Just as we get near a final 1.21f patch..

Well, for me, without the mods created by others and the ability to create my own mods, the value of Civ III (and the odds of me buying a Civ IV) drop dramatically. Especially without any multiplayer ability. I would much rather buy a game like Warcraft III that has all those features than any game (no matter how much I loved the previous versions) without it.

maybe we mac users should stop buying games from firaxis/infogrames/macsoft and other companies which takes the same (or money) from us as from pc users whithout providing the same value/service/respect ... apple should reconsider this "switch" comercials. >>let's see, i switched to pc because there is no other chance to play the world<< gggrrrr......

According to Brad, updating the editor to 1.29 is a major job which is on no one's drawing board, so my guess is that any fix there would be part of a PTW Mac offering.

So let's discuss option #1: getting v. 1.29. Brad Oliver said it would be child's play to do, as long as the editor changes are ignored. Why don't we push for that - a quick and dirty patch - that will allow us to remain current with the PC majority on this forum?

Originally posted by Txurce
According to Brad, updating the editor to 1.29 is a major job which is on no one's drawing board, so my guess is that any fix there would be part of a PTW Mac offering.

So let's discuss option #1: getting v. 1.29. Brad Oliver said it would be child's play to do, as long as the editor changes are ignored. Why don't we push for that - a quick and dirty patch - that will allow us to remain current with the PC majority on this forum?

Because we paid for ALL of Civ III. [punch]

my suggestion would a big spam of firaxis... let's send them thousands of email until they understand they don't have the right to steal from mac players... becose making us pay the same as PC users and not supporting us is stealing directly from our pockets...

Ag4Apple: very clear; succint; I concur.

I posted my agreement with something a couple of pages ago. Sorry. What I'm agreeing with is the need to get a full version of Civ3 as a Mac user. However, I know that's just not feasible, because:

1. Brad--one of the keys to all this--is swamped with other work and may just get the 1.21 Editor out, but is unable to fit more Civ3 work into his schedule.

2. There aren't enough of us for Infogrames to commit resources. Like the Germans, we don't rate on their project initiation lists.

I want to go on record (see my signature) as wanting the editor and access to a mod community in order to enjoy Civ3 properly. Until then this is a failed franchise and I'll look forward to Rise of Nations; Earth 2150; and Europa Universalis II to fill the gap. Civ3 could have been a great game for us, but it does not rate for me without an Editor and the latest patches that keep it concurrent with PC versions. Have a look at the ReadMe for 1.29f; it is 90% Editor related.

The other cloud on my Civ3 horizon: if we're getting this much delay over a promised editor and a simple patch, will we ever see Civ3:play the World? Having played Civ2 and been absolutely devoted to SMAC/X, I am really disappointed to have my expectations for Civ3 unmet.

Well, listen. I'll trust the community, but I fear that if patch parity isn't met then we're setting ourselves up for future disappointments. I see it this way: first, patch parity and second, editor w/ PTW expansion. Granted, I do not possess the necessary knowledge to even know if this is possible. But, as we wait for the editor w/ PTW we can be playing PC senerios, etc.

If you've not seen the parody on Apple's Switch campaign for mac-gaming, check out the link below. Its a 'hoot' and not far from the truth.

http://www.drunkgamers.com/switch0001.shtml

Dojoboy, that's basically what I said. Brad felt that an non-editor 1.29 patch - that is, one that allows you to play the same game as PCers, but do nothing else - is easy to do. People can say they will settle for nothing less than everything, but in that case, it's probably exactly what they'll get.

Originally posted by Trabpukcip
my suggestion would a big spam of firaxis... let's send them thousands of email until they understand they don't have the right to steal from mac players...

That might possibly be the most unhelpful thing you could do, especially with PTW unannounced for the Mac. As Nate said, wait for MacSoft to make a decision on the future of Civ3 before freaking out.

Brad

If I were in Firaxis' shoes, I know how I'd respond to getting spammed. I agree with Brad. Spamming is a dumb idea. Hopefully MacSoft will make a decision soon (and hopefully it'll be one we can all be happy with).

Yes, well, i think it has been clear all along. i suppose if you want the entire game package, you need a PC. Yep... this has been clear all along. It appears that what needs to happen is for Mac users, rather than spamming Firaxis, need plead with them to move future Civ games in-house. From what i have read from Brad on this issue, this would seem to be the ONLY way to obtain a reliable game on par with the PC user, other than simply using it on the PC. These, btw, are rather cheap on Ebay. And if you are going to pay more for a Mac game anyway, and suffer through these kind of disparities, then the money would probably be saved in the long run from the decision. Although Windows XP sucks, you don't see much of it behind a game screen.

i purchased the Mac game after using it on my PC for quite a while, hoping it would be a better version, even, as one would think that kinks and such would be worked out in the porting after the orignial release revealed bugs. A huge mistake, and a waste of money. Regardless of what the problem is, or where it lies, the bottom line is that as a mac user we are shafted when it comes to games. i think we should simply refuse their purchase unless we are positive that the game is properly supported and on par with their PC counterparts.

One of the very special things about the Civ games is their customization, scenario making, mod packs, etc. After the game is played to the point of no longer keeping your iterest, you can create your own games. The fact that the editor is not, even now, available makes the game only half a game. The notion that the editor and the game is left in the dust behind the PC side, leaves us with only a quarter of a game. This is the responsiblity of both Firaxis and MacSoft to address. It appears rather dim, however, that it will be to the consumers satisfaction.

i use a Mac because it is a better machine, so why go and pay for substandard software to put on it when you can obtain the true version for a cheap substandard PC that does one thing well: Games.

If gamers are not interested in the Mac faitful, we are only making fools of ourselves to continue to give them our cash, and even when we do so, apparantly, not enough Mac users purchase to make real development viable for the company.

Gottesfreunde,

If you really mean what you wrote just then. Why don't you consider moving to more fertile and receptive surroundings? If you look around you'll find plenty of open source projects (Freeciv, Teamciv, Clash of Civilizations etc..) that can use extra man- and brainpower.

The fact is that only with these projects "..you can create your own games.."

Surely this forum is a "fertile and receptive surrounding". Hopefully, Nate from Macsoft is reading our posts.

I have attempted to get involved in Freeciv, and Freeac, but there is no energy there at the moment. The point is that Civ3 exists--I played my first game in ages last night--but it will never be 'great' on a Mac without the Editor and concurrency with the PC community so that we can exchange mods with them.

True Sid. I love Civ - don't get me wrong. I am playing a game of it now in fact and doing pretty good. BUT.... What I really want to do is create a map of a favorite game of mine. I have been trying to do it in VPC, but it would be much easier with a Mac editor. I love Civ III, but without the ability to make mods or play the mods that the PC people put out, it will soon be collecting dust.

One thing I've noticed in this discussion is that some people are blaming Firaxis for the possibility of us not getting 1.29f. If my understanding is accurate, they don't have all that much to do with it (unless you count the fact that they keep releasing new patches). The people who could be blamed (assuming you choose to blame anyone) would be Macsoft as the Mac publisher.

And as far as that goes, this should have been predicted a long time ago - seems like the obvious result of Macsoft choosing to rely on Brad's doing the patches out of the goodness of his heart rather than specifically contracting for them.

(edited to clarify a couple points)

To further complicate matters, I recall Brad having said that Macsoft contracted him to do a certain number of patches - but not an endless number. This would take us back to Firaxis, who originally released a premature product requiring more patches than anyone expected.

Originally posted by Txurce
To further complicate matters, I recall Brad having said that Macsoft contracted him to do a certain number of patches - but not an endless number. This would take us back to Firaxis, who originally released a premature product requiring more patches than anyone expected.

No, that's not true at all. Please, wait for MacSoft to make an announcement before you guys go doing something that's possibly very destructive.

Brad

Top Bottom