Jumpmasters 1C: We are a backward people! (C3C/Emperor/No Research)

SesnOfWthr said:
Funny thing: That's where mine is too. I only got to this last night because my pc crashed twice on me, and I got annoyed playing "try to keep the comp running long enough to capture the UN".
Well I don't know which team you are on, but I wish you luck, and look forward to playing alongside you again here. (Nice finish in EOC2, BTW!) Ours looks a little dicey right now. Wars in progress, MPP tripwires aplenty... and a stack of German Modern Armor, at the ready.

scoutsout said:
Well I don't know which team you are on, but I wish you luck, and look forward to playing alongside you again here. (Nice finish in EOC2, BTW!) Ours looks a little dicey right now. Wars in progress, MPP tripwires aplenty... and a stack of German Modern Armor, at the ready.

Team Alamo. We're much farther in the game than any other completion dates I've seen. Of course, we also had to eradicate the Chinese in order to induce the Japs into building the UN. *sigh* Ironically, the Japs are the only civ who aren't furious with us to this point, but that's about to change. Now they're almost done, and we'll see if our completely trashed rep will still allow us to get the vote from two of our early victims, Liz and Joan. I'll let you know tomorrow. ;)

Hey everyone.The game looks good so far.We should go for the yellow dot,but also i think we should get a city by the wheat to the south.I would love to play some turns but I dont have a computer at the moment.Im selling my computer for $1,600 so I can buy a 14 inch ibook(macs never crash!).So I wont be able to play for a bit.Just think,when I get my mac,ill be able to play civ everywhere...............(stops and thinks for a second,slightly letting out a sigh of bliss)..............Can't wait

bed_head7 said:
Is Conquests available for Macs?

The answer to that is a resounding "NO!"

If you are selling off your pc for a mac, I think you just inadvertantly withdrew yourself from the game. There is a possibility we could get you in on the vanilla team, but it may be too late.

I have made an inquiry into the Vanilla team for you, Slicknick. Will let you know if they think they can slot you in somewhere.

I think I could handle the next twenty turns, unless someone else is slotted. I will try to keep you all updated through my turns, when possible, so the ship can be righted if it goes off course.

Most times, the turns drop to ten per set after the first twenty.

I'll induce Scouts ire and say go ahead bed head. (heh heh - say that five times fast)

Well, I can wait for his okay. No big hurry, and there are still two other silver wings that we haven't heard from in a while.

Can you guys give me a little time to get back into this one? I played 2 demi-god SGs and finished SGOTM2 last night.

One thing's for sure... with this variant we need to handle some strategy carefully... and even some little things like worker move priorities.

@bed_head: I have no problem slotting you in next, but if you would wait just a little bit. I'd like a chance to take a good hard look at the situation... I've only skimmed Sesn's log.

@Nick: Have you already sold your computer? You do realize you can only play vanilla on a mac, right?

It appears we're missing a couple of the silver-wing crowd...

To the people who have never played an SG with me... which is everybody but Sesn.... I like a lot of discussion, especially in the early game. In SGOTM2 I had a couple of self-described regent level guys, and a couple of decent players (no GOTM medal winner types). By working together we achieved what (I hope) will be a respectable variant win in that game...

I know some of you guys are really chompin' at the bit to get started, but a little more patience now will make for a much more enjoyable game later. We can afford to make mistakes at emperor, but it's a lot harder to bounce back from them at this level.

Has everybody read Ision's "Monarch to Emperor" piece?

I have read most of the stuff in the war acadamy, including your marine article and review of the Ottomans, I think it was. I will look at Monarch to Emperor again, though.

Okay - I took a look at the save... We have a worker, 3 warriors, and a curraugh.

We have a setter in the queue due in 4, with growth due in 5. This is actually not bad... our regent/monarch level guys will need to get used to the unhappiness levels on Emperor.

There are a couple of Goody Huts we could pop, possibly getting a tech.... Or we could wait until the settler is finished, and maybe pop a settler.

My thoughts on build orders: After the settler is finished, start a curraugh. Sail it in the opposite direction that the last one departed.

Here are my thoughts on settling: (see dotmap in next post)

Top priority: 3 tiles east of the capitol, hilltop next to a cow. This would make an excellent site for workers and an occasional settler. Fresh water available (no need for aqueduct).

Second: 4 tiles SW of capitol, forest site. Good general city site. Fresh water.

Third: N-NW-NW of our capitol, hilltop next to wines, captures a wine that cannot be worked by our capitol. This is another food rich site. Fresh water. Coastal. Could be settled quickly once roads are complete over 2nd wine.

Fourth: 3 S of capitol, coastal, next to fish. No fresh water.

Next: Wheat sites (2 of them) both have fresh water. Might be able to settle one from cow town.

Lowest: The site to the far NW gets a fish, no fresh water. Low priority at this point. Might be able to settle from cow town.

My thoughts on worker moves.

1) worker finishes road
2,3) Mine, road Bonus Grassland
4) road
5) Irrigate
6) Road

The stuff I just posted is offered as suggestions. Anyone with questions or alternatives, feel free to chime in.

This build pattern may be tighter than some of you guys are used to. Tighter builds tend to work a little better at upper levels, for lots of reasons.

Order-of-Go:
SesnOfWthr - got us off to a good start
bed_head <-UP (any questions?)
undecided: on deck
scoutsout: warming up
undecided: waiting patiently
romeothemonk: On the bench
undecided: On the bench

So you're not concerned with trying to get a factory up and running then? I agree that the factory site is not as good overall, with a lack of a river, etc. However, I might even be in favor of disbanding the factory later, once all available land is settled. With the resources we have now, we could have a 4 turn settler and a 2 turn worker factory going simultaneously.

I would guess, if we can see the vast majority of our island now, that we'll end up with 12-15 cities on this island. If we're lucky, we may be able to grab a luxury on a nearby island as well.

Hello, comrades.

Sorry for making you wait this couple of days -my boss insisted that I should lead this progress meeting rather than looking after this SG in the forum... :rolleyes:

Anyway, everything is ready for Slicknick to join our roster. I suggest that you start reading the thread and looking at the GOTM25 and Mongol UU Treat Game to get familiar with the UUs. All links are in our thread and Alan offered his wisdom to support you in case of installation problems. Welcome! :)

@Karasu: Thanks for making room on your team for SlickNick. I appreciate that. (Once again, I owe you one!)

SesnOfWthr said:
So you're not concerned with trying to get a factory up and running then? I agree that the factory site is not as good overall, with a lack of a river, etc.
The problem is not the site itself (it is a good site). The problem is corruption implications. It's darn near impossible to build a 4-turn settler factory when you lose shields to waste. I learned this the hard way in a recent _OTM.

Since we've got good food at our capitol, and a cow a few turns away, we would have 2 cities with sufficient food to make workers and settlers. The second city (hill next to cow) could immediately start a worker... irrigate the cow, and move on to other projects.

Since we don't (yet) have pottery (a key ingredient in settler factories) having 2 high-food cities might actually work a little better for us than having one high-food granary city.

I would guess, if we can see the vast majority of our island now, that we'll end up with 12-15 cities on this island. If we're lucky, we may be able to grab a luxury on a nearby island as well.

It's going to be tough to settle off this landmass since we're not allowed to research. The AI will have plenty of galleys in the water by the time we get MapMaking. I think we'll have our hands full settling this landmass for the time being.

And I'm not convinced that we're entirely alone here. I saw a couple of potential land bridges....

Edit: Another problem with the settler factory site: it needs a border expansion. We pay full price for cultural improvements, even if we have the tech.

You're right that corruption makes everything more difficult for factories, as we found out in GCF2, and LK69, IIRC. My answer for this was going to be to settle from the outside in, to negate distance corruption as long as possible.

However, you're probably right that the effort is not worth the gain. I estimate it would take 30 or 40 turns to get it up and running regardless. In that time, we can probably build two workers from the new city, and 2 or 3 more from our capitol.

Top Bottom