip. I will check the forums whenever possible.

-> I can be skipped if needed until 29th of July.

JM1A-350BC

Pre-flight checks... OK

0 - 350BC
I'll need to switch quite a few builds as I only see 7 sites to settle and we currently have 4 Settlers + 5 under construction. We also need a Harbour on East Island ASAP and some Swords.
Richmond switches to Warrior and hires taxman (cheaper happiness)
Lux 0%
Nottingham switches to Settler (pop control)
Liverpool switches to Harbour (multiple benefits & can pop rush sooner if it switches now)
Cambridge switches to Worker
Gloucester switches to Worker
Hastings switches to Sword
Oxford switches to Barracks
Sell Currency to Vikings for Construction + 292gp
Sell Currency to France for 136gp
Sell Currency to Sumeria for 134gp
Sell Polytheism to Hittites for 109gp
Sell Polytheism to Netherlands for 93gp
Upgrade 2 Warriors @ 60gp ea

IBT
Germany declares war on Greece :)
Nottingham Settler - Spear
Hastings Sword - Sword
Richmond Warrior - Warrior (MP)
Order restored at Richmond
Vikings start Temple of Artemis
Greece starts Statue of Zeus
Hittites start Temple of Artemis

1 - 330BC
Settlers head for sites on East Island
Settler boards Galley at Nottingham
Settler lands on East Island to the Southeast of Richmond
Ships explore
Workers work
Arabia, France & the Vikings have Monarchy (All 3 are in Anarchy)
Sell Construction to France for Monarchy + 7gp (all she had)
Liverpool whips Harbour
Revolution! Have to do it now as Arabia, France & Vikings are in the same boat and no sign of CoL or Phiolosophy.[/b]
We draw 3 turns of Anarchy - not bad considering the size of our empire
No Clowns needed!

IBT
Liverpool Harbour - Spear
Richmond riots - must have misread the faces :blush:
Netherlands start Great Wall

2 - 310BC
Settlers press on - one lands next to barb camp :(
Workers work
Ships explore - Curragh spots dark Red border
and transport troops & Settlers
Richmond hires taxman
Exeter hires taxman
Norwich hires taxman

IBT
Game crashes to desktop :( - reload & replay
Greece wants MA vs Germany - No thanks

3 - 290BC
Leicester founded (dispersing barb camp)
Carlisle founded
Settlers advance
Workers work
Curragh makes contact with Byzantium (annoyed) - they are down Masonry, Writing, Mysticism & HBR

IBT
Byzantium asks us to leave - we comply
Leicester ransacked by barbs for 42gp
Enter Monarchy :)
France starts Hanging Gardens

4 - 270BC
Vikings are in Monarchy (avg)
Arabia Monarchy (we're weak)
France Monarchy (avg)
Greece Anarchy
Sumeria Anarchy
The rest are still Despotism

Richmond & Norwich fire taxmen
Ipswich founded
Ships explore
Workers work
Upgrade 2 vet Warriors

IBT
Coventry Sword - Sword
Brighton Worker - Harbour (Fish & Whales)
Vikings start Hanging Gardens

5 - 250BC
Land Settler
Ships explore
Workers work
Gloucester hires taxman

IBT
France asks us to leave - I comply
Sumeria & Greece sign MA vs Germany
Settler killed by barb
London Settler - Barracks
Reading Warrior - Barracks
Greece starts Hanging Gardens
Athens (Greece) completes Temple of Artemis
France cascades to Hanging Gardens & Great Wall
Sumeria cascades to Hanging Gardens
Sumer (Sumeria) completes Hanging Gardens

6 - 230BC
Horses online :)
Galley meets Portugal (annoyed) - down Monarchy, up CoL
France, Greece & Portugal have CoL
Establish Embassy with Sumeria (53gp)
Establish Embassy with Byzantium (70gp)
Establish Embassy with Portugal (65gp)
Establish Embassy with Hittites (59gp)
Establish Embassy with Germany (76gp)
Sell Monarchy to Portugal for CoL
Buy MA vs Arabia for Polytheism from Babylon

IBT
Cambridge Worker - Harbour
Vikings start MoM
Arabia starts Great Wall
Mecca (Arabia) completes Great Wall
Greece cascades to SoZ

7 - 210BC
Spices hooked up
Portsmouth founded popping GH for Literature
Ships explore
Workers work
Vikings & Arabia have Philosophy

IBT
Hittites & Sumeria sign MA vs Germany
York Barracks - Market
Canterbury Granary - Settler
Birmingham Harbour - Galley
Gloucester Worker - Warrior
Vikings start MoM
France starts MoM

8 - 190BC
Ships explore - contact Ottomans (annoyed) who're down Maths, CoL, Lit & Map Making
Workers work
Dover hurries Temple (200gp) - Birka (Vikings has expanded border and we don't want to lose our Spices)
France has Philosophy
Buy Philosophy from France for 276gp
Establish Embassy with Ottomans (78gp)

IBT
Viking Galley spotted in the North
France & Hittites sign MA vs Germany
Nottingham Worker - Worker
Hastings Sword - Horse
Dover Temple - Spear
Norwich Spear - Barracks
Bristol Warrior - Worker

9 - 170BC
Ships explore
Workers work
Greece has Engineering but we can't afford it

IBT
Viking Galley arrives NE Molde - we may lose the race to the last site on our continent :(
Warwick Harbour - Spear
Oxford Barracks - Worker
Exeter Spear - Barracks

10 - 150BC
Ships explore
Workers work
Still can't afford Engineering

Notes & save follow...

Ted

Notes
I have a plan to grab the Iron hill on the East Island:

Simply sail the ship all the way through & land the 2 Swords S of the Iron Hill. There's a Settler under construction at Canterbury and a Galley waiting to transport him over. You can wait for the Settler to disperse the barb camp or use the Swords to mop them up.

I think we're going to lose the race to the last site on our homeland. But it gives us an excuse to build up our military and go to war with the Vikings.

The workers are mainly concentrating on improvements at York as this is our most powerful city at present. The team that has just chopped could road (1) and mine(3) the tile they stand on.

We still have some exploring to do and the last AI to find. Here's our intrepid explorers.

We have a monopoly on Literature, which we should hang onto as a bargaining chip for Republic unless we get a spate of AI entering the Middle Ages. At present only Greece has Engineering so it's well worth waiting until he trades it around before buying in.

There are quite a few wars in progress and I roped Babylon into our war with Arabia as they're close neighbours. We'll need to attack the Vikings fairly soon. Certainly before Chivalry allows them to build Beserkers.

The save is > here <

Ted

Eventful turns. :thumbsup:

IIRC, Berzerks come with Invention (archer upgrade and longbow replacement), so anything we can do to keep Engineering out of circulation is a good thing, or at least out of the hands of the Vikings.

Nice of Ragnar to build training camps for us. Too bad he didn't join in against Arabia.

Took a look at the dipomatic screen. It is odd that a seafaring nation with the GLight apparently only knows the closest neighbors :hmm:, though looking at the map he has villes not all that far from the Greeks (only about 10 sea squares between Karasjok and Pharsalos).

It looks like we have a settlement spot between Gloucester and Cambridge on the home island

Looks good, Ted :)

The more I think about UU, the more nervous I get! I certainly don't want to see Berserkers or Ansar Warriors running around our island...

Roster check:
Smellincoffee==========>UP :bump:
Tinkez - on sabbatical until 29th
Tallanas - on deck
Bede
mtgfreak
TedJackson

Got it, will play tomorrow.

:bump: itty :bump:

Thanks for the bump Bede.

I've been a little busy and I seem to be "up" in most of my SGs at the moment :)

Any progress SC?

Ted

No. This is the first I've been online in a couple of days. :(

The next player should go ahead and take it; I've been working all day for the past two days and it looks like today is going to be another full day of it. Three cheers for physical labor!

Roster check:
Tallanas - UP
Bede
mtgfreak
TedJackson
Smellincoffee-Working too hard
Tinkez -on sabbatical until 29th

Edit - vicious crosspost!

Got it...

You're up! We crossposted.

Take it away.

Pre-flight check...

I see that William has a worker for sale, so i offer him Philosophy for the slave and 125 gold. Maybe with philo in the bag, he'll start on Republic... We still can't afford Engineering... No research in the Middle Ages could get quite expensive. Is it worth building the GL?

IBT - nothing.

Turn 1 - 130 BC

Move the swords around to the iron hill, and lots of worker stuff. Nothing else of import.

IBT - London rax>spear; Leeds spear>granary; Athens finishes Statue of Zeus;

Turn 2 - 110 BC

Disperse the barbarian camp near the iron; worker moves galore. I have found the last AI :) Just dark blue borders at the moment...

IBT - Oxford worker>worker;

Turn 3 - 90 BC

Barb clearance gives us an elite sword. 3 clowns need to be hired for one turn until MPs complete...

IBT - Portugal and France ally vs Germany. Notts worker>market; Hastings horse>sword; Cant settler>settler;

Turn 4 - 70 BC

The last civ are the Maya; looks like they have no contacts and are quite backward... he has four cities and hasn't even discovered alphabet. I offer him a book to copy from. It occurs to me that he's playing a no research variant as well...

IBT - An Arab ship appears.

Turn 5 - 50 BC

The Arabs and Vikings have Literature! :rolleyes:

IBT - York market>Great Library (I'll explain why below);

Turn 6 - 30 BC

More of the same, some military moves on the island, some worker stuff at home...

IBT - Germany wants a military alliance vs the Hittites. No thanks. Arabia wants peace, but won't offer anything, and since we have alliances, I say no, for now. ROP with Vikings lapses

Turn 7 - 10 BC

More exploring, working, disperse a camp; no trades to do... Greece would accept Literature, 97gpt and 1180 gold for engineering. Ack.

IBT - London spear>market; Brighton harbour>temple (whale)

Turn 8 - 10 AD

Arab warrior moves into range... 2 horsemen board ship bound for island.

IBT - Trondheim completes mausoleum

Turn 9 - 30 AD

Found Bath, near the iron hill. Bit of a dump, for now to be honest. I'm beginning to wonder what's going on with the AI scientists... ONE middle age advance so far??

IBT - nothing of interest

Turn 10 - 50 AD

Me and my big mouth! Greece have Republic, Mono, and Engineering; Sumeria have Mono and Engineering; Portugal have Mono; none have Literature, so let's see what we can do. N.B I'm leaving this for Bede, as it's a bit off to do loads of deals on turn 10 ;)

Greece will pay 25gpt+80g for Lit... There seems to be plenty of trading potential here - Have fun with it, Brother Bede!

Wipe out another barb settlement near Middelburg...

Top Bottom